fuel surcharge

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
As a contractor, I never get to see the bid process. I don't know whether or not a FSC is even bid into the process. So I still stand behind my answer. I would rather get $1.85 instead of $1.65 any day...

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
As Forrest said, "I'm not a smart man", so keep it simple for me....:rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As a contractor, I never get to see the bid process. I don't know whether or not a FSC is even bid into the process. So I still stand behind my answer. I would rather get $1.85 instead of $1.65 any day...
We're back to the "well, duh" moment. So what you are saying is, you're happy with $1.85, and as long as you get $1.85, then it doesn't matter if you are actually due $1.96 because you're happy with $1.85, and whatever the carrier makes above $1.85 you couldn't care less about. Got it.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
We're back to the "well, duh" moment. So what you are saying is, you're happy with $1.85, and as long as you get $1.85, then it doesn't matter if you are actually due $1.96 because you're happy with $1.85, and whatever the carrier makes above $1.85 you couldn't care less about. Got it.

If you remember I said average of...

I am very happy when I get those short loads that pay the truck much more. But as long as I am getting more than company B, C, and D were offering I don't care if I am getting beat out of a few cent's per mile because of some calculation. I am still making more in the end. Especially if leasing to company A pays more for the same load that I was getting at company B...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you remember I said average of...
Yes, I remember. I also remember how concerned you are with things on a load-by-load basis.

I am very happy when I get those short loads that pay the truck much more. But as long as I am getting more than company B, C, and D were offering I don't care if I am getting beat out of a few cent's per mile because of some calculation. I am still making more in the end. Especially if leasing to company A pays more for the same load that I was getting at company B...
Right. I got it.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, I remember. I also remember how concerned you are with things on a load-by-load basis.

I was only concerned with how FSC fluctuates on a load by load basis. In order for an FSC to be effective the basis for the calculation should be in a long term contract so that the person paying for the fuel is getting a consistent rate.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Gary..who cares?....as long as YOU get the price you need?......if the carrier makes a snot load of money from a load and we get what we need...carrier makes money, we make money....everyone is happy....

In theory, that's true. In practice, we sometimes accept loads that don't quite meet the rate we need, because it's for a very good customer, we're the only truck that can, it's a rescue - there are many reasons to do it, but they all boil down to the fact that we trust the carrier to not abuse the relationship by lying to us.
Same goes for the FS: if the carrier is dishonest about it, they shouldn't be trusted about anything else, either.
It's not entirely about the money, because the relationship is what keeps us with a carrier, or prompts us to look elsewhere. For me, trust in their honesty is as important as mine is to them: violating it is a definite dealbreaker.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gary, does your carrier have customers of their own? I think you may be only seeing this from the perspective of an owner leased to a small carrier working bid boards where the bidders bid a total price for the load. Nice and simple. But many carriers have their own customers and published tariffs with a fuel surcharge program. The published rate is kinda like a manufacturers suggested retail price. Most customers don't pay that rate. Better customers negotiate a contract with a specified rate that may or may not include a fuel surcharge.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, originally fuel surcharge programs were just that, a surcharge in addition to a carriers tariffs to cover the volatile fluctuations in the price of fuel.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm just baffled by the thinking. A flat rate of 1.85 or 1.96 all in? Granted it is a few cents nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:
If you ran 100k per year, you are leaving $11K on the table.
There are many carriers that have a application waiting.:cool:

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
Dave, I may have a lot to learn as I have said. However I am talking averages, and I have seen a dramatic revenue increase on a per mile (all miles) basis since I went to my current carrier. I am not leaving anything on the table. I am getting paid better even sometimes for the very same loads. My comments in this forum are about what I have experienced with an FSC, and how I don't believe it is living up to what it is supposed to do. I am not condemning any carrier or saying anyone is crooked. I just think that too much is put into the FSC when the bottom line is what should be looked at.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Bottom line is the factor. Unfortunately, many take advantage when they can. Only way you will know is get a copy of what the customer was actually charged. Then you find out just how honest, or not your carrier or broker is.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just think that too much is put into the FSC when the bottom line is what should be looked at.

If your carrier charges a fuel surcharge and pays you a fuel surcharge, then a fuel surcharge is part of the bottom line. Don't get hung up on this fsc thing. You don't get paid an fsc, so don't worry about it. The OP who started this thread asked about fuel surcharges. Hopefully he found an answer to his question while wadding through the slop. Does anybody remember what his question was?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If your carrier charges a fuel surcharge and pays you a fuel surcharge, then a fuel surcharge is part of the bottom line. Don't get hung up on this fsc thing. You don't get paid an fsc, so don't worry about it. The OP who started this thread asked about fuel surcharges. Hopefully he found an answer to his question while wadding through the slop.

Does anybody remember what his question was?

After 92 replies? Get real, lol. :p

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes i did get the answer i was looking for,,,many thanks to all of you this place is great...i ran a tile and marble business for 20 years and it took 20 years to learn it. just like in that business had many diffront people running there business many diffront ways with many diffront views or angles, thats why some are more successful at it than others, again thanks for the advice i will gather what will work for me best and start building this business my way. wish we had a tile forum back then maybe would have learned tile business faster and made more loot......