Ground flight : modern day crooks?

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
So I've seen those little hello old pensky trucks for some time now, I've become acquainted with level current and former drivers over the last year and I gotta ask has anyone had any information on these guys?

The reason I ask is because it seems the GFS likes to tell rip the drivers off and expect nothing in the way of shame on there part, I understand its a dog eat dog world but to intentionally changing policy to avoid paying what is owed to the driver is totally underhanded and un acceptable!

I know karma has a way of settling things and I hope it happens in a swift fashion with the above mentioned company!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Forgive the typos, its hard to spell check while getting tossed around in the bunk on a non stop delivery :what:

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Mileage pay, layover pay and the drivers are responsible to cover fuel when deadheaded out of a slow freight area, four of there drivers have been sitting ten plus days and they just told them layover pay is only for winter months not summer, pesky pensky trucks

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Out of the blue after they owed the drivers there perdiem they said that layover was only paid shrug the slow time, as I recall its been slow all year

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If all these benefits were documented and included in a legal contract....they couldn't just change the terms without proper notice....that is, whatever it says in contract....other then that....yes you are screwed...

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I have recommend to those I know working there to go over their contracts and make sure they didn't miss anything. Unfortunately not everyone really goes over their contract in detail or still believe in the handshake...which is always bad for the employee.
I personally would have questioned their legitimacy when their website contains more grammatical errors than spongebox's posts typically contain.

)0( Nasmaste )0(

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Its the lack of concern for the drivers that is shameful, I guess some folks could care less about those who make them there money!

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
My grammatical errors are your fault : keep the truck steady and I would have less typos

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
My grammatical errors are your fault : keep the truck steady and I would have less typos

Couldn't you have...well, you know.... tapped her on the shoulder and told her that? Being right there in the truck with her and all? :D

On topic.... Hey, maybe this is going to be a double whammy week! TK and GF the same week .... wouldn't that be awesome! :thumbup:

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might be a few more to add to that list of "just hanging on carriers".

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
So I've seen those little hello old pensky trucks for some time now, I've become acquainted with level current and former drivers over the last year and I gotta ask has anyone had any information on these guys?

Is Ground Flight running a lot of yellow ex-Penske cubes now? I couldn't figure out your post and the connection between GF and yellow cubes. But I'm sitting here in Tulsa and, for the first time, see a yellow cube with doors lettered for Ground Flight. Two yellow cubes sitting next to each other, one lettered for GF, one not, but they seem to know each other and have been talking. Seem like typical everyday Americans. I realize that sounds like stereotyping maybe, or potentially racist. I say it only because most people jump to the conclusion that yellow cubes are all Russian. If I have a chance I'll get to know them thar Amerikans in this lot.

My experience in several different places with yellow cubes--as it pertains to expediting--is that they're now being driven by all sorts of people for all sorts of companies. A lot of Russians and eastern Europeans, yes, but also long-time Americans. And just like with any other type of vehicle in expediting, there are good and ethical drivers in yellow cubes and some that aren't so much. Most all I've met and interacted with have been honest straight-up people trying to make a living, some of whom have been driving for years.

Looks like the one here that's lettered has no sleeper, though many I've seen do have sleepers. Usually accessible from the cab and sealed off from the cargo area. Most are GM, have gas engines, and get around 10mpg.

Penske regularly purchases new vehicles and rotates out older stock from their leasing and rental fleets, and for at least the last year we've been seeing a lot of them enter the expedite market. Seems like a flood of them, because they're so noticeable. They're also highly favored by folks in the home building/renovation trades, and I've seen several in use for storage units.

They're entering the expediting market in droves because many of the '05 - '07 cubes, even with dual rears, are door-stickered under 10,000 GVW. In '08, its my understanding, the GVW went over 10,000 and we don't see many of those. So right now you can get an expertly maintained used cargo vehicle, within the age limit fora lot of places, and rated under 10,000, for as low as $7500, according to one driver I talked to. Who can blame someone for wanting to try one, even as ugly as most of the cubes are.

In my opinion, it's because they are big and yellow and have such visibly removed decal areas that they are SO noticeable and draw so much attention. If they were plain white boxes with white cabs, we wouldn't be talking about them as much, might not even wonder if they were expediting, no matter who was driving them or who they were leased to. It's also my opinion that as these age further and there are no used Penske's to replace them, the perceived problem will lessen.

If existing logistics companies and carriers are buying these, it has to make one wonder, though.

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Laredo last weekend I was parked next to a yellow ex Penske cube. Had bold decals on the box "Ground Flight LLC" and small decals on the door. Was being driven by a team. Actually they were good people just doing their expediting thing. Didn't ask if it was a company owned truck!

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
I do believe most of the old yellows are company owned but website seems geared towards owner operators of cv, sprinters and straights. Maybe they want to get away from the company owned penskes which is fine but treating your driver's like dirt will not help! And if your drivers are sitting two weeks right now and suddenly per diem is cut I smell financial and load finding issues....one driver sat that long finally was dispatched, put his money in the tank took off for thirty miles and was then told it was cancelled bc gf "didn't like the company owner"....then why did you bid? Is his money not green? Or did you get under bid and refuse to be truthful?

)0( Nasmaste )0(

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Couldn't you have...well, you know.... tapped her on the shoulder and told her that? Being right there in the truck with her and all? :D

On topic.... Hey, maybe this is going to be a double whammy week! TK and GF the same week .... wouldn't that be awesome! :thumbup:

Rocketman he wouldn't bc he knows better! :p

)0( Nasmaste )0(

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There are a lot of carriers having load finding problems right now. Things are pretty bad out there. So, what company did they refuse to run a load for? I'd be really interested to know that one. It looks like the carrier drama is going to make for a good end to 2013. As far as changing contracts. Maybe they finally realized that if you give the drivers all kinds of bonuses and big rates per mile, there won't be enough profit left over to cover the office end of things.