Garmin Dezl 760

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, it did reset when I moved. I still want to know two things, one, how did I manage to get in onto the demo mode, and two, why can I not get off the demo mode without moving?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I said, I bet there's a demo file that needs removed.

Might be. Every GPS receiver, and fish finder, I used to sell had a demo on it. We used to set them up in the stores so customers could see how they looked. There was always, even on Garmins, a place in the settings to active and deactivate that feature. I can't find it on this one. Must get getting old.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's a demo file that CAN be removed, but it doesn't need to be. Requiring purchasers to remove the demo file in order for the unit to work wouldn't be very customer friendly, I would think.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK, it did reset when I moved. I still want to know two things, one, how did I manage to get in onto the demo mode,
It comes defaulted from the factory in Demo Mode. You didn't do anything to get into that mode.

..and two, why can I not get off the demo mode without moving?
Because you don't know the super sekrit method to access the Demo Mode switch. You have to put one finger in the upper right hand corner of one screen, while standing on one leg and scratching your other ankle with your free hand... for 10 seconds.

Once you have the unit working, it's not a bad idea to connect it to the computer and delete (after backing them up) the Demo and Tutorial folders on the Garmin. If you ever do a hard reset to clear the user data, the reset will reset the unit to factory defaults, including the Demo Mode. If those folders aren't there, it won't default to Demo Mode. But there are uses for the Demo Mode folder other than for the Demo Mode, so you might want to keep it around.

Some units have a clear Demo or Simulation menu selection. With others you have to access the "hidden" menus to turn on and off Demo Mode. With some units you press and hold the upper LEFT corner of the screen while turning the unit on, with others it's another corner, and with some you press a different area of the screen depending on which screen you are on. With many Nuvis, if you are on the main screen, you can then shift the power button and hold it for up to 30 seconds and the "service mode" will come up, enabling you to do several things (including brick the unit if you play around with firmware settings without knowing what you are doing).

There are at least two different menus (information and test screens) I can get to on mine depending on which screen I long-press (8 or 10 seconds) a corner. Like, on the main screen if I press the clock in the upper right corner it'll go into the field service menu where different functions can be tested. If I press the speedometer on the trip record page it goes to a status menu where errors and connections are reported.

If you don't delete the Demo folder, you can get most Nuvis (Nuvi 2XX) to plot a route without actually being there. Those units have a clear setting in the menus for simulation mode, which can be turned on and off at will. Turn off the receiver by switching on the GPS simulation mode. Search for any map location and select "Set Loc" to set your route start point. Then back out a few pages and search for another map location (your destination location), select the destination and Go.

To obtain the GPS coordinates of any POI or Favorites, just turn on GPS simulation mode. Then go and search for your POI or Favorites. When it is displayed on the map, choose "Set Loc". This will be your new simulated location. Then back out all the way to the home page and choose "View map". Use your finger to point at your vehicle location. The coordinates will be displayed on the screen.

There are lots of things you can do with these things.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I missed the scratching the ankle part. I KNEW it was something.

I have ALWAYS liked GARMIN GPS receivers, I have NEVER liked their manuals or customer service. It seems little has changed since I sold them. Good equipment, the rest is lacking.

I don't like the thing, it will never do what I need it to do. I ONLY bought it as a back up to our laptop based systems, which have been giving us problems of late. Computers messing up, routing software causing blue screens etc. Right now ONLY Microsoft Streets and Trips will run on my computer and it has less use than fleas.

It's OK, not very versatile. Nice size screen, for a stand alone, will go good up high on the driver's side wing mirror. I prefer my 15.6" screen, but alas, not working so good.

It is not likely that I would EVER get a system to work how I want it to work. It would require effort on the part of manufacturers and that ain't going to happen. I need my own personal computer geek again to make me one. I miss my geek, we still stay in touch after all these years.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It'll take a week or two to get used to it, but once you do I think you'll find it to your liking. Mine won't do everything I want it to, either, none of them will, but once you learn it's capabilities and limitations, it becomes a very useful tool out here.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I use to want the laptop setup myself, but once I got the Garmin, it never entered my mind again. Once you learn how to use it, it's just so much handier than messing with a laptop.

The early versions of truck route gps systems were somewhat of a mess, but apparently they have all improved a lot. I would love to have one of them, but my nuvi 750 is apparently bullet proof and I don't need any more than what it does now.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use to want the laptop setup myself, but once I got the Garmin, it never entered my mind again. Once you learn how to use it, it's just so much handier than messing with a laptop.

The early versions of truck route gps systems were somewhat of a mess, but apparently they have all improved a lot. I would love to have one of them, but my nuvi 750 is apparently bullet proof and I don't need any more than what it does now.

Time will tell. I already know it won't do everything the way we could on the laptop. Important stuff, at least to how we operate. We almost NEVER input an address and then follow the GPS suggested routing. We shall see, can't turn off the GPS receiver and look ahead on a route either. It is just another limited tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have to see if it gives me the info I need, llke all ETA's on EST/EDT ONLY. The day and time for ETA's that go into another day. Distance to finish, distance to the next turn. All on the screen at the same time. I don't believe it will do these things so I am not worried. Once I get the laptop problems fixed it will make a FINE back up system, which is the ONLY reason we bought it.

OH WAIT, there was a second reason. When we rent a car we can have a system with us. I knew there was another reason.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It'll take a week or two to get used to it, but once you do I think you'll find it to your liking. Mine won't do everything I want it to, either, none of them will, but once you learn it's capabilities and limitations, it becomes a very useful tool out here.

I have no doubt it will be a useful, albeit, limited tool. Well suited to the role we have planned for it.

Wish I could figure out the computer problems so I could run the software that fits our needs better, but alas, not been able too.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You actually can turn off the GPS receiver, at least on mine. If not easily, then certainly by one of the hidden menus. It has to be turned off in order to perform certain repair and diagnostic functions. But ON or OFF you can look ahead at the route, either on the Map Overview screen or on the line-by-line Driving Directions screen, of which each line will give you mileage and times for each turn. It will give you distance to turns and ETAs, but it certainly won't give you all them all at once on the screen at the same time. The laptop doesn't even so that.

I used to use my laptop with a USB GPS receiver as my primary GPS device. I then learned that it's much better use use a laptop as a laptop, and a GPS unit as a GSP unit. I suspect that many of the BSOD problems you are having can be directly traced to hard drive errors caused by operating the laptop while the truck is moving. I went through three hard drives before it finally sunk in. And I know better. Since I've separated the two and use each for it's designed purpose, nary a problem with the laptop.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You actually can turn off the GPS receiver, at least on mine. If not easily, then certainly by one of the hidden menus. It has to be turned off in order to perform certain repair and diagnostic functions. But ON or OFF you can look ahead at the route, either on the Map Overview screen or on the line-by-line Driving Directions screen, of which each line will give you mileage and times for each turn. It will give you distance to turns and ETAs, but it certainly won't give you all them all at once on the screen at the same time. The laptop doesn't even so that.

I used to use my laptop with a USB GPS receiver as my primary GPS device. I then learned that it's much better use use a laptop as a laptop, and a GPS unit as a GSP unit. I suspect that many of the BSOD problems you are having can be directly traced to hard drive errors caused by operating the laptop while the truck is moving. I went through three hard drives before it finally sunk in. And I know better. Since I've separated the two and use each for it's designed purpose, nary a problem with the laptop.

Delorme gives me ETA in EST/EDT only. It gives me day and time for ETA's more than 24 hours out. It tells me how far to the finish and how far to the next turn, all on the screen.

The BSOD has nothing to do with moving and everything to do with Delorme. I was running 2010 for 3 years, no problem. Then I upgraded to 2013, it won't run. I deleted everything from 2010, did a dianostic install etc. It crashes sitting still. I tried to return to 2010, no go won't run that either now.

Delorme says, too bad, we know we have problems like that, tough cookies.

I will have to see about the rest. I would have to show you how we use the laptop, I am not sure you understand what and why we do what we do. We are team and use the system differently than a solo driver could.

ANY WHO, it are what it are, it will do what we expect it to and likely know more.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Delorme gives me ETA in EST/EDT only. It gives me day and time for ETA's more than 24 hours out. It tells me how far to the finish and how far to the next turn, all on the screen.

The BSOD has nothing to do with moving and everything to do with Delorme. I was running 2010 for 3 years, no problem. Then I upgraded to 2013, it won't run. I deleted everything from 2010, did a dianostic install etc. It crashes sitting still. I tried to return to 2010, no go won't run that either now.

Delorme says, too bad, we know we have problems like that, tough cookies.

I will have to see about the rest. I would have to show you how we use the laptop, I am not sure you understand what and why we do what we do. We are team and use the system differently than a solo driver could.

ANY WHO, it are what it are, it will do what we expect it to and likely know more.
Sounds like you got it figured out. I would stick to the DeCrashme on the laptop too if I were you :thumbup:

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine does all of those things...yours will too I'm guessing.

We shall see, I have not learned it yet, but I see no on/off switch for the GPS. No switch to shut off automatic recalculate. Once I build a route I want it to stay there.

We have it, we are going to use it, hopefully it out performs our expectations.

I am trying to figure out the software I have for building a route in the computer and up loading it to the unit. As per normal, Garmin's manuals and instructions suck, but I will get it, someday.

Have to run, just got a relocation.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Settings, System, GPS Mode, that's where you turn off the GPS on mine (Normal, WAAS/EGNOS. and GPS OFF are the selections I have). I'm sure it's quite similar on yours, since most Garmins are more or less the same.

I'm quite familiar with DeLorme. I used to use it extensively.

Here's the main navigation screen on mine, which is a 7 year old c550:
garmin-streetpilot-c550-screen-protector.jpg

The arrival ETA in the lower left corner, and the distance to the next turn in the lower right. I have my system set to Eastern Time, and that's the time that is reflected in all of the times on the system.

Recalculation is not something you really want to turn off. It will recalculate the route based on traffic, road closures and other road conditions. Recalculating has saved my butt more than once due to accidents a few minutes earlier that I didn't know about. It also recalculated my route just an hour after that bridge collapsed in Minneapolis, and it took me right to the delivery which was just across the collapsed bridge.

Sometimes the recalculating can be a PITA because it'll recalculate a route that's the way wrong routing, but it's easy enough to force it take the route you want ( be warned, forcing it to take a certain routing will be done by a different method than DeLorme requires, so be prepared to get mad at it and think it's a POS because of that LOL).

Building a route in the computer and up loading it to the unit is something you will find to be largely a incredible waste of time. You can certainly do it, but you can accomplish the same task in a fraction of the time using the Garmin itself, once you learn the unit.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We shall see. I absolutely HATE recalculation, at least so far. Once I set up a route, often which I am REQUIRED to follow, I want it to STAY on that route. It bugs the snot out of me when EVERY time I pull off for fuel the stupid thing starts flashing and squawking about me not knowing where I am and telling me how to fix it.

I have not yet learned how to "build" a route, it does not come with a manual, of course, so I have to have a computer up to try to learn anything. That too is a pain in the butt. I am old I need a book to work from. Next time I am at a motel I will run the manual off onto paper so I can use it.

So far, for what little I have used it, I like it. I believe that it will serve the purpose I bought it for and MAYBE a bit more. It is going to be a fine tool in conjunction with my laptop system once I solve that problem.

The laptop problem bugs me ALMOST as much as Obama does! :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's scary

You can use the laptop for target practice with little consequence.

LOL!! I have ALWAYS wanted to commit computercide! All things considered, I HATE the dang gum things! I dream of the day when I don't need one.