Fuel economy and Cold Air

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That is a great article! Very informative. Thank you for sharing it.

Diane and I have seen a predictable decline in fuel economy when the temperature drops. We took up saying the truck does not like the cold. We now understand the phenomenon better and will now say the truck does not like the heavier air.

The piece reminds us all about the importance of good aerodynamics and other fuel saving measures.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Wind Chill Factors - Today's Trucking, the truck news site.

An article on the effects of frigid air and fuel economy

Excellent and timely! We always calculate increased operating cost for winter operations to include decreased fuel economy. In addition, with anti-gel costing about $18.00 to treat 160 gal. (cost vary with brand/locations etc.) so we add .0125 per mile for the use of anti-gel. If load offers don't come in to justify winter operations, we will run less. Additional considerations include the corrosive nature of road chemicals and the effect on electrical connectors.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just one thing,

The fuel temps going into the engine are usually stabilized enough at a temp that returns fuel to the energy level that is needed to run the truck. Some engines have fuel heaters within the fuel system (Cummins and Detroit being two that come to mind) and the injection system heats the fuel either when it is being pumped through the injection system or as it is being injected through the friction of the fuel during the pressure increases.

Heating the fuel at the tanks of in-line is there to prevent gelling, but the drop that sometimes comes with winter mix of fuel comes from the mix itself, lowering the BTU content of the fuel in order to lower the gelling point.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Winter hits those of us in vans, too-- and for much the same reasons. I keep my fuel mileage, and I see the decrease every winter just in running. Now, some of us throw in another fuel-bandit and that is the need to run the engine, at least occasionally, while at a rest stop. That's burning fuel at no miles to the gallon, and that has to cost.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Did anyone mentions Bio Diesel ?
in winter time, i normally watch carefully for the mix stamped on the Pump. and try to avoid states where a Bio diesel is in the use.
I.L comes to mind. normally it'll be a very cheap state to buy fuel, but in winter time they use B20, which greatly drop the Fuel millage.
when you think about it, bio diesel winter mix, not only not reduce our nations dependance on foreign oil, it increases it .
interesting.
(but then it makes farmers happy, and they go and buy more tractors, which in returns get us more Expedite freight going to the 4City's...)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My understanding is that Indiana and Illinois use a higher % of bio in their diesel, causing it to gel at a higher temp than one would expect. If I fuel in those states when it's cold, I'll add antigel before I would otherwise, just as a precaution.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in the days when I had the Sprinter, I used anti-gel throughout the winter. 15% Bio-diesel is all that you can get around here, and I've had the time or two of having to call a tow truck because it wouldn't start.

Problem: The owner's manual said not to use bio-diesel mixes, but as I just said that's all that you can get around here. You have to go maybe two hundred miles to find a station that sells straight diesel fuel.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting and informative article but I must take exception to the use of "Wind Chill Factors" in the article's title. The wind chill factor or wind chill index is mathematical formula used to express the feeling and effect that wind combined with cold air has on exposed human skin. It does not pertain to inanimate objects such as trucks or wheelchocks. While wind the wind chill index does have scientific value, it is grossly overused by weather stooges on the nightly television news. Nothing like taking a nice balmy temperature of 20º, add some wind and presto, you've got -1º. And, if it is -30º and the wind factor makes for a wind chill index of -50º, does it really matter?

I suppose one could argue that fuel economy does drop as the wind chill index dips, because, as the article stated, colder air is denser, and cold air is one component in the wind chill index equation. Get rid of the mention of "wind chill factor" and it is a good article. Anybody seen any "black ice" yet?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
you will find that all truck stops put additive in their fuel for anti gel.This alone will cause a drop in fuel mileage.Now add in the cross winds you are in,its all getting in your bottom line.If your running bio diesel,you need an addititve that wi raise the cetane rating.The bio alone will drop your fuel mileage.Just in the last 3 weeks,because ive been running out west,my Fuel mileage has dropped from 7 plus miles per gallon to in the 5's.Of course I'm 80000 lbs almost everytrip.If mother nature would help me with a tail wind,this could all change

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive always been a user of the Cetane Boosters, Antigels etc when needed, Id rather be safe the sorry and since I run North allot I always add some Howes to my topped off tanks, Ive never had an Issue, if I were running the Mountain states the Cetane boost helps but can give you added UMMPH in winter or when headed across Kansas or North towards the frozen tundras...keeping a fuel filter handy never hurts in the event of water and a frozen filter etc, but I think the modern machines of today have most of that covered. I recentl7y ran from Texas to St Paul MN and man the headwinds were awful, I burned easily an extra tank of fuel headed up there, no wonder they have all those wind farms out there....