General Economic Conditions

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hey! We drive one of those "apartments" on wheels. :D Do we own it? Nope. We drive for the owner. Do we operate it like we own it? Yep.
We track everything, and we are frugal. The reason? We want to stay in this apartment on wheels. Our owner makes the payments, we make the money so he can. ;)

Great thread guys!!

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
There must be a "Phil Posted" light positioned in select members homes
police16.gif

----> Then the pizzin' match begins <----

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Haha, rarely does a post cause me to laugh out loud... but that was one of them.

I carry a BlackBerry for this purpose. Phil posts... BlackBerry beeps. :D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I laughed out loud too!

They do seem to give me an inordinate amount of their time and attention, don't they? And for what, to save newbies from Phil? It would be a shame if they bought into the same views and expectations, and made the same committments Diane and I did when we jumped into expediting. Heaven forbid that people might actually have fun and make money in this business. Worse still that they might do it in a custom truck. It just ain't right!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There are plenty of people with nice custom trucks and enjoy the business. I can't imagine why you would think your the only one?
The difference is they are not putting out controversial or inaccurate posts out. You'll also notice they don't have those same responses that some of yours generate.
You have had this issue since you have been here at EO, and at numerous other sites with other members.
Consider the issues might be something in your message or how it is delivered.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I guess the jokes on me.

Ha ha.

I said it once and will say it again, when I see something wrong, or don't agree with it, I say something. I really, honestly don't give a sh*t what some think, my intention is to make sure others don't make mistakes like I and others did in businesses in the past and try to make sure that people don't fall for the BS that some peddle.

My advice has been very consistent and very clear; This is a business, it is not a hobby, a paid tourist gig or a romp in the park with Jane. I also said don't listen to the BS when you are planning a business, any business. Business is serious, a failed business can cause someone to lose their home, property and other assets and mess you up for the rest of your life. It is really easy for someone to say "I did it this way, you could too" because they have absolutely no risk involved in the failure of the person receiving the advice. It also floors me to hear all these people who advise putting money into a tool that cost in many cases many times the price of their home.

So I will repeat it again here, get professional help before you do anything else - not a tax preparer or a pseudo financial wizard but an accountant who has been through school and knows what the terms means and can setup the structure of your business to fit your needs. And get a lawyer so when you have to deal with contracts, accidents and company issues and more importantly you have someone on your side who knows you.

You know the reason I say all of this a lot is too damn simple - when you need them, it means that it is too damn late to save your business or your personal assets.

So I say right from the start to find and build the relationship with the professionals first. I learned this the hard way and hope others don't. If that helps one person, then I am successful.

What really floors me is the pathetic statement about having fun. Who said that serious business is fun, my God, when you have to worry about a truck payment, truck repairs and other things, where is the fun in that. It is far more important to plan things, to get the right advice and to move into a situation that you can have an exit out of and then have fun right from the start. With the right advice, the right path and the right attitude, you will have plenty of fun later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
And for what, to save newbies from Phil? It would be a shame if they bought into the same views and expectations, and made the same committments Diane and I did when we jumped into expediting.

Actually, it *would* be a shame if that happened.

Why?

Because not everyone's circumstances are the same. What may be working for you may not necessarily work for others.

Heaven forbid that people might actually have fun and make money in this business.

Initially for newbies the focus should be squarely on learning the business inside/out and generating revenue.

Generally when folks are starting in on a new business venture they eat, sleep and breathe that new business... in other words it occupies their thoughts and time pretty much 24 hours/day... and it should at least initially.

Naturally everyone needs time to decompress; however, there should not be too much focus on the fun part at the outset until that business gets on firm operating ground.

Worse still that they might do it in a custom truck. It just ain't right!

It is one thing if the custom truck is belonged to a fleet owner, quite another if the newbies have purchased the custom truck.

Again, the focus needs to be on the business & finances... not on the equipment and having fun.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There are plenty of people with nice custom trucks and enjoy the business. I can't imagine why you would think your the only one?
The difference is they are not putting out controversial or inaccurate posts out. You'll also notice they don't have those same responses that some of yours generate.
You have had this issue since you have been here at EO, and at numerous other sites with other members.
Consider the issues might be something in your message or how it is delivered.

Controversial, perhaps. Inaccurate, never. I can subsantiate every word I write, including every word I have written about ROI. But trying to do so is fruitless with some readers who frame their responses long before they attempt to understand what I am saying in the first place.

Please...let's not go into this. It is not worth the trouble. But as I read responses about ROI, it seems we are saying mostly the same thing but coming at it in different ways.

Is is important to be profitable as an expediter? Of course it is. Even for those who are in it for the camping trip, if they are not also in it for the money, they will not be in it for long.

The problem is ROI is an abstract concept. There are precise differences between return on investoment, return on equity, return on capital, etc. The forum differs from a classroom where a professor can moderate and guide student discussions about such concepts. Online, people tend to write casually, not critcially, and to talk past each other instead with each other. That's OK. Such is the way of the internet. But in the case of this ROI discussion, train wreck is an apt metaphore.

I don't believe ROI is worth spending a lot of time on. In in our one-truck expediting business, I give ROI essentially zero thought. That is not to say I do not believe in profits. Indeed i do. And I manifest that belief in my day-to-day actions as an expediter.

Now, there are others who disagree, strongly in some cases. If they really believed ROI is something readers should know more about and understand, the thing to do would be to start a new thread about the topic and explain ROI as they wish it explained ... and not in abstract terms.

Make it real. Put it in concrete terms that are easy for most people to grasp. Provide an example; something like a hypothetical team that buys a $150,000 truck. Given your understanding of ROI, what exactly is it this team should know? Provide an ROI figure that you believe is acceptable and then provide the numbers that show what these peple need to do to achieve your stated ROI goal.

In other words, for a team about to buy a $150,000 truck, what common expenses must they know about and what kind of revenue must they generate, over what period of time, to achieve the ROI you say is so important?

Or, if you wish, go at it another way. Say a team has produced gross revenue of $200,000 a year in a fleet owner's truck and say they are now about to buy a truck of their own. Including your notion of ROI in the mix, how should they calculate the dollar amount of truck they can afford?

These are not questions for me to answer because I continue to maintain ROI is not a significant indicator in a one-truck expedite business. But for people arguing that ROI is of vital importance, readers would benefit if you explained it in real-world terms, would they not?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Again, the focus needs to be on the business & finances... not on the equipment and having fun.

You are correct. It's just that for Diane and me, we find little difference between the work and the fun. Sure, there are some tasks that become a chore once in a while, but overall, expediting does not feel like work to us. I sometimes forget that some people don't enjoy the work like we do.

The work, the fun, it is pretty much the same for us. We enjoy solving a problem with a shipper at a loading dock as much as we enjoy a day at the beach. We live and breathe the work as much today as we did when we first started out. If expediting was not a job worth living, we wouild find one that was.

It is because we live and breath our work as expediter business people that our finances are in good shape and we can afford to own the truck we want.

Last edited:

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Controversial, perhaps. Inaccurate, never. I can subsantiate every word I write, including every word I have written about ROI.

With respect to newbies how would you substantiate this below considering not everyone jumps in from the same position? The statement below is rather broad in scope and subject to individual interpretation.

It would be a shame if they bought into the same views and expectations, and made the same committments Diane and I did when we jumped into expediting.

With respect to in depth discussions about ROI, ROC and ROA and other accounting issues as related to the trucking industry I will leave that to the folks best qualified to comment... professional accountants with recognized designations with significant experience. Newbies would be well advised to seek out services of a qualified accountant who can advise them on the specifics of their own peculiar situations.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With respect to newbies how would you substantiate this below considering not everyone jumps in from the same position?

When the statement remains in its original context of the post that contained it, it is a cynical comment intended to mock those who mock me. It was a statement that would have been better not to make. But I did. (Phil falls to the ground as he attempts to kick himself with both feet.) :mad:

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sometimes I agree with Phil other times I find him self serving.
But who doesnt fall somewhere between those points.
What i find more annoying is a "moderator" who has a personal vendetta of
some sort, butting into very blog written by Phil.
I find this attitude to be annoying and distracting to the concept and principles
held so dear by the site owners.
People get banned for belittling. People must follow the elders rules or be banished.
So okay, we aint got freedom of speech in order to keep integrity and balance in the eyes of
the site owner.
Mods should set the example not be allowed to abuse it without recourse.
Time to grow up.
I like my EO lukewarm as intended.

Reactions: 1 person

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Phil's a smart guy. He can take care of himself. He knows the kinds of responses, and from whom, he is likely to get with his posts. It's not hard to conclude that's the very reason he posts some of them, and in the manner in which he crafts his words. If that's not the case, I'm giving him far too much credit, in several areas.

Speaking of blogs, is that what we're calling anything and everything that is posted to the Net? Is that how it works now? Web forums posts included? Blog. Got it. Not a daily chronicle logged onto the Web. Not a Web Log. Got it. Man, I gotta keep up with the jargon. I remember when a MILF used to mean something far different than merely a chick over 30, too.:eek:

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
When the statement remains in its original context of the post that contained it, it is a cynical comment intended to mock those who mock me. It was a statement that would have been better not to make. But I did. (Phil falls to the ground as he attempts to kick himself with both feet.) :mad:

The interpretation of posts is often difficult to read in the absence of facial expression and body language. The fundamental problem is that there is no rigid generally accepted interpretation of posts and as many ways to interpret those posts as there are folks reading them.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Blog, journal, or whatever floats your boat is okay with me. its all media when made public and what it is called is for some-one much younger than me to decided.
i've been around long enough to have some liberty in expression, even if it is off line a little at times. I try for accuracy, but hey, I'm old and aint gonna change, so forgive my errors.
As far as Phil being able to fend for himself, I have no doubt of that.
No attempted on my part to even approach doing that. As I have neither met Phil or Dave, my comments are my own perception.
I am only commenting on what I read, see and experience here on the EO.
I dont think I am misinterpreting the "competition" between the two. If it is all schemed dialog to stimulate a response, well hey, its working here right now.
I just believe the Mods should be more accountable.
I also dont personally believe they need to think they need to set everyone right if someone says something they disagree with, but hey thats just my opinion.
Censorship runs rampant here and ya gotta live with it if you wanna stay. You know its the
"its my ball we play by my rules" scenario.
Not the first time i've encountered it nor will it be the last.
We just weigh wether or not it is worth staying here.
The site posts its laws, we abide or get banned, I guess I assumed the rules were for everyone here.
Just an opinion, no facts to back me up.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I am only commenting on what I read, see and experience here on the EO.
I dont think I am misinterpreting the "competition" between the two. If it is all schemed dialog to stimulate a response, well hey, its working here right now.
I just believe the Mods should be more accountable.
I also dont personally believe they need to think they need to set everyone right if someone says something they disagree with, but hey thats just my opinion.
Censorship runs rampant here and ya gotta live with it if you wanna stay. You know its the
"its my ball we play by my rules" scenario.
Not the first time i've encountered it nor will it be the last.
We just weigh wether or not it is worth staying here.
The site posts its laws, we abide or get banned, I guess I assumed the rules were for everyone here.
Just an opinion, no facts to back me up.

And that is why some folks end up with crappy ratings and choose to blame the "messenger" instead of reflecting on their own conduct in an objective way.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Maybe one day I'll understand this fascination with ratings.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Maybe one day I'll understand this fascination with ratings.

Being the one who has "bucked the system" more than anyone else on this board, I can assure you that I hold no fascination for the ratings. However, sometimes the harder some of us buck, the less those who should be paying attention actually are.

The rating system is a very simple way to get your point across that "all is NOT as peachy" in EO land as some would have us believe.

To quote part of a recent post:
"I rarely post on here, but I do read up on what is going on. I have also noticed that some of the moderators appear to be biased and "stuck on themselves." Just my humble opinion."

I cannot count the times while on the road we have met folks with this same opinion and the comment, "I read there but can't stand the way some of the people treat others". If you're reading ALL of the posts, you will see these comments made on occasion but there doesn't seem to be any concern about it.......or maybe it's just the attitude that "we are so right, we're always right, and anyone that disagrees with us or the WAY WE TREAT PEOPLE HERE is outcast".

So.....some of us will go on bucking, hoping for a better outcome and when not seeing it, we'll use the rating system....it sure seems to stick in SOME people's craw!!:p

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So, you have no fascination with the ratings, yet you do, in fact, make it a point to use the ratings to "buck the system" (be contrary) and show that all is not peachy here in EO Land (to point out the negative). I can therefore come to the quite logical conclusion that while you are not fascinated by the ratings, you are, however, preoccupied, or at least predisposed, to the dissemination of negative ratings more so than positive, or even neutral ratings. Now that, I find fascinating. Truly.

Other than when personalities themselves become the issue, I still prefer to reply to what was posted, rather than to who it was that posted it. I guess some would find that non-fascinating.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Negative more than positive?? You wouldn't know as those that I rate with anything positive don't make a habit of whining about it publicly.