Ground flight : modern day crooks?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know personally a few of there drivers and have for twenty plus years now so I trust there words, I know this career is not for the faint of heart and more so you van/sprinter guys, I'm Lucky that I work for someone who I respect and who respects his drivers and from what I have seen that's a rare find in expediting, I told my friends to get everything in writing and I wish I had the authority to display said items but I don't and I can't, I'm not just blaming the company its as much the drivers fault as it us the companies.
A lot of guys see this job and think its like driving a big rig when in reality its a whole different animal, lots of sitting, days without showers, learning to minimize your spending while maximizing your available resources, since our first load we have been amongst a choice few who can say that were completely satisfied with our carrier and I guess it baffles my mind that there are too many owners out there who only care about the almighty dollar and could care less for the ones making that dollar for them...IMHO

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Thank you....:)...yes there some good friends and contacts here in EO....some call it a "clique" I prefer to use support group....From Moot to Turtle...the Enemy to Danwolf...to BillG to Ntime...EB to Xiggi even TJ to Guido and the Chef.....we've all met and all have something in common...we are not always warm to each other either, but we are honest in our opinions of what the other is doing or not doing...we get angry for awhile but always seem to gravitate back to the group. Why...don't know its craziest thing....maybe we respect the honesty. the bluntness ...it has made us stronger in the end....we've endured years of cargo vanning to make a living.
There are some really great guys/gals here....Take what you need and leave a little something behind for others to follow....

I personally wish you and yours all the success you can achieve...Ken aka OVM

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll take paragraphs for a hundred Alex.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I've read all the responses to this thread and thought I'd add my two cents. It's really easy for someone that has no dealings with Ground Flight to get on a forum like this and make extraordinary claims and, from what I've read, few have actual facts to back up those claims and more post responses without any more facts than the thread starter. I understand your compassion for the GF drivers being frustrated sitting for any length of time; I do the same thing. And, I'm not the only one that gets frustrated with it. I'm the third shift dispatcher here at Ground Flight and nothing pains me more than to come to work, look at the fleet and realize a driver is still stuck in the same place after sitting there for several days. We have a fine staff of company drivers and O/O's that depend on a phone call from us to make or break their day; or night in my case. The bottom line is this. The Ground Flight dispatch office is manned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. With that kind of commitment to keeping the drivers rolling comes overhead in the cost of a brick and morter building that houses a full time dispatch team, utility bills, compliance costs, taxes that have to be paid and a host of other bills that come in the mail and have to be paid daily. Ground Flight is NOT a fly by night company hosting a company name by someone with a group of friends to seem logit and sit in the truck stops bidding freight on laptops at an unrealistic low rate as is being done now.
Freight is very slow for this time of year; although it seems to be picking up somewhat over the last few weeks. Every one of the drivers on this forum shouldn't even have time to post threads here this time of year. They should be bouncing in the seat and making money. It's just not happening so far in the first half of this year when many predicted expedited freight would be better this year than last. Having said that, where would those that slam this company suggest we send drivers that get laid over in Laredo? San Antonio? They'd be better off sitting in North Dakota somewhere. Houston? That's where we used to send them if Laredo was too competitive but Houston has proven to be worse than Laredo lately. At the end of the day, somebody has to make the decision as to what is best for the company drivers to get them moving and making money.
One of the responders to the original thread said it best when stating "This isn't a business you can come into broke." Unfortunately, with the economy in the state it's in Ground Flight get's alot of applications from prospective drivers that are down on their luck and needing employment. Each applicant is explained this line of work. There are some high demands placed on expeditors in the long hours of driving and the unfortunate long hours of waiting. Many new drivers here find out in a very short amount of time this isn't the line of work for them and bring the truck back to us. We have other company drivers that have excelled in the demands of the job and have been with us for quite some time. They have figured out the financial part of the occupation and budget their money accordingly to account for layovers. I can promise everyone reading every part of this thread the owners of this company do not just throw a stuck driver to the wolves. Every effort is made to keep them rolling and earning a living as we depend on them for the company to earn a profit to keep this company going and growing. Management here bends over backwards financially to help them get started but for some it just doesn't work out.
Before I get slammed by the masses for speaking the dispatcher side of things, allow me to set the story straight. I was a driver for Ground Flight before I sat behind this desk. One of the owners, another dispatcher as well as our Operations Manager were also drivers before sitting at their desks. I drove for more than 10 years over the road as well as driving for this company and I can attest to the level of commitment management has for the drivers here. We all do our best but in the overly competitive world of expedited freight, sometimes loads just can't be awarded; especially in a place like Laredo where you can drive by the flying fishhook on your way in to a delivery and the place looks like a white van campground in the front parking lot. I spent the entire week of Thanksgiving year before last hoping for the best and preparing for the worst at that J. But, I knew when I signed on with this deal, nothing is guaranteed. It's an overly competitive business where somebody needs something yesterday but they didn't order it till tomorrow. That's where we, as a community of expeditors, come in to help them save the day. But, there are only so many loads and too many trucks wanting them. Slamming a respected company amongst our clients and peers on this forum does nothing to make those drivers stuck there bounce in their seats to make a living.

Much like most companies there are pitfalls, need I put this in a better term " I have never talked with a GF driver that was pleased now or un the past with the company " there are many levels of pleased in expediting and trust me I know each of those levels, maybe if I could speak with a happy driver ( currently ) my personal opinion could be swayed but as it stands I still believe what I do, but as long as those in charge are happy with things than an unhappy driver needs to find happiness elsewhere! IMHO of course

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This does make for good reading on a rainy day in Pa........wait I m sitting in sunny Detroit area Walmart. .......:D

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

ScottInBama

Expert Expediter
Driver
Current Ground Flight driver qualified to answer the question "Ground Flight, Modern Day Crooks "? The answer is a resounding no. Happily employed here for over 13 months. Honest hard working good folks. They do what they say and you never ever worry about your money. I intend on working with these guys for years to come. This is my personal experience as an employee.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Interesting that those coming to the rescue of Ground Flight with ringing endorsements are those with single digit posting histories, some of whom weren't even in the business 7 months ago) and a guy from, well, you know, Alabaaamaaaa.

(Sorry Scott. Cheap joke, but I crack myself up. :D )

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I was also a driver for GF for 3 months. I did three loads for them. One paid 95 cents per mile, and the other two paid a dollar a mile. I was paid on time with no hassles, and I was always treated in a courteous and professional manner. I have dealt with both Paul Moyer and David Brown. They always treated me right.

I actually did a load for them that was delayed 5 hours at the shipper and I still beat the original protect time. They were pretty happy with my service! Also, I have a little bit more than single digits in the number of posts that I've made on this forum. I just don't get how drivers who are uninformed, come into this business under-prepared and under-financed, then have some problems and blame the company for their failure to plan.

I never blame the companies I work for when freight is slow, or when I sit for a week at a time. I was once leased on with 4 companies and sat for over a week in Ohio of all places. I didn't blame the companies that were calling me with loads to bid on. It was just a stroke of bad luck. If you can't feed yourself for two weeks without getting a load, you need to look into working at Wal-Mart. That is the simple truth of the matter. Don't come on here and bash the company you work for because you can't feed yourself!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So far we have heard pro and cons from people who worked there. Sounds like a normal expedite company to me.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I seen 2 of their yellow cubes parked outside a Holiday Inn last night........:D

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Their rates are in the ballpark at least

They would lose a lot of bids when I was with them because they refused to cut their rates. Imagine that; a small multi-carrier model company with ethics. I would probably go back to work for them again if I could. I don't think they'd take me though because right after I signed back up with them the second time I fell of my truck and had to get out of the business for a while. No one believed me when I got hurt. The company I moved the load for didn't believe me when they called with another load to El Paso right after I delivered the first one in Bloomington CA and fell down. I guess I looked like a flake for signing back on with three companies and then getting hurt and quitting a few weeks afterwards.

GF is a solid company to work for. So, Xiggy is right about the fact that they have no more or less positive and negative posts than any other solid expedited carrier out there. You can't make everyone happy. I used to pay some of my drivers the same day they delivered the load and they would still find something to complain about. Look at all that John has done for you the Load 1 guys with the drivers facilities, and there is still someone complaining because the 50 inch television screen isn't 52 inches! lol. That is how it is with companies and drivers. We're all a rough bunch of people!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They would lose a lot of bids when I was with them because they refused to cut their rates. Imagine that; a small multi-carrier model company with ethics. I would probably go back to work for them again if I could. I don't think they'd take me though because right after I signed back up with them the second time I fell of my truck and had to get out of the business for a while. No one believed me when I got hurt. The company I moved the load for didn't believe me when they called with another load to El Paso right after I delivered the first one in Bloomington CA and fell down. I guess I looked like a flake for signing back on with three companies and then getting hurt and quitting a few weeks afterwards.

GF is a solid company to work for. So, Xiggy is right about the fact that they have no more or less positive and negative posts than any other solid expedited carrier out there. You can't make everyone happy. I used to pay some of my drivers the same day they delivered the load and they would still find something to complain about. Look at all that John has done for you the Load 1 guys with the drivers facilities, and there is still someone complaining because the 50 inch television screen isn't 52 inches! lol. That is how it is with companies and drivers. We're all a rough bunch of people!

Two inches is a lot you know.:cool: