Flashing lights behind me in AZ

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Zak, I'm pretty sure that in case of a crash, an inspection is always done - I had a very minor fender bender a few months ago, [not DOT reportable], and a trooper did an inspection on my truck, even though he determined it was the other driver's fault.
I can't imaging an inspection wouldn't be done on a CMV involved in a crash, ever.

Both of the accidents that I've been involved in, one a fatality, there was no inspection done. The state troopers in both cases, WV and MO, didn't even want to see my log book. The most recent one put 6 points on my CSA 2010, when the motorcyclist rode into my truck. (He didn't see it.) I didn't check to see how many points I would have received from the fatal accident if it was recent enough to count.

guido4475

Not a Member
The biggest problem with the rules and regulations is the officers way of interpreting the law/regulation.It all depands on how he sees the law,his own view.This has been admitted to me by many DOT officers as well as a few High School freinds who have become DOT officers as well.

guido4475

Not a Member
But getting back to the mudflap thing, I could never understand why somany put these cheesy,garbage quality mudflaps on a truck, so short, only to be replacing them in the winter when they get brittle and break?

There is a place in Richmond,Ind, across from the Petro, that is a chrome shop.He has mudflaps that are 1/2 inch thick,made of rubber and plastic mixture, and will not break, curl, etc.24 wide,(standard) by how ever long you need, up to 42" long, for dump trucks.They can be easily cut with a sabre saw,holes drilled into cleanly.You will pay for them, but they do not sail or flap in the extreme wind.and they look nice, easily armor-allable.Real nice people over there, family owned.I cut mine so they were 2inches away from the ground.Never a problem.They will be the last mudflaps you will buy, unless you become one of those drivers who insist on smacking the curb while backing up.I could never understand that.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The biggest problem with the rules and regulations is the officers way of interpreting the law/regulation.It all depands on how he sees the law,his own view.This has been admitted to me by many DOT officers as well as a few High School freinds who have become DOT officers as well.

That's not always the case. If they interpret the law wrong, you can fight it and win. I have a friend that was cited in Kentucky for having his company name and DOT info on the box of his straight truck. The officer said it had to be on the power unit. My friend correctly pointed out to him that a straight truck is a power unit and there was nothing wrong with the signs being there. The officer just shook his head and said something to the effect of, "I'm the guy with the ticket book". All it took was one phone call and the ticket was dismissed.

guido4475

Not a Member
That's not always the case. If they interpret the law wrong, you can fight it and win. I have a friend that was cited in Kentucky for having his company name and DOT info on the box of his straight truck. The officer said it had to be on the power unit. My friend correctly pointed out to him that a straight truck is a power unit and there was nothing wrong with the signs being there. The officer just shook his head and said something to the effect of, "I'm the guy with the ticket book". All it took was one phone call and the ticket was dismissed.

That is what I am trying to say...The DOT officer in youre freinds case interpreted the law wrong, and it was proven, and dismissed.The same thing as I was trying to say....

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i agree with all of you about how a officer looks at the law, in his own mind. but as i stated before, all i can find in print and all i have heard on the radio in discussions with csa reps. still show an inspection form needs to accompany a violation to be counted. of course i do understand that it will not always be handled that way. i also think the suit filed is a good thing, because of this. the old saying is you cant get driver to agree on the price of a free cup of coffee. this should cross over to the states and the way they look at the laws differently. no state should be able to have a law that trumps a federal law when it comes to laws and rules for trucks. we should have an easily accessible way to dispute and correct mistakes that have been made.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
That is what I am trying to say...The DOT officer in youre freinds case interpreted the law wrong, and it was proven, and dismissed.The same thing as I was trying to say....

The case was dismissed but if it was recent I bet the CSA points are still there if it was cited during an inspection .

ATeam

Retired Expediter
i agree with all of you about how a officer looks at the law, in his own mind. but as i stated before, all i can find in print and all i have heard on the radio in discussions with csa reps. still show an inspection form needs to accompany a violation to be counted.

I have looked into this further and found nothing that counters what you say above. A speeding ticket issued without an inspection form would not count as CSA points. All information reported to CSA is through MCMIS. The ticket will of course show up on your MVR.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i clicked my fingers raw on this, trying to find something to oppose but could not. no, it doesnt seem rite. as stated though, it is all in how the particular officer/state handles it. it would be nice if, for once they would get together and get it rite. drivers dont need the inconvenience of reporting non reportable csa points. especially since it seems there is no way to be assured they get corrected.

transporter

Expert Expediter
cheri, i know inspections are not always done. i have seen a cop not do one when a cycle with little damage was hauled away. no logbook was asked for either, that was strange. trucker admitted it was his fault

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
I mistakenly assumed from the title of this post that the Phoenix Lights were again sighted.

They're baaaaaaack. :eek:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
cheri, i know inspections are not always done. i have seen a cop not do one when a cycle with little damage was hauled away. no logbook was asked for either, that was strange. trucker admitted it was his fault

Still finding it mind boggling that an inspection wouldn't be done when a CMV is involved, especially in this lawsuit conscious age...

Dynamo

Seasoned Expediter
It's beginning to look like every state is finding one or two specific things to go after.:(

I've been pulled over by a TX trooper for a so-called "defective light", which actually was working... due to the fact that we (the people) can't mess with them, I took that warning ticket....:(

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
States need for "Revenue Generation" via violation enforcement and CSA 2010 are not going to co-exist well for drivers...

"Resistance is futile....You will be assimilated...!!"

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got a really dumb question at the bottom.

I have had two violations, one was for a light that went out while I was driving and officer said he watched it go out. The other was an "out of adjustment" brake adjuster as described in a thread in the truck forum.

Each of these two violations I paid a Zero fine.

I understand that much of the revenue doesn't come from the common problems through inspections, like lights, brakes or cargo securement but rather the things we can avoid by watching our behavior like speeding, reckless or aggressive driving.

SO I came to this conclusion, there is no advantage to the CSA 2010 for the states because their quotas are increased, hence their expenditures are increased and the only way they can make up this gap is to actually start enforcing the other laws, like ticketing a truck who is doing 70 in a 60 zone, or am I wrong?