Finally a judge with common sense..

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
This pill stops that from happening....if you know anything about the pill... and don't refer to me as a woman either ..
Regardless.. this pill is needed badly..
The pill can prevent that. That's one of the ways it works. But not always. Sometimes it prevents a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus, which would be murder.

I called you Mrs. Pelosi because of your ridiculous "Are you serious?" line.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Unquestionably not, Mrs. Pelosi. Life begins at the nanosecond of conception.
And conception is the very first division of the cells. Life does not begin, by any criteria you wish to apply, until the single-cell has divided. Until that point the egg is benign and the only life in there is the spermatozoa. The sperm fertilizes the egg to set the conditions for life to begin, but it doesn't begin until that first division. Many fertilized eggs never divide.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a question. If the egg is fertilized and it does become implanted...but the pill has also been taken. Is there no chance of birth defects or other complications to the fetus because of the pill being in the system?
No, because the pill is a progestin hormone (synthetic progesterone) that is already present in the body. Taking the pill simply elevates the levels of progesterone for a short period of time (back to normal levels, actually). The levels of progesterone in the body rises and falls regularly (levels rise when ovulation doesn't produce a fertilized egg, and falls just before ovulation), but taking the pill allows one to keep it high to prevent conception. When the levels of progesterone naturally fall just before ovulation, the uterine wall lining is altered to allow a fertilized egg to implant itself in the wall, and raising the levels of progesterone reverse the uterine lining back to a normal, pre-ovulation state.

The notion that using progesterone to prevent a fertilized egg from implanting itself into the uterus is murder is patently ridiculous. Especially since it happens naturally more often than not.

I would hope that the FDA has done a lot of research on this....have they?
You have more confidence in the FDA than I do, apparently, but in any case, the FDA and every other medical agency around the world has studied the Morning After Pill (more commonly known as Plan B) quite extensively, since progestin is the same hormone in birth control pills. There has never been any evidence that The Pill causes birth defects, even when taken accidentally during pregnancy.

Incidentally, people should not confuse the Morning After Pill (Plan B) with the RU-486 pill. RU-486 is a straight up abortion pill. It is a steroid, mifepristone, which is a powerful progesterone receptor antagonist, and will act as an abortificant in the first months of pregnancy, as progesterone antagonists prevent the structural reconfiguration, thereby stopping all cell division within the egg. It is here, with RU-486, rather than on the Morning After Pill, where those who like to bandy about the term "murder" should focus their emotional intelligence.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
However, life doesn't begin at implantation.
That's right - in fact, "life" doesn't begin at all - it continues ... eventually in a new, unique form ...

If a spermatazoa breaks the plane, so to speak, the fertilized egg, yet unimplanted, had a right to life the equal of yours.
While you might hold that as a religious or philosophical view - which is perfectly fine of course - it wasn't anything that the Founding Fathers addressed as far as I know ...

It was addressed by the predecessor to the Christian faith ... Judaism ... but the view there doesn't seem to support your position IIRC ...

In the Declaration, the Founders spoke of the rights of men ... commonly understood to be mankind generally ...

A fertilized egg is not a man ... but only a potential man ...

And a fertilized egg is not capable of even sustaining itself without a host ...

To say that a zygote (a cell) is the same thing as a born human being is incorrect ... they are clearly not the same ... even if the former has the potential to eventually become the latter ...

So preventing its implantation is murder, and anyone who causes that to happen is a murderer.
Well, unfortunately at this point, the issue/question that you are trying to address is one of a ethical nature - and is one which requires knowledge of certain things which are outside of our present scientific knowledge ... meaning that it exists largely in the area of opinion, superstition, and religious belief.

And of course such areas - being based on faith, and not objective fact - are prone to wide differences of opinion.

IOW: you can say it ... but that don't necessarily make it so ...

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The notion that using progesterone to prevent a fertilized egg from implanting itself into the uterus is murder is patently ridiculous. Especially since it happens naturally more often than not.
If you die in your sleep without action from others, that's a natural death. If someone takes action, like injecting you with something that interferes with your body processes causing death, that's murder.
Incidentally, people should not confuse the Morning After Pill (Plan B) with the RU-486 pill. RU-486 is a straight up abortion pill. It is a steroid, mifepristone, which is a powerful progesterone receptor antagonist, and will act as an abortificant in the first months of pregnancy, as progesterone antagonists prevent the structural reconfiguration, thereby stopping all cell division within the egg. It is here, with RU-486, rather than on the Morning After Pill, where those who like to bandy about the term "murder" should focus their emotional intelligence.
Without doubt, RU-486 is murder. When Plan B causes a fertilized egg to fail to implant and be expelled, that's also murder.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
That's right - in fact, "life" doesn't begin at all - it continues ... eventually in a new, unique form ...
Obviously false, considering that a new soul that didn't exist before now exists.

While you might hold that as a religious or philosophical view - which is perfectly fine of course - it wasn't anything that the Founding Fathers addressed as far as I know ...

It was addressed by the predecessor to the Christian faith ... Judaism ... but the view there doesn't seem to support your position IIRC ...
That's not important. There are many beliefs of Judaism that are false. There are perceived doctrines of Christianity that are false.
A fertilized egg is not a man ... but only a potential man ...
It's not a man, no. It's mankind.
And a fertilized egg is not capable of even sustaining itself without a host ...
Irrelevant.
To say that a zygote (a cell) is the same thing as a born human being is incorrect ... they are clearly not the same ... even if the former has the potential to eventually become the latter ...
You're right. They're not the same. Unborn isn't the same as born, quite obviously. But they're equivalent in status. A child isn't the same a an adult; a man isn't the same as a woman. They're equivalent though, in that they're mankind, human beings.
IOW: you can say it ... but that don't necessarily make it so ...
Right. It being so is what makes it so, and it being so is why I say it.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
If you die in your sleep without action from others, that's a natural death. If someone takes action, like injecting you with something that interferes with your body processes causing death, that's murder.
Without doubt, RU-486 is murder. When Plan B causes a fertilized egg to fail to implant and be expelled, that's also murder.

Call what ever you want to fit your agenda...I call it a good alternative to a woman...unlike you not everybody is perfect..I am TOTALLY 100% with this ..INSTEAD of ANOTHER unwanted child being brought into this world...WE HAVE ENOUGH!!! So Mr. Amonger ...if you will please gladly fwd your home address so WE can start sending YOU the children that will be born ..because they WILL come..they will need love...hugs...food...shoes... how many bedrooms you say you have?? Don't throw out the " I have raised my kids..I am not raising someone else's kids" BS ... ...because you have said this simple pill is murder..and not to be used.. . LOOK..people WILL HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX..so that WILL produce children if not dealt with..here you go...put your $$ with your mouth is ...with out this pill and regular LEGAL abortions the kids are on there way...so stand up for what you believe in..please ....also you might need a bigger vehicle too to get all these kids around...I have a swingset I'll make you a heck of a deal on ...they need somewhere to play..you have a big yard also I hope...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
O

Call what ever you want to fit your agenda...I call it a good alternative to a woman...unlike you not everybody is perfect..I am TOTALLY 100% with this ..INSTEAD of ANOTHER unwanted child being brought into this world...WE HAVE ENOUGH!!! So Mr. Amonger ...if you will please gladly fwd your home address so WE can start sending YOU the children that will be born ..because they WILL come..they will need love...hugs...food...shoes... how many bedrooms you say you have?? Don't throw out the " I have raised my kids..I am not raising someone else's kids" BS ... ...because you have said this simple pill is murder..and not to be used.. . LOOK..people WILL HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX..so that WILL produce children if not dealt with..here you go...put your $$ with your mouth is ...with out this pill and regular LEGAL abortions the kids are on there way...so stand up for what you believe in..please ....also you might need a bigger vehicle too to get all these kids around...I have a swingset I'll make you a heck of a deal on ...they need somewhere to play..you have a big yard also I hope...

Watch an episode of Maury Povich..that's America... like it or not..that is enough for me to start handing these plan B pills out like Tic Tacs....

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you die in your sleep without action from others, that's a natural death.
In many, maybe even most cases, you might be right. But I can think of several scenarios where that would not be the case at all. You're trying to create a context of a false dichotomy where it's either/or, one or the other, where there can only be one of two causes of death. Reality says otherwise.

If someone takes action, like injecting you with something that interferes with your body processes causing death, that's murder.
In some cases, yeah, sure, but in many cases, no. You can't simply redefine "murder" to make it mean whatever you want it to mean, to make it fit with your beliefs or agenda, any more than you can redefine other terms for the same purposes. People who do that are quite literally disturbing the condition, function and actions of the meanings of words. The term for disturbing the condition of, the function of, or the actions of something is.... deranged.

It doesn't get any less ridiculous when you repeat it.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
..INSTEAD of ANOTHER unwanted child being brought into this world...WE HAVE ENOUGH!!! So Mr. Amonger ...if you will please gladly fwd your home address so WE can start sending YOU the children that will be born ..because they WILL come..they will need love...hugs...food...shoes... how many bedrooms you say you have??
This again? This is about the 50th time you're raised this bogus argument. In Chicago, there were about 532 murders last year. That I oppose them doesn't mean that I should open my home to 532 people, or tell the murderer, "I'm not going to take in your victim, so go ahead and kill him."
LOOK..people WILL HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX..so that WILL produce children if not dealt with..here you go...put your $$ with your mouth is ...with out this pill and regular LEGAL abortions the kids are on there way...so stand up for what you believe in.
No, it's those who are conceiving the children who must support them. Funny thing, scientists know what causes pregnancy now, and when couple have sex, they're taking a chance on conceiving a child. Those are the consequences, for good or bad, of the sex act. If you or some other they do or don't want to be involved in a pregnancy, you know what to do or not do. Once the egg is fertilized, it has been done. To terminate any fertilized egg is no different than murdering your 5-year-old child because you're tired of being a parent.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
OP
This again? This is about the 50th time you're raised this bogus argument. In Chicago, there were about 532 murders last year. That I oppose them doesn't mean that I should open my home to 532 people, or tell the murderer, "I'm not going to take in you're victim, so go ahead and kill him."

LOOK..people WILL HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX..so that WILL produce children if not dealt with..here you go...put your $$ with your mouth is ...with out this pill and regular LEGAL abortions the kids are on there way...so stand up for what you believe in.
No, it's those who are conceiving the children who must support them. Funny thing, scientists know what causes pregnancy now, and when couple have sex, they're taking a chance on conceiving a child. Those are the consequences, for good or bad, of the sex act. If you or some other they do or don't want to be involved in a pregnancy, you know what to do or not do. Once the egg is fertilized, it has been done. To terminate any fertilized egg is no different than murdering your 5-year-old child because you're tired of being a parent.[/QUOTE]

Big difference...1 is legal...1 is not...you don't want to use the pill don't...don't want abortion don't...but DO NOT push your religious/ moral agenda on others...everything we are discussing is 100% legal..
But again have your views..feelings..what ever...these kids are comming..you pro lifers never answer the question ...what to do with a HUGE influx of children if you get your way..where are they going..who is feeding them..you want people to adhere to your beliefs.. but that means zillion more kids ..because people will NOT just stop having sex...so now what never can answer that...that is why I keep asking how many your taking in..BECAUSE its a valid question..NO ABORTIONS = a bunch more hungry kids..so please lay out your plan..I'm interested ..
Funny thing..people who do have these kids refuse to support them..so bow there here ..you opening your wallet..no..but you will stand on your soapbox and yell and tell people what to do with out helping the root of the problem..

If I remember.. the pill we are arguing about stops the egg from being fertilized so your argument on the pill is null and void..
How many are you adopting??

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
The reason why I argue this topic every time....is I am TIRED of people standing on there moral/religious soapbox screaming there views when they want to do 0 to help...fine be against all the abortions you like ..but let's not forgot the other end of there argument is a living breathing child who will need raising..they want to yell and scream but few actually help..so now that you have got on your moral high horse..there are kids..you scream "abortions are murder" OK can call it what you want...so then they come up with a simple pill that stops the whole process from even beginning.. that's a problem...I figured you would be OK with the plan b pill..but no..heck most of you are against condoms..(don't understand that)...but as we argue more and more babies born to horrible situations...not little Susie getting knocked up by the quarterback on prom nite pregnancys .there are some not so nice people spitting kids out left and right..so again hand these pills out like tic tacs I say...;

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Big difference...1 is legal...1 is not...
No, one is just decriminalized. Murder can never be made legal.
you don't want to use the pill don't...don't want abortion don't...but DO NOT push your religious/ moral agenda on others...
You don't see how ridiculous your argument is? What if a hit man says, "You don't approve of murder? Don't commit one. Just leave me alone." Both treat murder as if it's a choice of music, or ice cream. Ridiculous.
everything we are discussing is 100% legal..
The same could have been said for slavery. Was it right? Could you defend it on that basis?
But again have your views..feelings..what ever...these kids are comming..you pro lifers never answer the question ...what to do with a HUGE influx of children if you get your way..where are they going..who is feeding them..you want people to adhere to your beliefs.. but that means zillion more kids ..because people will NOT just stop having sex...so now what never can answer that...that is why I keep asking how many your taking in..BECAUSE its a valid question..NO ABORTIONS = a bunch more hungry kids..so please lay out your plan..I'm interested ..
My plan is to shut off the means of avoiding the consequences of one's procreative actions. Prenatal infantacide had done that, and look where it's gotten us: a hypersexual society in which 1/3 of adults have herpes, babies being murdered by abortionists after botched abortions, babies being murdered or abandoned right after birth by teen mothers, etc.
No, the way to fix this is to see to it that everybody pays for the babies they make. Two people conceived it, two people are liable. Fornication will become less common when people aren't able to murder for their convenience. For those that will continue, there's birth control.
If you can't/won't feed it, don't breed it.
And whether that plan works or not, murder is still murder. Humans aren't deer, the population of which is managed so they don't starve in the wild. THOU SHALT NOT MURDER applies regardless.
If I remember.. the pill we are arguing about stops the egg from being fertilized so your argument on the pill is null and void..
OR, if the egg is already fertilized, it prevents implantation in the uterine wall i.e. murders the baby when the egg is flushed out.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
No, one is just decriminalized. Murder can never be made legal.

You don't see how ridiculous your argument is? What if a hit man says, "You don't approve of murder? Don't commit one. Just leave me alone." Both treat murder as if it's a choice of music, or ice cream. Ridiculous.

The same could have been said for slavery. Was it right? Could you defend it on that basis?

My plan is to shut off the means of avoiding the consequences of one's procreative actions. Prenatal infantacide had done that, and look where it's gotten us: a hypersexual society in which 1/3 of adults have herpes, babies being murdered by abortionists after botched abortions, babies being murdered or abandoned right after birth by teen mothers, etc.
No, the way to fix this is to see to it that everybody pays for the babies they make. Two people conceived it, two people are liable. Fornication will become less common when people aren't able to murder for their convenience. For those that will continue, there's birth control.
If you can't/won't feed it, don't breed it.
And whether that plan works or not, murder is still murder. Humans aren't deer, the population of which is managed so they don't starve in the wild. THOU SHALT NOT MURDER applies regardless.
OR, if the egg is already fertilized, it prevents implantation in the uterine wall i.e. murders the baby when the egg is flushed out.

No abortions are legal..word it as you like ...they are legal..like it or not..
And believe this I agree with you if you breed it you have to feed it.. Problem is there people that still will not..and lots and lots of them unfortunately..

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Obviously false, considering that a new soul that didn't exist before now exists.
Thank you for opening the door ... I will now walk through it.

As a religious person, it is apparently your position that man is composite being - made up of several individual parts, seemingly: 1. a physical body, and 2. a "soul" or "spirit" which apparently is non-physical in nature ...

The difficulty as regards your position is that we, as a species, know much - through observation and science - as objective fact about no. 1 ... but next to nothing about no. 2 ... even to the point that the mere existence of no. 2 is not widely agreed upon or acknowledge by many ... and even among those who do agree on the premise generally, there is widespread disagreement on the specifics ...

Specifically, what is not known (as objective fact) - from a scientific perspective - is whether a new soul/spirit is created ... and if it is created, precisely when that happens.

Until those two issues are specifically sorted out on an objective, factual basis, one doesn't know whether one is dealing with just hamburger (meat) ... or a person ...

As to the aspect of a new soul/spirit being created, there is some testimony in the Bible that those who have existed before, have returned again:

13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. 14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

This would seem to indicate, as a matter of religious dogma, that the human soul/spirit does exist separately - and perhaps prior to the occupation of a body ...

If that is indeed the case, then as the old saw goes: timing is everything ...

That's not important.
Of course it's important - the very foundation of Western civilization and the moral codes which inform our law spring out of that well.

There are many beliefs of Judaism that are false. There are perceived doctrines of Christianity that are false.
As objective fact ... or just according to your own personal belief system as a matter of faith ?

It's not a man, no. It's mankind.
Semantics (man is synonym for mankind) but be that as it may: no ... it's potential mankind ...

Irrelevant.
Actually, I would say that it's highly relevant ...

You're right.
Yes, I know ...

They're not the same. Unborn isn't the same as born, quite obviously. But they're equivalent in status.
Evidently not, at least under the law here in this country ... and that's a holding that has a foundation dating all the way back to the Old Testament.

A child isn't the same a an adult; a man isn't the same as a woman. They're equivalent though, in that they're mankind, human beings.
A cell (human zygote, fertilized egg) is not a human being ... it might eventually become one if given the chance ... but at the point of fertilization it isn't ... at least not as that term is commonly understood by those who are not theocratically inclined ....

Right. It being so is what makes it so, and it being so is why I say it.
Well, that's about as flaccid an argument as I can possibly imagine ...

Taking your argument to the reductio ad absurdum extreme, a man and a women who somehow, by the act of having sex, accidently or unintentionally caused a zygote to abort would be guilty of manslaughter ...

Good luck selling that one ...

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
you scream "abortions are murder" OK can call it what you want...so then they come up with a simple pill that stops the whole process from even beginning.. that's a problem...
Except when it doesn't. As has been pointed out repeatedly, if the egg is already fertilized, it prevents implantation in the uterine wall. Not the same as preventing the process from the beginning.
I figured you would be OK with the plan b pill..but no..heck most of you are against condoms..(don't understand that)...
I don't know those people. That isn't a Christian doctrine. I know Catholics believe that, but if Catholics are Christians, they certainly aren't most of us.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Humans aren't deer, the population of which is managed so they don't starve in the wild.
You might want to exercise some caution in regards to grabbing onto that premise and swinging it around much ... unintended consequences being what they are ...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
No, because the pill is a progestin hormone (synthetic progesterone) that is already present in the body. Taking the pill simply elevates the levels of progesterone for a short period of time (back to normal levels, actually). The levels of progesterone in the body rises and falls regularly (levels rise when ovulation doesn't produce a fertilized egg, and falls just before ovulation), but taking the pill allows one to keep it high to prevent conception. When the levels of progesterone naturally fall just before ovulation, the uterine wall lining is altered to allow a fertilized egg to implant itself in the wall, and raising the levels of progesterone reverse the uterine lining back to a normal, pre-ovulation state.

You have more confidence in the FDA than I do, apparently, but in any case, the FDA and every other medical agency around the world has studied the Morning After Pill (more commonly known as Plan B) quite extensively, since progestin is the same hormone in birth control pills. There has never been any evidence that The Pill causes birth defects, even when taken accidentally during pregnancy.

Thanks for that explanation Turtle...seems reasonable enough to me.

BTW: Amonger, I quoted ALL of his reply because... I CAN :D :thumbup:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for that explanation Turtle...seems reasonable enough to me.

BTW: Amonger, I quoted ALL of his reply because... I CAN :D :thumbup:
Is "because you can" sufficient reason for asshattery? I would argue that doing something inconsiderate just because you can is a major, perhaps the prime, indicator of that very thing.