Ground flight : modern day crooks?

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
So, there are some crybabies out there. First of all, anyone expecting GF to go the way of T&K, don't hold your breath. Who are these whinners? Why don't they put their names on here? These are drivers who were given the opportunity to get into a fully equipped truck, with "NO MONEY" of their own invested, and go out and make a living. Drivers who can't even save enough money to deadhead 25 miles to get a load without getting an advance.

Yes drivers, read your contract. It doesn't say anything about layover pay, or advances, or loans when drivers say they need to get home. GF has never cheated a single driver out of a dime. If you are not happy in the truck, "turn it in", period.

Paul E Moyer/CEO
Ground Flight LLC

I put my name in here, why didn't you.

Thank you to gflight for letting me respond to this on his account.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
A living? Really I just saw the same truck in laredo twice this week and guess what? They have nit moved nor been given any perdiem, I guess if in your mind that's a living than there making it, from what I'm told there company owned trucks and please tell us how a person can survive on what there pay rate is????

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
So, there are some crybabies out there. First of all, anyone expecting GF to go the way of T&K, don't hold your breath. Who are these whinners? Why don't they put their names on here? These are drivers who were given the opportunity to get into a fully equipped truck, with "NO MONEY" of their own invested, and go out and make a living. Drivers who can't even save enough money to deadhead 25 miles to get a load without getting an advance.

Yes drivers, read your contract. It doesn't say anything about layover pay, or advances, or loans when drivers say they need to get home. GF has never cheated a single driver out of a dime. If you are not happy in the truck, "turn it in", period.

Paul E Moyer/CEO
Ground Flight LLC

I don't drive for your company, I drive a large truck! I call it how I see it ny friend, I've personally spoke to better than ten of your drivers and I've heard the same thing from every one of them, o/o run different and should be treated so but a company driver should be treated with some respect I believe, they scrape by and honestly I can't understand how they maintain on 10 plus days of sitting without moving and zero layover pay, how do you save for the slow times when you cant make a mile towards the positive? Please enlighten me here?

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Typos again my bad ( I'm once again in route in the bunk)

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The only problem I have with your statement is that GF does not have 10 drivers. Only 6 drivers drive our small trucks, the rest are owner op. As far as setting for 10 days, that has happened twice, and both times we have paid the drivers something for sitting. As we all know, drivers complain when not moving. If you don't drive for GF, than how can you post your comments as to fact when it is not.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
The only problem I have with your statement is that GF does not have 10 drivers. Only 6 drivers drive our small trucks, the rest are owner op. As far as setting for 10 days, that has happened twice, and both times we have paid the drivers something for sitting. As we all know, drivers complain when not moving. If you don't drive for GF, than how can you post your comments as to fact when it is not.

Your right I can't totally be sure I'm getting told the truth, but when I go back to the same truckstop in the course of two weeks and the same driver is sitting at the same location with out leaving, and the cashier even says " poor guys been here two weeks with no food " well than that kinda makes me tend to believe the man.

I know how this job works, I know the complaints associated with it, I've made a friendship with several of your current drivers and four of the former drivers and IMHO and this is totally my personal opinion " communication is lacking within your operation" I live out here and I know the pains associated with expediting , while its not my company it still saddens me that some drivers for some companies are treated like disposable people! Once again my opinion

spongebox1

Expert Expediter

Paul E Moyer/CEO
Ground Flight LLC

I own a 24 straight truck, tandem axl, were a team, good mvr, we will run all 48, please tell me what your company could offer me? If your an honest man than tell me honestly what you could offer us if we gave up on running independent and joined on with your company.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you don't drive for GF, than how can you post your comments as to fact when it is not.
The same way you can post here using someone's account other than your own. Unless you explicitly identify yourself in each and every post you make with someone else's account, you are impersonating another member, which is expressly forbidden and makes the account subject to immediate ban. If you want to continue to post here, I suggest you create your own username. Otherwise you simply won't be taken seriously.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
The same way you can post here using someone's account other than your own. Unless you explicitly identify yourself in each and every post you make with someone else's account, you are impersonating another member, which is expressly forbidden and makes the account subject to immediate ban. If you want to continue to post here, I suggest you create your own username. Otherwise you simply won't be taken seriously.

I've been on here for more than a year now, I'm not using someone else's account, I am making my own assumptions and drawing my own conclusions, like I said I can't be positive what's truly going on but I can say what I see.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
You want my name okay its Amy Harris and this is my account and second you want facts...here's some facts your website has mass typos and the stories we are talking about come from drivers of gf we are in contact with daily...I'm sorry you don't like the truth about your company coming to light.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Looks like a lot of "he said, she said". I don't know what is true and know little about this carrier.
So....I will respond to only what is written. We have a owner and reference some of his drivers as "crybabies", and then acknowledges he had vans sitting for two weeks. OMG.:confused:
Simply amazing.
It is indicated that he "paid them something" for sitting that long. Was that after two weeks? Every day? Who knows? No wonder the guy didn't have 25 dollars for food.
If a carrier just doesn't have that ability to find a load in Laredo for two unbelievable weeks, probably would have made sense to pay them to move somewhere else.
If a load can't be found for weeks out of Laredo, someone isn't looking.
Don't have to drive for them to make a simple assessment based on what is already posted.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I had the same problem with drivers. A lot of the drivers who are running out there don't know how to budget properly, or save for the hard times. The driver in my van was whining about how he needed to pay his cell phone bill and instead of paying his cell phone bill, he took the 150 dollars he earned on a load and used it to deadhead home over the weekend. This business is not for people who are broke, or people who can't manage their money properly. Even when you are driving for an owner, you are still running a small business. You have to budget accordingly.

I wouldn't go to work for an owner unless you have at least 1500 dollars saved up just to pay for fuel and road expenses for the first two weeks. That is what is so misleading about this job. Driving a cargo van isn't like working at a factory where you just show up, work for a week, and then get a paycheck. You have to put your own money up front to make money in this kind of business. I think that point needs to be emphasized more often to the noobs who come on here looking for advice.

I don't see how it is GF's fault that the drivers can't afford to feed themselves. That just shows me that those particular drivers were not financially equipped to get into the business. I had to wire my driver money a few times because he didn't have anything to eat, but the guy couldn't manage his money. That is why I just got rid of the van. Sitting is a part of this business. Sometimes you will sit for ten days; especially in today's economy. Plus from what I hear a lot, and from what I experienced when I was with GF, they don't bid low on freight. They always paid me a minimum of 90 to 95 cents per mile.

So perhaps they are unwilling to go cheap to get the trucks moving which is not always good for the driver, but they have a business to run with overhead. If they run too many loads for cheap rates their equipment will not get properly maintained, and shippers and brokers will then expect them to run for lower rates like everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with some of what you say until you get to the "anyone can sit for ten days". Ummm....no.
Doesn't mean some don't, but you can't hang it all on the driver if the carrier is failing to produce.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Looks like a lot of "he said, she said". I don't know what is true and know little about this carrier.
So....I will respond to only what is written. We have a owner and reference some of his drivers as "crybabies", and then acknowledges he had vans sitting for two weeks. OMG.:confused:
Simply amazing.
It is indicated that he "paid them something" for sitting that long. Was that after two weeks? Every day? Who knows? No wonder the guy didn't have 25 dollars for food.
If a carrier just doesn't have that ability to find a load in Laredo for two unbelievable weeks, probably would have made sense to pay them to move somewhere else.
If a load can't be found for weeks out of Laredo, someone isn't looking.
Don't have to drive for them to make a simple assessment based on what is already posted.

Why does the owner have to feed the drivers? The drivers should have had some money saved up before they went out on the road? Even when I worked for fleet owners I always had 3 grand on me for emergencies. Once again, this is not a job for people who are broke, or people who can't manage their money. It's a business.

I used to run a company where drivers would call in and whine all of the time wanting advances. Perhaps the owner of the company is getting tired of dealing with people who won't take responsibility for themselves. It's a tough gig right now for cargo vans. The economy is bad. I can understand how a vehicle can sit for days at a time.

That statement is even more evident when you consider the fact that GF does not bid low on freight. I know this because they used to pay me top dollar when I worked for them, and they bid on an On Call load once for a really solid rate; and refused to come down because they have their dollar cost to operate automatically figured into every load that they bid on.

Even though that kind of standard is not always good for the driver, I can certainly appreciate it. You've got to understand that by GF not going lower on their rates, their drivers might not make any money, but they also aren't making any money. I doubt they are doing this deliberately just to keep a guy sitting in a parking lot for two weeks. There is a lot of complaining being done because noobs don't fully understand how this business works before they jump into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I certainly think there are drivers that live dollar to dollar. I am not disputing that. Undercapitalization is what causes the highest failure rate in expediting.
And the owner may be tired of dealing with broke drivers. If some are sitting for extended periods of time, he probably hears it alot.
Might want to consider something else to do if that is the case. I don't know?
My opinion is that if trucks are sitting regardless of the rate they haul for, the carrier has some responsibility to deliver on their end.
At the end of the day the carriers that produce will keep drivers and the ones that don't...well they won't.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
There are two realities in trucking...in my opinion. First off, if your going to be out here...100's of miles from home...you best have a bank roll to work with. Secondly, if what your doing is preventing you from having or getting that bank roll....if there is even the slightest doubt as to whether or not you will have money to eat on... you need to be looking for something else.

It doesn't matter where the blame lies. What matters is, either your making money or your not. Finding ways to survive is just that.... survival. Making money has nothing to do with learning to survive.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
its like this a small company will let you sit for 10 days in laredo where the big company will sity you 5=7 days in yes that the great and powerful panther!! id be more mad with panther knowing they should have the more customers to get me out of there, and you will never here them say we will compensate you for sitting for 5 days since we didnt get you loaded. it is what is gf ive heard good and bad but not just cause they cant get you out of laredo, hell the big cat will do you the same way