Free Cell Phone Minutes!!!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Was in Batesburg SC today saw a long line of about 50 people. A large sign on the tent said "Free Minutes". They were lined up for OB's free cell phones.
Like Romney stated after the elections, "You can't beat Santa Claus". :mad:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Was in Batesburg SC today saw a long line of about 50 people. A large sign on the tent said "Free Minutes". They were lined up for OB's free cell phones.
Like Romney stated after the elections, "You can't beat Santa Claus". :mad:

I hate to burst peoples bubbles but those phones are not Obama's doings. That program started in 1985 it is called LifeLine at that time it helped people with there land line. In 2005 they started giving people a choice Land Line or Cell Phone. The funds come from the USF that adds 1.00 to all phone bills. You can verify this information at the FCC website. My mother inlaw is on disability and she has one.
Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers | FCC.gov

http://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/faq/obama-phone

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You know that, and I know that, and a lot of people here know that, but that's what it's called, nonetheless.

As they take note at ObamaPhone.net, "no one will ever know who really coined the term “Obama phone,” the truth is government assistance for phone service has been in existence since the 1980′s."

The term certainly didn't originate here, but this video is what garnered it world-side attention.
The Obamaphone Lady - YouTube

The awesome remix of the Obama Phone Lady
GOT OBAMA PHONE - Remix - #ObamaPhone - YouTube

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . . the truth is government assistance for phone service has been in existence since the 1980′s."

And who was president in the 80's, Oh yeah, I remember now, Mr Conservative himself, Ronald Reagan. Guess we can call it the Reagan Phone.

reagan%2Bphone-798031.jpg

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
And who was president in the 80's, Oh yeah, I remember now, Mr Conservative himself, Ronald Reagan. Guess we can call it the Reagan Phone.

reagan%2Bphone-798031.jpg

Helping one "afford" phone service, and giving it for free, are two different things.

Carter passed the Community Reinvestment Act. Clinton helped make it into the ponzi scheme it became. Who is at fault here?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Helping one "afford" phone service, and giving it for free, are two different things.

Carter passed the Community Reinvestment Act. Clinton helped make it into the ponzi scheme it became. Who is at fault here?

I'm just pointing out who was president when all this phone crap started.
Didn't say I was for it or whose "fault" it is. Afterall it is all our fault. We keep electing the same bozo's to congress.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm just pointing out who was president when all this phone crap started.
Didn't say I was for it or whose "fault" it is. Afterall it is all our fault. We keep electing the same bozo's to congress.

Oh, I agree they're all bozos. Tho Reagan isn't completely clean, he didn't have the line item veto he was wanting, so all this crap shoved into a defense bill could hardly be "on him".

From what I've read, this free cell phone thing came under Bush's watch, three months before the election. Well, I doubt Bush's intention of signing said bill was to make the under-privileged and under-welfared to think it was coming from Obama. That, I believe, was the liberal Congress's intention. They can sleep in their bed. It's OBAMA PHONE.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
All may be true but Obama just put a lot of money to increase the program.
No budget, Park the Navy, Obama care trillions of dollars. Don't even remember what Obama care is really called but he's killing America. Time for Revalution.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Well....we are broke now. Probably time to end it. They use to give free horses 100 years ago and that stopped. Just a thought to ponder.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
The really bad part about this is the abuse,some households have many phones (by law only allowed one)and the phone carriers hand them out like candy because of the revenue they gain.Just think of the field day you would have if you could pull your truck up to any plant in the country ask what they have to ship that day take your pick and then bill the Government! Deliver and do it again!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The really bad part about this is the abuse,
Actually, the really bad part of this is that the funding is involuntary. If, instead, it were means-tested, so only the deserving could benefit, and contributions were voluntary, many people would choose to kick in a couple bucks a month. Instead, it goes to people who won't work rather than people who can't.
Same with medical care. If people knew truly needy people would benefit, lots of people would be willing to add $5 to a doctor bill to reduce gramma's prescription or other medical need.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe the dreaded Sequester will impose cutbacks on the "free phone" business.:eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe the dreaded Sequester will impose cutbacks on the "free phone" business.:eek:

No, they are going to protect Obama's "base". The bums, the illegals, the drug dealers, pot smokers etc. It is just working tax payers that are going to take it in the ear, AGAIN!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually, the really bad part of this is that the funding is involuntary. If, instead, it were means-tested, so only the deserving could benefit, and contributions were voluntary, many people would choose to kick in a couple bucks a month. Instead, it goes to people who won't work rather than people who can't.
Same with medical care. If people knew truly needy people would benefit, lots of people would be willing to add $5 to a doctor bill to reduce gramma's prescription or other medical need.

That is the difference between charity and extortion.