Greatest Rock Song of all time?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
One vote and why?

Mine is Hollies (Long cool women) This song starts off with just one guitar, than adds two than when the drum starts in WOW nothing sounds as good as this and just the thought of how beautiful that Woman must be...... Has it all. Plus its just a classic nothing this generation can ever hold a candle to.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just one? Really? Is that possible?

I've been thinking about this since I saw the thread yesterday. That Hollies tune is a good one, More Than a Feeling is a good one, it took Boston from unheard of to major stars in the blink of an eye. A lot of Hendrix stuff. The Star Spangled Banner certainly created controversy.

There's so much, but for now I'm going to go with Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith. But, I'm sure I'll hear songs in the next few days that will make me want to change that.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Old time rock & roll...."Bob" Seger

Just take those old records off the shelf
Ill sit and listen to em by myself
Todays music aln t got the same soul
I like that old time rock n roll
Dont try to take me to a disco
Youll never even get me out on the
In ten minutes Ill be late for the door
I like that old time rockn roll

Still like that old time rockn roll
That kind of music just soothes the soul
I reminisce about the days of old
With that old time rock n roll
Wont go to hear them play a tango
Id rather hear some blues or funky old soul
Theres only sure way to get me to go
Start playing old time rock n roll
Call me a relic, call me what you will
Say Im old-fashioned, say Im over the hill
Today music aint got the same soul
I like that old time rock n roll

Still like that old time rockn roll
That kind of music just soothes the soul
I reminisce about the days of old
With that old time rock n roll

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with Highwaystar, coming up with just one is tough.

Aerosmith, Boston, Bob Segar, Hendrix... all good examples especailly Aerosmith. They have more great songs than almost anyone I think and their longevity is pretty much unrivaled.

But to pick just one. I say think Led Zeppelin and just pick one. The one Cadillac uses in their ads is hard to beat.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like:
God Smack - Voodoo
Metallica - Enter Sand Man
Gorden Lightfoot - Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald

Bob likes:
Gun and Roses - November Rain

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Bob Seger - old time rock and roll....yawn....sorry long day....

If you mention Seger, you need to think of his real classics - Persecution Smith, Heavy Music and Sock It To Me, Santa to name my favorites.

Also his studio versions of Get Out Of Denver, Katmandu, Nutbush City Limits, Turn the Page (all on the live bullet album which is actually horrible live unless you were there). Oh and his version of Bo Didley. The studio versions were not on the play list much when they came out and today's classic rock rotation (puke...) don't play any of them, they don't even play real classics.

Zepplin... the song remains the same.

back to Hendrix......

Jayman

Expert Expediter
mrgoodtude, good choice. That was one of the first to come into my mind. But, there are so many I like.

Hmmm...I will have to vote for AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good one of AC/DC but I think my favorite of theirs is Hells Bells and Bob likes Thunder Struck.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I know I can't really choose either...
Rare earth-Get Ready
Isley Brothers- its your thang
Frampton -Show me the way
Ac Dc Back in black
Aerosmith any
Def Lep
Chicago
Journey
Reo
Elton John
Super tramp
Heart
Rush
Dio
Metallica
Queensryche
TESLA
Skid row
LIT
David Sanborn (Jazz yeah I know its a rock theme but this guy rocks)
What about favorite country??
Waylon
Rascall and Urban
Hell with this post gonna listen to XM:+

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
>Jimi Hendrix's version of the Star Spangled Banner
>
>Just because.

I second that vote! :)

"flyin" under the radar is more fun, and pays better.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Back in the day, A buddy of mine and I went to a college bar in Oxford Ohio. They checked the heck out of his ID (he was twenty three) and did not even glance at mine (I was 17). Anyway while the band played it was rocking and a rolling something fierce, The band played some stuff that was on the radio, and some of thier own stuff. One that was just fantastic was "Get ready". About a month later it was on the radio. Could not tell what was cooler not getting ID'd the band or those crazy college girls.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't think I could pick just one either, but it would be one of these: Bob Seger, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Van Morrison, or Dire Straits. Or maybe Meat Loaf's "Paradise by the dashboard light"!;)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Now if this is the GREATEST rock song of all time, and not FAVORITE, then that's totally different criteria. To me, favorite is just that I like the way it sounds, can play it over and over, etc. Greatest in my book is the song that defines Rock. I looked it up on some sites just to see what they put, and some of the younger generation's idea for the greatest rock song just kill me. Some of the bands I've never heard of, as they were ska and punk. Smells like teen spirit may have defined alternative like Skynard defined southern rock, but which song scream PURE ROCK?

Gotta go with Stairway to Heaven. After Zep and that song, everyone who picked up a guitar wanted to be them. And it shows in most rock since then.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Awright Cheri,a Stevie ray fan.He was AWESOME!!

I got the chance to see him live in concert in cleveland shortly before his unfortunate helicopter accident,definately was one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I saw him live three times, and he was awesome every one of them - even though he didn't do "Tin Pan Alley" ...BTW, Moot's a SRV fan, too, and we both like a duet between SRV & BB King, called "Matchbox", which is a paradoxically humerous blues song - with absolutely GREAT guitar riffs!
Now that I think of it, though, an awful lot of blues songs are humerous..at least the ones the men sing...hmm....

are12

Expert Expediter
I have been thinking about this for a few days now and I have still not come up with my answer. I love my classic rock and listen to it every night. There are just so many great bands and songs, how can you pick just one??

I am sooo confused....I need more time to think this through! :p :p