Fedx considering option of a flat rate for strt and tt

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM, it doesn't matter, see FedEx actually still calls and sends out offers if a driver is in the sleeper or not.

There was no such thing as a "bed card" and personal time was based on the person you talked to when I was there, it was either in or out of service and if you were checked into an express center. Dwell time was related to who was in the express center and who was needed to be somewhere else - W/G trucks get moved if needed above others, some fleet owners get offers and so on.

They are in control, maybe some don't get that. They can and will dispatch over you, exclude you and you can't do a thing about it. As Cheri pointed out they look for trucks for their loads.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it is possible to deliver first and have someone jump you by getting to the express center before you. No dwell time while driving. You are supposed to be parked somewhere before checking in. If you leave that express center or go OOS you lose all dwell time. You can move around the express center as long as you don't check out. But you have to check in so they know where you are and how far from a potential load.

That's odd considering you have to pay for the privilege of renting satellite equipment for the truck which you would hope would enable them to see exactly where you are. Seems they are still relying on the one-to-one communication method of confirming your whereabouts, and based on other threads, it seems that even then, they still may get it wrong and have you posted somewhere else, nowhere near where you really are.
Sounds to me like one of those interim stages like when someone gets their first computer, and they're using it, but they're duplicating the work by continuing to do the manual system too, because they're afraid to let go for fear that the electronic stuff doesn't really make the cut for what they want it to do. Except that it's been years since the phone booth days disappeared.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Jjoerger,

In a way, there are a few things that you can do with the Clink system and express centers. BUT I will get yelled at for telling these secrets.

As Leo may have mentioned, the express center concept is outdated, and after listening to some of the new stuff going on, I have to agree with him on that one.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
since E-1 doesn't have boards or centers...a dispatcher will say for example do a 50 mile radius search from load origin, this will bring up all available units, then they will look at load requirements, and then after all that, dwell time....

golftruck

Seasoned Expediter
The rate is closer to $1.17/all miles plus fuel surcharge. There is no "writing on the wall" This is a special effort on FECC's part to cover certain customers that regularly ship in great volume and are discounted customers. These loads can often be planned out days and even weeks in advance. The trucks will run these loads only, 99% of the time. Many are very short runs in the 80 to 200 mile range that FECC has a lot of trouble getting covered and they don't fit the traditional expedite model.

Deville

Not a Member
The rate is closer to $1.17/all miles plus fuel surcharge. There is no "writing on the wall" This is a special effort on FECC's part to cover certain customers that regularly ship in great volume and are discounted customers. These loads can often be planned out days and even weeks in advance. The trucks will run these loads only, 99% of the time. Many are very short runs in the 80 to 200 mile range that FECC has a lot of trouble getting covered and they don't fit the traditional expedite model.

I've seen those 80 to 100 mile loads come in as little as $116, no higher than $175. When ever I get offered those I turn them down. Dispatchers who have no knowledge of trucking call & ask why you refused it, well the pay is too low. Than the reply is it pays x amount per mile. To which I always tell them (for YEARS now) short runs under a certain amount of miles can not be judged on a pay per mile basis. They are money losers.

This really applies to anything under 300 miles IMO, especially if there is significant dead head. I've seen lots of loads less than 300 total miles come in well under $300 to a few bucks above $300.

FDCC just does not understand that it's not just driving from point A to B, it's tolls, fuel & the most important element time. Our time is Money.

I had FDCC tell me that salesmen set the prices to stay competive. My response, there is a diffrence in being pricing competive & cuting your nose off to spite your face. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. The pricing is way out of line for 90% of the loads that I see. Not to mention the loads that I do on a regular basis have seen as much as a 40% rate cut the past year. I'm not talking fuel surcharge either.

Does anyone here who used to run NYC or still does remember when we used to get the $50 geographical fee for going into NYC? I don't see that often anymore.

I've had loads pick up in long Island going back to NJ & i have at least $40 in tolls. So, between the tolls, the fuel & my time how am I making money on a $116 to $175 dollar load driving a D unit. I might as well get a job delivering papers, I would net more & my bike doesn't cost me money in fuel.

Last edited:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Maybe Fedx should consider hiring reigonal drivers ,or dedicated from hard to cover areas,such as Ny,Jersy etc.. They could do 2-3 runs a day or more.Sleep at home every nite while making a decent living.I don't like it when dispatch calls you after you turn down these small loads 4,5,6 times,asking why you wont take this run.Why would any team take a run under 650 miles,these are solo runs.I will try to help out the company by taking a small run,if it picks up in the morning ,and delivers by noon.This has worked out well for them and us.I can usually still get a good run later in the day.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It has been tried before. Diane and I once saw a truck numbed DS-xxxx. Not D-xxxx or DR-xxxx, but DS. We asked the driver what DS meant and were told it was a designation for a regional truck, in her case serving the Chicago area. We asked her how that was working out and she said there was no difference. She was seeing the same loads to everywhere she always had and saw no useful benefit in trying to specialize in the Chicago area.

We were once surprised to see a D-unit day cab truck in New Jersey. We were driving down the turnpike when the driver pulled along side to give us a friendly wave. He then followed us into a service plaza and approached us for directions. He was concerned that other contractors would hate him because he was doing two or three loads a day in and around New York City. We explained that he was a hero, not a villain.

Not from a driver but from someone else, I once heard of an attempt to recruit regional trucks to serve a particular shipper in Atlanta. If that worked out, I have heard nothing more of it.

There are drivers out there who will say yes to a regional opportunity. The problem is, I believe, is the dispatch system. It is not set up to do directional or regional loads for specific trucks. If regional services are to be effectively offered and regional trucks are desired, a dispatch system and perhaps a dedicated dispatch team to support it must be developed.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We just recently saw a DSxxxx sprinter in California. That was 3 or 4 months ago. We never did see the driver to talk with them. There is at least on local DRxxxx unit that I know of. He lives near Harrisburg, PA. He works just in that area, NYC, etc. Says he does quite well too. He runs solo and has not reason to become a team or go OTR. He likes being home most every night.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
.Why would any team take a run under 650 miles,these are solo runs.

Diane and I do not think in terms of solo vs. team runs. To us, there is no such thing as a team run, or a solo run for that matter. Run offers are evaluated on their financial merits, period.

That approach has led us to take many short runs at very good pay and also to turn down short runs that paid OK per mile but tied up the truck too long to make it worth the accept.

Expediting is not about the miles you drive, at least not with the percentage pay and dispatch system our carrier has. It's about the money you can make with your truck.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe Fedx should consider hiring reigonal drivers ,or dedicated from hard to cover areas,such as Ny,Jersy etc.. They could do 2-3 runs a day or more.Sleep at home every nite while making a decent living.I don't like it when dispatch calls you after you turn down these small loads 4,5,6 times,asking why you wont take this run.Why would any team take a run under 650 miles,these are solo runs.I will try to help out the company by taking a small run,if it picks up in the morning ,and delivers by noon.This has worked out well for them and us.I can usually still get a good run later in the day.

Why would a team take a load under 650? How about $450 for two blocks? Or, maybe the one that went 3 miles and paid over $2000? OR.....................

It is NOT the miles. It is the overall pay package. Time vs. miles, vs. pay and including the "hassle factor". Everything comes into play when accepting a run.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
sounds like the Feds should have a rule like Panther...under 67% acceptance and to the bottom of the load board if others are higher...:confused:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
sounds like the Feds should have a rule like Panther...under 67% acceptance and to the bottom of the load board if others are higher...:confused:

Not until they change how they dispatch. I cannot afford those acceptance levels. Under the old system I was around 75-80% I shudder to think how low it is now. I just get far too many really "stupid" offers these days that I am just not going to take.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not until they change how they dispatch. I cannot afford those acceptance levels. Under the old system I was around 75-80% I shudder to think how low it is now. I just get far too many really "stupid" offers these days that I am just not going to take.

It appears by the tone of some posts..that "stupid" is the prevalent way to dispatch...:eek:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It does seem that way sometimes. I would think that they may wish to rethink this system somewhat. It is causing problems.

From their point of view, it is problematic only if they care how contractors feel. If it's about the next quarter's numbers, feelings don't count for much.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
**cough**

This has been going on since 2005.

They have had regional trucks that just do the less than 150 mile radius stuff and pay them by the job. Some of them can do more than one load a day and some customer's, LG benefit form this a lot. If anyone did a load out of Romeoville, they will notice that there were CC day cab trucks there, the same for Atlanta and the other location that slips my mind.

BUT with that said, it seems that there could be a push with the normal CC to flat rate the work, which may include W/G or spin it to supply chain so there is no complaining. I think it would be a very smart move. :p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From their point of view, it is problematic only if they care how contractors feel. If it's about the next quarter's numbers, feelings don't count for much.

You are right Phil. I meant from OUR point of view, not theirs. It is clear that our feelings or issues on this matter are not being looked at in any real way. We can all be replaced.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
This may not be the place for this, but my 3 most knowledgeable posters are here so...

I was just told that when you are "at home: you are not allowed to get offers on the clink - only the telephone. This is a first! So I explained my cell does not get service where I live - true - when you live in the stickers in Oregon! She said there is no way to authorize the clink to receive. hmmmm.

Last week, before our REALLY good load to Buffalo cancelled on the way to pickup dispatch was happy to put the clink on....

So I changed it to my home phone......Duh.

Oh, Phil, I am still waiting for that Alaska load. LOL