Front End Alignment

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
People do not make the mistake I just learned about today. (The hard way)

I have had a very slight pull to the left. Cheapest Fix, Rotate right? Hmmm it was terrible after that, let go and two zipper lines and she was heading for the left lane.

Tires, well were or could have been salvaged. Only 5 months old, so a new Set of Michelin Steers, plus one front end Alignment. Costly YES.

I should and did know better, for now on ANY Pull at all and in its going into the Front End Guy. Tires are to expensive to replace before their time. Hope this message saves someone else a thousand dollars, as I will never forget it now.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I agree 100%....another thing I found out the hard way was to take it to the dealership and get the alignment taken care of.

Reason being, I took the truck into a truck tire dealership outside of Detroit and was told the truck was within specs and not to worry about it...Later I took the truck into my local International dealer with odd tire wear and slight pulling problem (along with getting my tie rods replaced)

the inside tread on one steer tire was wearing fast while the outside tread on the other side was wearing equally fast, I knew that the tie rods had some normal wear and was waiting for the dealership to get #2 of 2 in stock.

Come to find out that the drive axle had kicked out and was trying to go to the right while I was trying to keep it on the road and steering to the left.

this not only effected the steers but also effected the inner treads of both inside tires on the drive axles, fortunatly with the deep lugged drive tires I'll still get alot of mileage from these tires.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
The only thing I could add to this is... I wouldn't throw away my money for a frontend alignment, without doing the other one, or, two axles. Front end alignment is OK (kinda) but, lining up the whole thing is mo-bettah.

tru2037

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with the 2 axle alignment, most trucks from the dealer are not ever aligned, at least the rear isn't. A rotation on a heavy/medium truck will never solve anything since you cannot rotate from the rear to the front.

Badmunky

Seasoned Expediter
I drive a Hino 338 and no mater what they do my tires are toast in 100k.

I have driven 3 different Hinos and talked to atleast 6 other owners that have have the same problems.

I dont know what it is about these trucks but they will not go strait to save there life!

Later.

Russell

Seasoned Expediter
Freightliner truck dealers will probably provide the best results for Sprinter Van alignments. Every axle is as important as the steer axle when it comes to truck alignment and that includes the trailer axles especialy if the truck is married to the trailer full time. When was the last time your trailer axles were aligned? Trailer axles tracking off between each other of more than 3/16" in either dirrection is the number "TWO" alignment cause of truck steer axle tire ware! You will normally have a pull that is worse and more noticeable with a load on the trailer! Once the steer tires are worn with a the same dirrectiional feather edge feel, the truck will then pull with out the trailer hooked up! This drives truck alignment shops crazy thinking the rear of the truck is causing the problem. Correctly trained alignment shops will know to ask if the trailer has been aligned recently even if the trailer is at another location down the road possably with a load. The ball is now in the truck owners coart to get the trailer into the alignment shop a.s.a.p before the steer tires establish a dirrectional tire ware pattern.

Rusty.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I realize most on this thread are talking Med/HD trucks, but the CV's owners/drivers need to pay attention to this as well. If there is a pot hole in any road, I'll find it. I have the tires rotated at every oil filter change (10,000 miles) and the alignment and balanced is done every oil change (20,0000 miles) or anytime the need arises, like a vibration, pull or signs of wear.

As a matter of fact, I'll be going out of service may 14th and the ft end will get a going over, over the weekend.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually Russel I was told today by the Mercedes regional service manager that the best alignment the Sprinter can have is at the Mercedes dealer.

Whether that is true or not, we will see. A friend's sprinter is headed to one tomorrow morning for a good going through before her trip to California.

Russell

Seasoned Expediter
Greg, just make sure your local Mercedese Dealer is set up to align the sprinter as Mercedes is now the new service and sales dealership for the brand. Some dealers wont be able to fit these vehicles on the alignment machine yet or so I have been told. Call first. Some of the Freightliner dealers on the other hand have been alinging these units for some time now since the brand's inception. Go to the shop with the best reputation so ask around for good referances. No I don't work for Freightliner.
Russell.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the heads up. The dealer where it is going, I know very well and they have worked on sprinters for 8 years now.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Not sure about the vans and straight trucks,but most of your class 8 trucks,when wheel alignment is perfect, will pull slightly to the right.This does have a slight affect on the right tire,as in most cases it will wear faster than the left.The reason of the pull to the right,is suppose to be a safety factor.Fall asleep and you go into the woods,instead of crossing the median and having a head on crash with another vehicle.I get 200000 miles out of my steering tires,but I rotate them at half life.Another thing most people don't know,the first part of the tire compound is softer than the last half,and therefore wears faster,so if you purchase your new tires around October or November,the wear is slower in the colder months,and when it gets hotter,your into the slower part of the compound,this will also increase the mileage of you tires.Years ago this was explained to me by a Goodyear tire rep.I've followed this for years,and it has worked for me both in my drive tires,and steering tires.As far as brand of tires,I use to be a totally Goodyear person,but last two sets at 190000 miles on steers were junk.Went to Michelin Got 200000 miles and even got a trade in value that was a used tire rate.I went to Bridgestone,got 200000,on first set,and I/m on my second set of Bridgestones,although they are different tread designs as the right one was replaced do to the past wreck I was in,and they didn't have the same tire that was on my drivers side.
Now as far as my drive tires,usually 300 to 350000 miles.Over the years I've used a number of different brands of tires,Goodyear,Kelly,Dunlap,Michelin,Bridgestone,They have all gave me the same service,none better than the other.
I will say,even though you save money on the original cost of recaps,over the life of the tire,you actually save by buying virgin tires,rather than the recaps.
One more thing before I 'm done.In my steer tires for years I used the powder called Equal for tire balance.it has always worked great for me,but 3 sets of tires ago,I got a special deal on a set of Michelin steers,so i bought a set of Centramatic's.
honestly,The powder is just as good for the balance,and much much cheaper.
Hi Broom,good to see you posting again,you see I've changed companies.