Finally a judge with common sense..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is "because you can" sufficient reason for asshattery? I would argue that doing something inconsiderate just because you can is a major, perhaps the prime, indicator of that very thing.

That's a very interesting comment from someone with their settings set to a black background, and then publicly complains when someone posts with blue text.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Is "because you can" sufficient reason for asshattery? I would argue that doing something inconsiderate just because you can is a major, perhaps the prime, indicator of that very thing.
Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement (click for full-size):

Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If one wants to debate defining "life" then to be complete one must argue there is no life until the point of death because until then it's an incomplete partial life.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
That's a very interesting comment from someone with their settings set to a black background, and then publicly complains when someone posts with blue text.

Ah, a cross-thread attack! I always enjoy those. Enjoyed leveling them in the past, until I was told they were verboten. Let's see...who admonished me for that?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If one wants to debate defining "life" then to be complete one must argue there is no life until the point of death because until then it's an incomplete partial life.
No, one is not really required to do that ... unless they voluntarily constrain themselves solely to the single definition of the word "life" as you use it in the context above ...

Your premise itself is rather odd ... since it appears to involve a misapplication of a definition ... and I suspect it has been carefully crafted to serve an agenda of some sort ...

Individual words in the English language often have multiple, but somewhat varying, meanings ... which are often similar or related, but not identical ...

Using your premise above as an example - here are two separate meanings of the word "life" (from some 20+ individual meanings), taken from the link below:

Life - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition:

1a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body

5a : the period from birth to death

Clearly, these two things are not the same ... not identical.

You're trying to use a definition more akin to 5a (leaving aside that they mention "birth" for a second - feel free to substitute "beginning of existence" in lieu of birth instead if you care to), where in reality, definition 1a is more relevant - because the definition we must initially look for necessarily seeks to define the quality of life itself (as opposed to the quality or qualities that define death), rather the time period of it.

IOW: defining the quality of life specifically is of primary importance because that act itself opens the door to discerning the time period of life ...

Nevertheless, it might be instructive to look at the change in condition which constitutes the occurrence of death and which results in the ending of the life of a human being - in order to lend some insight into when the life of a human being might start.

In the medical and legal community the permanent and irreversible cessation of brainwave activity and function is considered to be the death of the organism (ie. a human being):

According to the American Medical Association and the American Bar Association, death is legally defined as the "irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem."

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Neocon Sarah Palin will never be my favorite politician, but at least she has some values.
What you essentially mean to say is:

"Neocon Sarah Palin will never be my favorite politician, but at least she has some values ... that I agree with ..."

I wouldn't (or shouldn't, at any rate) presume to say that simply because I disagree with someone's values that this means they have none ;)

In the particular matter that you refer to (Terri Schiavo) I would probably find myself on the same side as Ms. Palin ...

I think Michael Schiavo was a liar and ruthless psychopath who put Terri into the condition she wound up in ... and having escaped being held to account for that, was simply looking to collect on a big pay day and avoid his duties as a husband ...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Values...LOL she marched that down syndrome son of hers out in the middle of that election asap..haven't seen him since.. ..values...lol ..that woman is evil!!

I don't think she's evil, but her values sure don't reflect mine.
PS I notice in the comments following the article, it takes exactly 3 comments for her fans to begin namecalling when someone disagrees with them.
Definitely not my values at all.