First Truck What to bring

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What is most important to bring?

Driving a rental car to orientation and to pickup truck. Will not be back home for at least a month.

What do you bring?

GPS
phone head sets
Phones
computer
sun glasses
Shower Bag
Sheets
Pillows
blanket
Winter coats, mittens, hats
at least weeks worth of clothing - can do laundry on the weekends
two pair of sturdy shoes - in case one pair gets wet
dirty cloths bag
laundry soap
cutlery - minimal - cups - water bottles
gloves to fuel with

You can go to grocery store to buy food and baggies for storage so no need to bring food. Can buy paper products; plates, bowls, plasticware. Hand sanitizer, dish soap, paper towels.

After you get the truck you can figure out if you want to use baskets or how you want to use the cupboard space.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Bring enough money to the new endeavor to support yourself away from home for at least 60 days with no other revenue coming in. You are not likely to be stranded 60 days without revenue but you need this kind of cushion to react to any emergency or unanticipated situations that develop.

Financial reserves are a key to expediting success. Expediters who have them can react to the unexpected in ways those lacking reserves cannot.

Reactions: rollincoal

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Financial reserves are a key to expediting success. Expediters who have them can react to the unexpected in ways those lacking reserves cannot.

Agreed, with one exception, those who have reserves can respond in ways those without cannot. It's always better to be able to respond to a situation than be forced to react to it. Reaction is often less beneficial and sometimes harmful. As an example, it's great when the doctor says one is responding to the medication but not good to be told one is having a reaction to it.

What to bring, maybe add a Kindle or Nook for all the free books available to read during the many hours of waiting. An mp3 device with the music you like if your phone doesn't do that to enjoy during the many hours of waiting. Hobby stuff if you have a hobby like radio control planes/cars or amateur radio or something portable you can enjoy during the many hours of waiting. Oh, and also something to help pass the time during the many hours of waiting.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sure wish instead of running off a new person looking at this thread you would be helpful with ideas on how to set up a new truck with what you can pack into a car to bring with you.

It is much easier if the truck can be brought back to the house to be loaded as you have several chances to get it right before you start out to pick up that first load and be gone a month.

Before getting to the point of picking up the first truck you need to get your finances in order and be able to bank online and have reserves. That should be done before packing a car to go to orientation and get into a truck.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Leo suggest some good ideas of bringing something to read and a hobby. Personally I like to cross stitch so I always have a picture that I am working on with me. It goes without saying to have the phone set up to listen to Audible books while driving and to have a kindle in the sleeper for reading. Pickup the free magazines at the truck stops to read. Those free magazines will help to keep you informed of what is happening within our industry. Bob likes to play Suduko and solitaire as well as polish on our truck.

Sitting around twiddling your thumbs is not a good option for peace of mind.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I like to explore areas I am in, try new food places, be a tourist...apps on phone (love Audible) trucker path, iheartradio, watchespn, gas buddy, trip advisor, weather channel. Kindle app too. Also if no way to connect ext audio/phone, get an RF Adapter to connect thru a radio station, used that for xm/sirius before got better radio, then a pm with it in it. Also eventually a tv/dvd w digital antenna and redbox app to find them.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good idea on Apps did not think of that. My favorite is the TA App to be able book showers from the truck.

Reactions: Greg

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Easier in a cargo van to explore new areas... that's a definite plus to driving one, right up there with no logs
unless that has changed from my day

tknight

Veteran Expediter
We are helpful if the newbies can't take some humor go back home !

A map a good gps and maintainence supplies

Reactions: TDave

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you take pills use a nation wide drug store in case you need pills on the road
also have a note book/date book to keep track of upcoming dates, dr apt, and other things so you don't miss things
also I would add gen set to truck when you order save big bucks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hard to believe no one mentioned this: if you're in a truck, you need a Motor Carrier's Atlas. It's so much more than maps: low overpass & restricted road locations [check them when going off the 'big road'!], fuel taxes for each state, time zones, emergency contact numbers for each state. You never know when you'll need some of the info, could be on your first trip. [I know EXACTLY where that low bridge is in Durham, lol]
Another one I use every day is the Next Exit. It lists everything [food, hotels, gas stations & other: stores, truck wash, veterinarian, etc] at every exit on every interstate. Plus weigh stations, rest areas and more. Truck friendly places are in red ink, so quick to scan a page for the closest truckstop. I used to get them at the Flying J, but last few years have found them at Camper's World, and they're worth the stop. Happy driving!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also a 1st aid kit to, also start working on your next truck go online and look at the items you think you may want
truck to other drivers to find out how they like what they have on there truck
I started that after I got my first truck and finding out what I wanted
found out the sale person bought my 1 st truck from didn't have time to look at the next big thing coming down road
and didn't want to be call by sales people calling him all time
so I started looking at thing in mag''s than when I thought that what I want on next truck send him package of things he would look into and make a better truck for customers
also I call people and some would ask could you sale this , send me the product and use it if , I like I will sale it
at one time my friends would ask what good deals you have today, as I sold Mary K, gensets proheat , lap tops, pc
mason shoes, new and use trucks, now just sprinter vans

uriykir

Active Expediter
What spare parts do you guys in straight trucks usually carry? I imagine belts, fuses, and fluids. Anything else you guys keep on hand?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Belts lamps fuses idler pullys filters wire crimps and other spare stuff I might need in addition to oil Cooland and a big can of pb blaster