Freightliner or Hino

Which truck

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty much the same body and sleeper. Both well taken care of and in the same condition.

Freightliner with Mercedes 260HP and 6 speed manual. 230 000 Miles. Privately owned and in daily use. Cash price $30 000.

Hino with 260HP and 6 speed manual. 230 000 Miles. At dealer. Cash price $23 000.

Your honest opinion would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Well, if you've seen the past year and a half with my Hino you'd know the answer IMO :eek:
Freightliner is your choice
There is a reason the Hino is cheaper....

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Let me add that others here have had good luck with their Hino's so maybe I was one of the few that got a bad one
Still not convinced on their longevity as compared to the other trucks out there, only time will tell.
If you haven't driven a Hino check out the AC it's pretty anemic.
I always had to have it on high and on hot days it just wouldn't keep up. again maybe this was just my truck.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I'd be going with the Hino .
i had a very good luck with mine so far (...knock on cheap dash).
but ,only if that Hino have a slow rear end .if that truck gets more then 1,800 RPM @ 60MPH ,than that engine might already be cooked .

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Wasn't there a time on this forum that there was a group of raving Hino fans? I'm sure there are still Hino owners here, but I don't hear the rave.

eb

truckingbill

Seasoned Expediter
Check with whom you plan to sign on with before you buy a Hino, I had a purchase agrreement on a 2007 Hino only to find out it wasn't compadible with the Quailcom and could not sign on with the company, lucky the dealership understood the problem and allowed me out of the contract with a 100% refund.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Do a search on them here.
Then you will ask, "what is a Hino"?

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I have one of each,the Hino has around 250,000.The Freightliner is about the same,with the MBE.The Hino's had it's major trouble around 60,000 miles with a blown turbo,7 days in the shop most of it waiting on parts.I've had other stuff go out the warrany covered most of it.The trk has a Allison trans,the couple has been in the trk since i got it new.They had to make the adjustment of lack of hill power and that's not a issue for them,there biggest complaint is the driver seat is uncomfortable.I as the owner hope to get 500,000 out of it,i believe in buying new and the warranty and the low interest rate were a big part of my reasoning for this purchase.The Freightliner was great until the warranty ran out then the EGR valve then the cooler were the biggest expenses,again there's other stuff but nothing that kept the truck off the road for any long period of time.These trucks are not class 8's there cheap,to get into a new class8 in 06 set up the same would have cost 50,000 more for a brand new one.If your gonna keep it 7-10 years and ya got the extra money get the class 8.If i was buying used i'd get a class8,so as much as both of my trucks have been what i expected so far.I'd say if you can broaden your seach and look at some other trucks,take your time and make a choice you feel good with.All hope for best and plan for the worest no matter what you buy.

moose

Veteran Expediter
.These trucks are not class 8's there cheap,to get into a new class8 in 06 set up the same would have cost 50,000 more for a brand new one.If your gonna keep it.

very informative post .

when i bought my Hino ,i set down with my calculator.
on one page there was the Hino , on the other the Cascedia .
the Hino came out 72,540$ cheaper .
Might not last as long ,but it'll take lots of visits to the garage ,and lots of heavy good paying loads to make it up .
i still think the way to do Expedite is in a class 7 - if buying new .
Buy less - drive less - be happy .
anyone reading this ? ... Bob ? ... Linda ?... :)

guido4475

Not a Member
At 500,000 miles that Hino will be wheezed out !! The cascadia will be ready for another 500,000 plus miles with no problem.So, in the long run, a person is better off spending that extra $72,540.It is like getting 2 trucks in one.And dont forget about downtime, either.Lost income, etc.A Hino is just a local delivery truck, if that.No offense, Dakota.Why do so many try to force a truck to do something it wasnt meant to do in the first place? Then they wonder why it is always in the shop, putting them in bankruptcy.Spend a little more in the beginning, save alot in the future.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
At 500,000 miles that Hino will be wheezed out !! The cascadia will be ready for another 500,000 plus miles with no problem.So, in the long run, a person is better off spending that extra $72,540.It is like getting 2 trucks in one.Andu dont forget about downtime, either.Lost income, etc.A Hino is just a local delivery truck, if that.No offense, Dakota.Why do so many try to force a truck to do something it wasnt meant to do in the first place? Then they wonder why it is always in the shop, putting them in bankruptcy.Spend a little more in the beginning, save alot in the future.
no offense taken, I know what I drive :eek:)

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I wasn't comparing the Hino with a Cascadia,i have a M2 and i thought that was what we were comparing? I happen to have both so i thought i would relate my experiences and a little of my reasoning as to why i bought entry level or city trks for hwy use.I don't expect more then 500,000 out of either one of them and they each have a trust fund with the money i saved on the purchase and so far there work history is good,i list the biggest down time repairs for each.The other point i forgot was the Frightliner get's better MPG always has,If i had to do over i would have go the Hino with a stick.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I thought you were done with the Hino...

Yes I am, the Hino is now someone else's problem. I have been in a International loaner until my truck arrives

I was responding to Guido's comment about local delivery trucks don't make good expeditor trucks

wheeljam

Seasoned Expediter
I will not drive a Hino again until they fix some of the problems with them. They are to rough a ride. In september of 09 I had to come off the road and have surgery on my neck. I had a protruding disk in my neck completely strangling the spinal cord, almost paralyzed me. I am just now getting back to work.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I will not drive a Hino again until they fix some of the problems with them. They are to rough a ride. In september of 09 I had to come off the road and have surgery on my neck. I had a protruding disk in my neck completely strangling the spinal cord, almost paralyzed me. I am just now getting back to work.

I have to agree on the rough ride, I am now being babied with the nice ride of my International, the air ride rear doesn't hurt also:D

blondechick

Seasoned Expediter
Our Hino 2007 has 415k on her. She is on her 3rd turbo and we have replaced all the injectors. When we first got her we did run her hard, but for the last 2 1/2 years we've kept her at 60mph and she seems to like that better. The A/C is pitiful on hot humid days and the seats are HORRIBLE. Overall I'd calculate her maintenance and repairs to be approximately 10% of our gross. I'm not sure how that compairs with other trucks.

Like any truck she has had her problems and we have said our share of swear words at her; but overall she's been a good truck.

Deville

Not a Member
As luck would have it a week or so after I saw this thread I decided to dangle my toe in the water & look for a new (used) truck for myself. I had certain things that I want in my next truck that will be more condusive for Manhattan work & the lone truck I had that fit the bill was an 06' Hino with just under 200k on it. Dealer asking price $17,500. A lot cheaper than the FL, Int'l, Kenworth or Sterlings i've seen.

I have to say i'm tempted. I can by a warrenty with it. I have to see if the new QC is compatiable with it. I've seen Hinos at the same dealer that are & are not. Not sure what would make one diffrent from the other.