Good versus bad

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
Well i don't have a personal experience in this issue. Since i have never been a driver for a owner or a owner for a driver. But from talking to people on the road. ( I try to talk to who ever will talk to me, and help them out any way i can. If they don't already know everything in the world.) I have heard stories from many drivers about owners. Some love the owner and others say he or she is the worst owner ever. And they are talking about the same owner. Everyone should know its just like a regular job. Some are gonna love it and some are gonna hate it. Just the fit for the induvidual. I know there is good and bad out there. Owners and drivers!! But that is going to depend on who you talk to. And if your a owner and keep getting bad drivers and your a driver and keep getting bad drivers maybe its not the other party. Maybe its you!!:eek: Just my too cents!:D

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
This is a very sore subject with me..All the soap boxers on here keep saying get a contract... The contract is the only thing that will save you from a bad owner... You and I both know its a crock of bull crap.. Because all the owners i know have a contract to befit them not the driver because really we are nothing more than butts in the seat to them... Some of you think that the contract is worth its weight in gold when really its not even worth the paper its written on... Because here is the reason why kids its all civil there is nothing criminal about it.. Sure its morally wrong but no real laws are being broke or atleast thats what my lawyer told me when i went to sue a bad own for not paying me
I have not seen where anyone has said that a contract is the only thing that will save a driver from a bad owner. It is the starting point in understanding your obligations. So are you saying that on your lawyer's advice you no longer operate with a contract? Would your lawyer say this is the advice they advocate?

eb

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well a contract is very important regardless what one person says.

Of course the contract is for the owner's benefit, if it wasn't the owner has no business being in business.

The key is that it should be reviewed and questioned, the important and not so important points for both parties should be discussed and clarified. The contract is one half a document to protect each party and one half a document to say what is expected out of each other.

Look at how many times people come here crying that they got cheated or that they thought they would get X and instead got X minus a bunch of stuff.

I don't like to promote this business when it comes to owners and drivers, I feel everyone in this business should have their own van/truck because of a number of reasons that I won't get into but that's me.

I seen enough BS and know there are some pretty d*mn desperate people out there who think that this is an easy thing to get into and make a buck while other people are just plain lazy and want to do the least amount of work for the money. On the other hand I have seen some pretty bad owners, many of them pray on these people and they will shy away from a potential driver who say "I want to review the contract before I sign it, send it over" which weeds out a lot of owners right away which does actually serve a great purpose.

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
Ok you make some good points... But here is how breaks down in real life... You can come to whatever agreement contract whatever you want to call it... And you think you have all your I's dotted and T's crossed... And you go to work for said owner.. And if they do not want to pay you.. fix there trucks.. leave in the middle of no where to find your way home or where ever you want to go.. there is hardly anything you can do to them. legally.. So all i'm saying is this contract gives off false hope that there something you can really do to them.. legally.. Other than going to small claims and spending your time effort.. And the only time in this whole process it becomes criminal is when someone doesn't show and then they have you for not showing and a bench warrent can be put on them.. Up until then its all civil.. Just an agreement between two people

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
See here is the thing the guy that i work for now is just a man of his word.. And i am a man of my word.. He does what he says he going to do and do the things he ask me to do... Pretty simple when you think about it.. But so many of these owners and drivers are no longer men or women of there words... They have things like contracts that make people feel more safe or makes them feel like people are going to do what they say there going to do.. When really for some its just a way to rob and cheat some people out of there money.. Do all do this i'm sure not but i have seen alot on here that say they do

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As a Fleet Owner I can say I have seen almost everything you can think of a driver doing. We like to keep our drivers happy for the most part because a truck sitting cost you money. We ask them to sign a contract so they know where we stand and ask of them. I have held a drivers last settlement for the damages that have been done to the truck and sleeper. Do I like doing it? No it's just business. The cost and down time for the repairs is always more than what is held out of a drivers settlement. I would rather the driver just do the right thing and just take care of the truck and return it the way it was when they picked it up.

I had a driver that took a dump in the truck a rub it on the walls because my Fleet Manager let him go. A driver can go to jail for doing that we found out later. My office Manager daughter works at the heath department and was telling us that is Bio waste and the driver could have been put it jail for doing what he did. I have my share of drivers bad mouthing me over the last 17 years. You have to remember there is two sides to every story.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
The responses were spot on. I'm wondering what golf our nut, boy that sure sounds painful, was talking about with "diverting blame" and something being "legit"?

The 1st two responses went directly to bad drivers, NOT bad owners as was the original posts. The "dead on" ones came after my post. Highway Star, hmmm, self proclaimed I presume! Can you find a hat big enough?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ok you make some good points... But here is how breaks down in real life...

Really OK ...

You can come to whatever agreement contract whatever you want to call it... And you think you have all your I's dotted and T's crossed... And you go to work for said owner.. And if they do not want to pay you.. fix there trucks.. leave in the middle of no where to find your way home or where ever you want to go.. there is hardly anything you can do to them. legally..

Actually there is a lot you can do, the problem becomes if you can afford to do anything at all. Many will get a lawyer at that point and that point is a bit too late to have that legal advice behind you. One thing that gets laughed at is what I tell anyone getting into this business - get a lawyer before you need on.

So all i'm saying is this contract gives off false hope that there something you can really do to them.. legally.. Other than going to small claims and spending your time effort..

Actually not really true, false hope for what?

The contract as I keep saying helps with two things, protects both parties and helps define responsibilities.

My contract in the past did exactly that, which I have been using with this new fleet I am managing. The contract spells out who is who, what the pay is, who does what and why, when they get paid and what happens if something goes wrong. There is an arbitration clause in it and a legal venue defined.

WITH that there is a 'cheat sheet' of sorts that has questions and answers for the driver (and their lawyer) to use PLUS with every driver I go through ever line of the contract with them. I have traveled 300 miles last month to meet with one couple and their lawyer for this, it was important for all of us to be together to build the trust needed to let them drive a $190k heavy haul tractor.

And the only time in this whole process it becomes criminal is when someone doesn't show and then they have you for not showing and a bench warrent can be put on them.. Up until then its all civil.. Just an agreement between two people

I understand, I can't see any warrant being issued for anything outside of pure neglect.

See here is the thing the guy that i work for now is just a man of his word.. And i am a man of my word.. He does what he says he going to do and do the things he ask me to do... Pretty simple when you think about it.. But so many of these owners and drivers are no longer men or women of there words...

That is the entire point, the problem is first this business is an easy one to get into, the vendors who supply the trucks push it as one that you too can own a fleet yada yada yada so many of them become fleet owners. The carriers are also at fault too because they are not liable for what an owner does but then you got the drivers themselves who some are so desperate they start to believe it is an easy buck and the BS of being on the road.

They have things like contracts that make people feel more safe or makes them feel like people are going to do what they say there going to do.. When really for some its just a way to rob and cheat some people out of there money.. Do all do this i'm sure not but i have seen alot on here that say they do

But again many set themselves up to be cheated by being desperate. This is a business, too many people take it too personal, from complaining about the company to having people tell them to their face they made mistakes. The one thing I learned, being broke and almost losing my home is I was not going to drive for anyone because I didn't want to risk losing more money. I survived and did very well but others who listen to those who keep saying "drive for someone else" don't add - this is not a business for everyone.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I worked for what I would consider a bad owner but I was protected by the contract I signed. Ya, he dragged his feet and tried to avoid his responsibilities but in the end he signed the contract so he had to comply. The best advice is always the same every time. Get a contract, read it and do what you agree to do. If the owner tries to stiff you, hold his feet to the fire. Don't lay down and let him get away with it. Ya ...., I know it's really not that simple. Life is a lot more complicated than that but that's the quick answer. Sometimes you can do everything right and everything goes wrong anyway. That's happened to me more than once too. I'm with Highway Star on this one, " The responses were spot on", even if he does have a big head. Hey Star , I don't think I've ever seen you wear a hat.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I am a bit of a fathead. It's hard to find a baseball style hat that fits right. One of the best hats I've had is the EO hat I bought the year you and I went to the Expo. I'd really like to have another one of those. Lawrence has mentioned an online store...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Too many trying to complicate the simple when it isn't necessary.

Boils down to two things. Fleet owner reputation and proven verifiable results. Yes, that means talking to current and past drivers for information and what they experienced.
A contract is necessary, but other factors weigh as much or more for a true successful partnership to exist.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Too many trying to complicate the simple when it isn't necessary.

Boils down to two things. Fleet owner reputation and proven verifiable results. Yes, that means talking to current and past drivers for information and what they experienced.
A contract is necessary, but other factors weigh as much or more for a true successful partnership to exist.

I agree 100% Dave. I give out my drivers numbers if they want to talk to a few of them and as long as it's okay with the drivers.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The 1st two responses went directly to bad drivers, NOT bad owners as was the original posts.
Not true. The first response was mine, and you apparently assumed that I was directing that towards bad drivers. The original poster asked two very direct questions, and made one statement. I answered both questions as well as addressed the statement. My answer went directly to bad owners and why a Web site for both bad owners and bad drivers is unrealistic. I also touched on how people come on here and complain, and that statement also goes directly to both owners and drivers, as both come on here and whine about one thing or another.

The second post, while it strayed somewhat, taken in total also answered the original poster's question of "How come?"