Gadgets & Accessories - Outside of truck

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
These are some of the items we have on the outside of our truck.
I have included some approximate costs of what we paid and I am sure many of you have may have gotten a better price on these items. I was just talking to another driver about the heated windshield wipers which we have tried and found to be a waste of our money. The wipers are very expensive and did not hold up though a month of heavy use.

Air Tabs inexpensive item that reduce drag, and helps with fuel mileage and visibility behind the truck. We bought these about two years ago for about 2oo.oo as a truck show special

Centramatics These help with wear on the tires and also the ride by reducing vibration, we have them on all of the axles including the lift axle. Bought in stages for a total price of approximately $1000.00

Turbo 3000 D Vada may help with fuel mileage but the jury is still out on this We do feel though that the engine runs smoother. Cost 240.00

OPS1 Oil ByPass Filter reduces oil changes should save us about 1000.00 a year. Cost 900.00 with a years supply of filters and oil sample analyses.

Slush Bustersinexpensive item to keep windshield wipers free of ice. 12.oo

PrePass - E Z Pass - NorPass FedEx Custom Critical has a discount on PrePass so for us it was cheaper to have the three items then to have BestPass. We enjoy less stress by passing the weight stations with the PrePass and the NorPass. We love the EZ Pass for the discounts and also the ability to use the fast lane through the toll booths. These are monthly fees.

Lane Departure Warning Device We have found that this is an invaluable tool to monitor how we are driving and if we are getting drowsy. This is a test project for FedEx Custom Critical with an unknown cost.

Michelin X1 Super Single's Improve the fuel mileage and the ride. Used FedEx Custom Critical discount to purchase tires. Aluminum Rims approximately 900.00 for pair

Pressure Pro or Doran Air Monitoring System We added this monitoring system when we added the super single tires. We are hoping this will warn us if we drop below 12 ½ percent of air pressure loss and then an emergency warning is 25 percent loss of air pressure. We have a sensor for each wheel, an antenna and a monitor screen 600.00

Belly Boxes Bob has many of these as possible on the truck and has added invaluable storage space. Two ways to look at this helps enclose the area under the box but at the same time adds weight. Cost approximately 2000.00

Aux Fuel Tank We added an used auxiliary fuel tank for our APU fuel usage. We added this so we could keep better track of the trucks actual fuel mileage. We can also deduct the taxes on our fuel purchased as off road fuel. 30 gallon tank 375.00 with all the brackets to hang it.

Rig Master With this item we never idle our truck. Saves us fuel and wear and tear on the motor. Approximate cost 101,000 dollars with a 2005 M2 truck thrown in.

Innerlift Lift GateFully retractable lift gate 3500 lbs lifting capacity, aluminum lift gate total weight of gate 700 lbs, self leveling, flaps for freight control, flashing amber lights for traffic control, foot controls, hand controls, remote cable control, 8' X 6' extra large platform. Approximate cost 8700.00 hope to be able to move to next truck.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
RE: Gadgets & Accessories - Outside of truck

One valuable safety item not on your truck is automatic snow chains. Have you considered them? Pros / Cons? Happy holidays.

Booker

Expert Expediter

I am trying to find a source for automatic tire chains for our truck. It has Super-Single tires and so far I haven't found a company that has the setup that will work with these tires. Rudd Chain is going to look at the truck and see if they can come up with something that will work. We are just waiting for the truck to get into the area so the company representative can look at it. If anyone has ideas for the chains for Super-Singles, let me know. Thanks

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Chipped paint and flaking powder coating, does that count?

Linda, if I remember right you have a tag axle?

If that is correct, how are the super singles with the tag axle up?

I have been told by Freightliner that they haven't tested the supers on the single axle trucks but they feel there is no reason not to use them, pointing to a number of DAF and Mercedes trucks in Europe.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

When Bob and Linder have the tag axle up on their Wheel Estate, they're just another four wheeler

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

In our "wheel estate" we still stay in the truck lanes as we are usually going so slow! We still really like our SS tires, the way the truck rides, and the slight increase in fuel mileage.

We have looked at the automatic tire chains before we bought the super singles but due to the configuration of our pusher axle they would not work. We have not tried again to have the truck measured since we put on the SS tires. We where told by a representative of Insta Chain that they thought they could make them work.

Booker

Expert Expediter

I hope that Insta-Chain can get it to work ok on the Super-Singles. I talked to them and they said that with these tires, their chains would not work because the inside of the tire is too far from the u-bolts that hold the axle. They are the first company I talked to and that is why I am still looking. Keep us informed on what you fine out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

>I hope that Insta-Chain can get it to work ok on the
>Super-Singles. I talked to them and they said that with
>these tires, their chains would not work because the inside
>of the tire is too far from the u-bolts that hold the axle.
>They are the first company I talked to and that is why I am
>still looking. Keep us informed on what you fine out.

The word bracket comes to mind. I have seen them on a super singles truck in Canada, it looked like they took the base of the unit and cut it off, replacing it with a bracket that moved the unit outward to the proper position for the tires.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter

I surely love to use the truck as a "test bed" for gadgets and new products. We run under what most would consider harsh conditions so it definitely puts these products through their paces. Sometimes they fail miserably, other times they barely work and plenty of times they fail miserably at some point.

The one accessory that we consider standard equipment on all our trucks are truck bars.

There is nothing like being able to shuffle up to the bar after a long day behind the wheel, put your foot up on a rung and enjoy a tall cool one.

http://www.aliarc.com/truckbars.html

:+

This one device can pay for itself in significantly reduced and in some cases no truck damage after a close encounter with the wild beasts that roam freely in Canada... such as deer and the dreaded moose.

To avoid the other wild beasts that roam freely in Canada your best bet is to stay inside your truck with the windows rolled up and all exterior exits locked.

:+

greg334

Veteran Expediter

"To avoid the other wild beasts that roam freely in Canada your best bet is to stay inside your truck with the windows rolled up and all exterior exits locked."

It's not just Canada.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

And sneak a peek before you answer the knock on the door!

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Boy, where have I been, Bridgestone also has 'super singles'.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Although we were a little skeptical, we bought the Slush Busters for ice build up on the wiper blades, they worked much better than we ever expected. Thanks for the tip Linda!

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Oh what fun!!! You two have really done it up 'big' out there.

Any idea what kind of fuel mileage increase you gain with the Air Tabs? I've had my eye on these for a couple of years and think that they may be a nice addition. Am wanting a new coat of paint on the ole grrl and have thought I'd try 'em out after the paint dries. My 'retired' 1999 FedEx FL70 has 1,153,500 miles on her and she's getting to look a bit dull around the edges.

Centramatics- Have a set on my steers and love 'em.

Turbo 3000 D Vada-the folks there told me a couple of years ago that they don't make one for the Cummins ISC.

Slush Busters- Haven't seen these around. Where did you find them? Sure worth a try.

Speaking of FedEx test projects...we have one of those too. We've got the Eagle Eye project. Loved it when it all worked. One-by-one I started having trouble with the sensors. Called the company and they FINALLY agreed to sell me 3 new sensors @ $200/unit. Installed the new babies and within a month they all went out again. Sigh.

PrePass/NorPass is combined in their offering for Panther. Love it! EZ Pass has been a problem...got mine through West Virginia. Registered as a 3-axle unit because I couldn't figure out how it would work for me since I have a tag. As a result, I have to remove the transponder 98% of the time (or pay the higher toll even when my tag is riding high-and-dry) just so I can cruise through EZ Pass fast lanes 2% of the time when I actually do have my tag on the ground. I need to fix this issue, but Panther hasn't agreed to PrePass Plus and I'm not sure BestPass is the 'best' solution.

Belly Boxes- Anything like Load Lockers? Don't know how I'd live in our 72" Bentz sleeper without 'em. After 4 1/2 years I still don't know how to say 'JUST SAY NO' to whatever catches my eye on the way through the garage as I leave home. "I just gotta have another 2 cases of Lucus, washer fluid, ...whatever... in the side or I'm doomed to pay those Truck Stop prices on the road, etc., etc. (Come to think of it, forget the AirTabs and the D Veda, I think I've found a better way to increase fuel mileage!)

Aux fuel tank- Great idea! Do you fill 'er up at the off-road pump, or do you literally keep track and deduct the difference? (Sounds good, but I wonder how long I'd keep up with that additional book keeping chore.) I did, however, find a use for used tanks! One of GiddyUp-Go’s steel 75 gal. fuel tanks sprang an horrendous leak one afternoon in El Paso. We went to Freightliner where they drained the fuel from the leaking tank into an open storage tank they had handy and, after shutting off the bad tank, pumped it all back into the other ‘sound’ tank. They told me they could order a new steel tank for me for only $850. Well, I got to thinking about those steel tanks and how, after some inspection, I probably would need to replace both of them. Hmm. $1700 now. By the time we reached Florida we had a plan! Found two 150 gal. Western Star tanks with straps in a junk yard for $300 (they even delivered them to the local truck garage for no extra charge). After everything was moved around and refitted it cost a total $900 for my ‘new’ tanks, and I was happy as a lark. Wonder how hauling 300 gal of diesel fuel affects my mpg.

PowerTech Kubota 7kw generator Wouldn’t want to be without it!

Anthony Liftgate I’m beginning to see a pattern here.

Perhaps best of all…nestled curb-side between a Load Locker and the generator is an aluminum can crusher! Actually, I almost never use the thing, but, once in a while, somebody lets their curiosity get the best of them, and they stop to ask what that contraption is under the truck. Nice way to meet inquisitive people…and I don’t think it affects my mpg at all!

Reactions: 1 person

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Air Tabs
Don't have them but plan to add them. Not sure about fuel-milage claims but impressed that they reduce buildup of snow and dirt on the back door. After seeing them on a couple of straight trucks, I see the truck's appearance is not degraded. If a fuel benefit comes with the Air Tabs, all the better.

Centramatics
Have them on front tires. They perform as advertised. No need for them on the rears (Volvo chassis, tandem axles). Our eight rear tires are wearing evenly and have lots of life left in them after 220,000 miles of use. Have rotated the tires one time around 150,000 miles as slight differences in front and rear tandem tread depth were beginning to show then.

Turbo 3000 D Vada
Don't have it. Skeptical of product claims.

OPS1 Oil ByPass Filter
Volvo engines have an oil bypass filter built in. No need to add one.

Slush Busters
Now sold on this product based on what readers have reported here on EO. Plan to purchase. Actual product name is Slushbuster. Google search "Slushbuster" to get a list of distributors.

PrePass - E Z Pass - NorPass
Have PrePass and EZ Pass. Would not want to be without them. NorPass seems to provide more cost than benefit.

Lane Departure Warning Device
Don't have but it is a worthy device. Will likely purchase some time in the future. Expensive, but if it saves you from drifting off the road or into the opposing lane one time, how much is that worth?

Michelin X1 Super Single's
Don't have but I love how they look and believe they would provide a slight fuel economy increase on a straight truck. Probably won't purchase them as doing so would mean forfieting the investment we made in 8 Alcoa Durabrght wheels and adding the expense of new Durabrights for the super singles. Wouldn't want to be without these easy-clean, always shining (when clean), no-need-to-polish, Durabright wheels.

Pressure Pro or Doran Air Monitoring System
Don't have. Use tire guage kept handy just inside driver's door. Pressure checking is made quick and easy with flow-through valve stem caps. True, this leaves me without real-time low tire pressure warnings when driving down the road. But well-maintained and frequently-checked tires are reliable. An air pressure monitoring system will not help if a road hazard or anything else causes an instant tire failure. I am diligent in checking tire pressure and prefer to keep that $600 in my pocket.

Belly Boxes
Have them (tool boxes), though not as many as possible. Very nice to have, but if you are not careful, they tend to fill up with uneeded items. With a 16 foot box on a C-unit, and only 14 feet required, we have extra storage space in the box and in our 132" sleeper.

Aux Fuel Tank
Don't have an auxilary fuel tank. With help from our accountant, we provide the IRS with reasonable and defensible estimates of generator and reefer fuel use. Those numbers are then used to deduct taxes paid for off road fuel use. This method provides the fuel tax deduction without the expense and weight of an auxilary tank. To compare notes, it would be interesting to hear from straight truck operators who use auxilary fuel tanks what their actual off road fuel consumption is.

Rig Master
We have a generator and would not be without one. Ours is an Onan, which we would choose again. The other night we were parked next to a truck that was running a Rigmaster, maybe an older model. We moved because of the noise. When that Rigmaster ran on the other truck, it was so loud that we could not hear our own generator running on ours.

Innerlift Lift Gate
Lift gates don't get any better than Innerlift. We have used them on other trucks. Leyman makes a good lift gate too, which we put on our truck due to space consideratons.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We purchased the air monitoring system for a few reasons. One is the investment we have in our Super Single tires and wheels. The Doran does not take the place of a constant check of your tire pressures. What the Doran does though is if you run over something at a customers or on the road and get a slow leak in a tire you will have advance warning and can get this fixed before ruining a tire or the possibility of a blow out. Tires influence your fuel mileage also so a constant check of tire pressure is mandatory. The Doran checks your tire pressure every five seconds.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
looks like an add for the dave nemo show,if its sold on xm radio,guess we need it,now about the super singles,michlin is the onlyy one where they guarantee to have a replacement if needed,bridgestone doesnt carry supers every where.by the way,i have centramatics,paid 175 bucks for the steering axle,but the ride isnt any better than when i was use equal,the powder you use in the tires for balance,and its much much cheaper