First time posting fears!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When Bob and I decided to make our first post we about made ourselves sick. We had a topic we wanted to reply to but had never ever been anything but lurkers. When we finally decided enough was enough we had to post our opinion. I highly value our daughters opinions so I sent each of them a copy of the post for them to proof read it and make sure we where saying what we wanted to say. They sent back their revisions and with great trepidation we made our first post and the world did not come to an end when I hit the post button! Then the excitement was on would anyone read our post and actually reply? We spent several days worrying over that post and we did get a couple of responses and not ONE of them was out of line. That excitement is still there without all the trepidation of the first post. We where addicted from that point on! So make your first post and join in with the rest of us.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like the way I felt. Does anyone really want to hear ME babble? I would add to this that if you post and no one directly responds to it, don't worry. I've seen forums where every post is responded to with major pats on the back. "Yes, it is a beautiful day! You really hit the nail on the head! Good job!" If you don't see that here, don't worry. Jump in and keep posting. Constructive participants are always welcome.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Linda, good idea to encourage others to post on here. My only other comment is that sometimes you get responses from people who have done this a long time and they aren't as "kind" as they could be. There are always those who feel they have all the answers and try to make others feel dumb. Just ignore those folks and enjoy learning from people who share your same experiences. I have learned so much from other expeditors on this site. Sometimes when you don't know where to go for information, you will be surprised at the wealth of information on these forums.

India Hamner
FedEx CC
D Unit
The reason so many people know the solution is that they created the problem!

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I am with you wondering if anyone would like to hear my opinion. What I do is a lot of copy and pasting; I take my post and write it out in my word processor program and then do a spell and grammar check then copy and paste to the site.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I switched to Firefox and it has a spell checker built in. Although, if I don't get it right after 3 tries I just say the heck with it. It also has a good firewall. When I run my ad-aware before shutting down it usually shows nothing.

catshavestaff

Seasoned Expediter
When I even *think* about replying to a post, the first thing I think is "what opinion? You don't have an opinion, you're so new the shrink wrap is still on!" And I usually talk myself out of it. I have to say, though, with few exceptions, most everyone has been courteous and fairly forthcoming with those nuggets of information every newbie craves. After lurking on several other message boards, I've also noticed how civil and clean this board remains. Some message boards read like a sewer, while others are nothing but dogfight after catfight. My dad was a Marine, and my husband was a squid, as well as a groundpounder, and I've *still* learned a few words I've never heard before. I'd much rather hang out here!:7

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What it felt like to me, the first time I posted, was like being the new kid in school - what if everyone makes fun of me?
But I'd lurked enough to see that that wasn't likely - unless I said one of those incredibly stupid things that I've been known to blurt out on occasion, lol.
What Lawrence has created is a community, with one basic rule: you aren't required to like everyone, but you are required to be civil, nonetheless. With the help of such great wise guys as Dreamer, RichM, DaveKC, TerryandRene, LDB, etc, it is a place where you can learn, and laugh, and think, and question. It's like a school that's actually fun, and cool to attend- and that's something I never thought I'd say!
I've checked out other sites, and think this is the best, because all are welcome to be part of the group, so jump in, and enjoy!:)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Boy Cheri you said it just right! It is a large family and with likes and dislike but we have to have common courtesy to make everything work.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
"so jump in, and enjoy!"

Ker......SPLASH!! :)

I read everything on this site, and sometimes it's a little overwhelming but I keep plugging away. So many different points of view make it interesting, and above all, gives an extreme amount of insight and knowledge. Thanks everyone!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Just reading this thread made my day, and made me smile. After some of the comments and letters I've had the past week or so, it's refreshing to see people "get it" and see what we're trying to accomplish. Sure, some people will disagree with everything, but we try to keep a 'user friendly' forum.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, and to the lurkers, please jump in!

We try to have a forum for everyone, so if one area doesn't fit, try another!

Thanks folks, and thanks to our lady moderators for doing a great job with this forum!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"You cannot tailor make the situations in life, but you can tailor make the attitudes to fit those situations before they arise"

Zig Ziglar

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
They do a great job in this forum! I don't really consider it a Woman's View, as I picture "The View". It's more of an "Expediter's Life" forum.

I can't remember the first time I posted. I wasn't a lurker, and dove right in; but can't remember what the topic was. Lawrence... see if you can look that up for me, ol chap. ;)

This place is basically my home away from home. My best friends (besides my wife) I met on this site. Expediting is my job, and to a certain extent, my life. And Lawrence has done a great service to everyone who has benefitted from EO, whether lurking or participating.

As far as some of us not being kind... I'd say our words may be blunt, but chances are they tell of a lesson already learned from experience. We just hope they result in our mistakes not being repeated by someone else, if we can help it. Try to view it as such.

How did I get off topic? :7

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Tennesseahawk

I started thinking about our good friends and you are right we have met them through the forums or at the Expo! We have met a few at truck stops but the ones we really stay in contact with are through this site. Expediting is our life and affects everything we do everyday of the year. What is great about this site is everyone you communicate with understands or has been there with what you are going through.

This is another reason why the forums are moderated as most of us sooner are later will meet each other.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hawk, if this is the View, could you please indentify Rosie, Barbara, and the Donald for us? My hair is real, so I don't fit the profile for the Donald.