Freightliner or Hino

Which truck

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

moose

Veteran Expediter
In my last visit to Long Island ,last week ,which was the 1st in a few years ,i was surprised to see so many Hino's share the LIEW with me .looks like the NYC dealers are doing great ,

Deville

Not a Member
A couple of years ago I made a Delivery in Queens to a florring company. They guy had just switched over from UD's to Hinos. He siad the UD's were wearing out after 4to 6 years because of all the constant weight being put on them & the stop & go traffic.

He speced his Hinos out where there was a toolbox size small sleeper between the cab & the bed so the weight would be evenly distrubited, he said they were the best trucks he ever owned. Now this was back in 08' I'm guess the trucks were around 1 to 2 years old than. I'd like to know how he feels about them now.

I have to agree that the UD's to wear out if you over load them day in 7 day out, but than again so will any truck. I've had 3 UD's & I always liked them, but I dunno if I could handle a cabover ride anymore, & they hold there resale vaule, very expensive to get into a used one.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
spoke to a fella on medical leave from e-1 at the expo. he was in the sleeper when the accident occurred. the frame of the hino twisted. the frig ended up on top of him. you would think the frig would be anchored to the wall, but no. the interior of the sleeper was a jumble. you might also want to look into the sleeper for safety reasons. i can tell you this was not a bentz/bolt sleeper.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
As luck would have it a week or so after I saw this thread I decided to dangle my toe in the water & look for a new (used) truck for myself. I had certain things that I want in my next truck that will be more condusive for Manhattan work & the lone truck I had that fit the bill was an 06' Hino with just under 200k on it. Dealer asking price $17,500. A lot cheaper than the FL, Int'l, Kenworth or Sterlings i've seen.

I have to say i'm tempted. I can by a warrenty with it. I have to see if the new QC is compatiable with it. I've seen Hinos at the same dealer that are & are not. Not sure what would make one diffrent from the other.

have you followed the thread....."my hino nightmare" by dakota about his used truck?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
i can tell you this was not a bentz/bolt sleeper.

The one thing I can give Bentz credit for is how they anchor the cabinets to the sleeper. It takes an average of 15 minutes to get one loose and sometimes when the bolts are rusted, it can take longer. The Cabinets are also built well too - ok two things.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
have you followed the thread....."my hino nightmare" by dakota about his used truck?

I have to add that my truck was not a good one, but there are good Hino's out there. Unfortunately, I hear more bad stories on Hino's then good. People don't complain about them when they are running good. Like Sprinters, Hino's might be a truck that bought new is fine but a used one could be a nightmare.
It was the overall package that turned me off though
An uncomfortable seat(this could be changed)
A rough ride(nature of the beast but it seems it rode more rough then similiar trucks)
An anemic AC/Heat system(I remember the old internationals and Frieghtliners weren't the best either, but the new ones are fine)
Lack of power(again nature of the beast but 20 extra horspower would go a long way)

Deville

Not a Member
There was a guy who was running for CEVA, I think he had a Hino. I can't remember his Screen name.