Had a scary morning

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I was going down a street in Salt Lake City this morning after picking up. I saw a couple kids tossing around the football and I was doing about 25. Have you ever got the gut feeling something bad was about to happen? I slowed down to 15 when the kid threw the ball. The other kid jumps to catch it and the side of his face hit my trailer, then my reefer fuel tank, and his head hit the street. Luckily I got the truck stopped before it got to ugly. The kid that threw the ball got scared and ran. I get out with wet and stinky pants on and the kid is under the trailer out cold. I called 911. By this time there is a small group of on lookers that saw the whole thing. I was in tears and a couple of ladies were comforting me telling me it wasn't my fault which I already knew, but it doesn't make you feel any better. The Cops and EMTs came. The kid had no i.d. on him and was aware enough to tell who his folks were. The Cop took a report from me and took me to a place to park my truck and gave me a ride to the hospital where the kid was. He still didn't know who his folks were so I sat with him while he got something like 30 stitches in his face and head. This went down about 10 Mountain time and it was 3 Mountian time before he could remember who his parents were. They were called and showed up. About 4 the kid was released and his folks thanked me and gave me a ride to the truck. The really weird thing was on the way to the truck the Dad looked at me and said thanks for looking after my kid, and don't worry I'm not planning on suing you. I think that boy will start playing catch farther from the road I just hate it he had to learn like this.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Good instincts, always go with them, and great handling of the situation.
Very Professional.

moose

Veteran Expediter
There is a Hwy Hero happening every day , unfortunately they never make the news .
proud the share the roads with you.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
There is a Hwy Hero happening every day , unfortunately they never make the news .
proud the share the roads with you.

Thanks Moose. I wasn't really fishing for compliments. I don't think I did anything heroic. I just wanted to let everyone know this so people remember that when kids are playing ball next to the street all they are thinking about is that ball usually and what else is going on around them.

wellarmed

Not a Member
But the same applies to drivers, there just thinking of driving, or are they. you were and showed allot of hart I might add.:)

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Kudos to you for keeping a cool head, calling 911 was the smart thing to do, it call trained pros to the accident.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Kudos to you for keeping a cool head, calling 911 was the smart thing to do, it call trained pros to the accident.

I don't know how much of a cool head I kept. I was crying while on the phone with 911. The kid looked rough. I don't even want to think of how much worse it could have been if I was doing the full 35 allowed on that street. I wish all my pick ups and deliveries could be in strictly industrial parks that you don't have to go through a some what residential area to get to the place I'm going. You just never know what is gonna happen out here.

I can name a bunch of people from this site that I wished I had with me when this happened. Just watch out for the kids. No matter how big you are they very rarely see you.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
What an awful thing to have happen. I just can't imagine how scary and stressful it must have been. I'm so glad that the boy is going to be ok and that the situation wasn't any worse than it was.

I've learned, always trust your instincts. Always listen to that little voice that is nagging at the back of your mind. It's almost always right.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
GREAT JOB!!! Not many people nowadays would take the time or have the heart to go the extra mile and stay with the kid till the parents arrived. You are awesome!!! :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I bet money that the kid is good and "Road Broke" now!!! LOL!! A lesson learned the "hard way" for him!! Way to handle it.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Joe, I know you're not fishing and I'm not just handing out awards. You are absolutely awesome! Crying is cool, it only means that you are human and could feel the pain of another person. You did absolutely the right thing from start to finish! Kudos to you - you should be proud of yourself and your carrier should use you as an example of doing the right thing in a rough time.

Oh, and what Inky said.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The really weird thing was on the way to the truck the Dad looked at me and said thanks for looking after my kid, and don't worry I'm not planning on suing you.

RED FLAG!!!

I hope you had it in you to cover your bases before you left. Something as simple as getting names of witnesses, statements, etc. People can say this all the time; but when confronted with some bill they didn't expect, will usually come back to the one not at fault. And we all know what cash cows truckers are.

You did a great job looking after the boy; but look after #1 also!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
great job
kids near street alway drive me nuts
and people going run way on bikes
they think you walk facing traffic
they think you ride facing traffic and not with the flow of traffic