Fedx considering option of a flat rate for strt and tt

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I was on for almost a year pulling mostly Pfizer loads.Believe me,there wasn't anything cheap about those loads.Sure the security thing was a pain,but was not a problem with the revenue we were taking in.
After FDCC lost Pfizer,and not just to E1,the easy money from the medicine loads was really missed.
I'm on a basically flat rate deal now,my only discounts come when they change my FSC,or I pull a C or D load,doing it at their rates.
After finding out about FDCC's new contracts,I'm really glad I hit that famous deer that cost me my contract

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Flat rates and fixed fuel surcharges typify Marxist Theory. For example, for as long as a corporation intends to stay in business they must exploit their workers to the legal limit. Whether or not wracked by guilt the corporation must act as a ruthless exploiter. Similarly the worker must take the best job on offer; there is simply no other sane option. But by doing this they reinforce the very structures that oppress them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
David,
You ok or did you take an Obama pill?

Flat rates have been around long before Marx and Engles put their theories on paper.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
....at E-1, but we're making at least as much now as we ever did at FedEx doing White Glove - without departure calls, "critical departure" messages, running-late inquiries, electronic logging, or even - GASP! - "bedcards" (macro 8). E-1 doesn't even HAVE a Qualcomm macro to tell them where we are; if they want to know, they "ping" the QC and don't bother us.

I'm curious about E-1 not using bed cards (macro 08 at FedEx). FedEx Custom Critical contractors start building dwell time at an express center when we check in using macro 08. If bed cards are not used, what starts the E-1 dwell time clock? Or is the system so different that dwell time is not a consideration?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm curious about E-1 not using bed cards (macro 08 at FedEx). FedEx Custom Critical contractors start building dwell time at an express center when we check in using macro 08. If bed cards are not used, what starts the E-1 dwell time clock? Or is the system so different that dwell time is not a consideration?

Dwell time starts when you POD out or go back into service...and goes with you...you get to bump or get bumped...one can see the dwell time on Fleetvision..I am at 28 hours presently...

There is no macro available to see this...

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Dwell time starts when you POD out...and goes with you...you get to bump or get bumped...one can see the dwell time on Fleetvision..I am at 28 hours presently...

Interesting! You build dwell time based on the actual time you have been without freight, instead building it in a system where you might have to drive a half day just to check into an express center to start build dwell time.

Makes me wonder, could our carrier could survive if bed cards were eliminated, or would the world as they know it come to an end?

Doing without bed cards might help lighten the load at dispatch since it would mean processing that many fewer incoming messages.

It might help contractors feel a little more fairly treated since everyone's dwell time clock would start in the same way every time, regardless of how far a delivery is from a given express center.

I can see using 08s for certain kinds of loads where the customers want and need them to be used. But otherwise, why have them at all?

For expediter wannabees, dwell time is the amount of time you spend waiting for your next load. It is important because available trucks will be dispatched on the next load ahead or behind you depending on which truck has the most dwell time (all other things being equal).

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Interesting! You build dwell time based on the actual time you have been without freight, instead building it in a system where you might have to drive a half day just to check into an express center to start build dwell time.

Makes me wonder, could our carrier could survive if bed cards were eliminated, or would the world as they know it come to an end?

Doing without bed cards might help lighten the load at dispatch since it would mean processing that many fewer incoming messages.

It might help contractors feel a little more fairly treated since everyone's dwell time clock would start in the same way every time, regardless of how far a delivery is from a given express center.

I can see using 08s for certain kinds of loads where the customers want and need them to be used. But otherwise, why have them at all?

For expediter wannabees, dwell time is the amount of time you spend waiting for your next load. It is important because available trucks will be dispatched on the next load ahead or behind you depending on which truck has the most dwell time (all other things being equal).

You lose that drive time and no accumulation of dwell time? So someone could POD out AFTER you, make it to an express center first and technically be ahead of you in dwell time..? Instead of "Time from Last Load"

ATeam

Retired Expediter
...at E-1, but we're making at least as much now as we ever did at FedEx doing White Glove - without departure calls, "critical departure" messages, running-late inquiries, electronic logging, or even - GASP! - "bedcards" (macro 8).

I'm also curious about critical check out time messages ("critical departure"). At E-1, how is it even possible to deliver your freight safely and on time without being told ahead of time by a computer that you must get moving if you are going to get to your delivery on time?

My goodness...are your drivers that good that they can actually think about a map, odometer and clock at the same time and calculate themselves how much time they need to get to a delivery? Surely your service failures are voluminous compared to FedEx where contractors have the benefit of state-of-the-art, computer generated critical check out time messages!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Expediter 'wannabees' might keep in mind that the system used by FedEx [and other larger carriers] is not needed with smaller carriers, who find loads for their trucks, instead of vice versa.
Dwell time isn't an issue, when you're usually the only truck in the area.:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm also curious about critical check out time messages ("critical departure"). At E-1, how is it even possible to deliver your freight safely and on time without being told ahead of time by a computer that you must get moving if you are going to get to your delivery on time?

My goodness...are your drivers that good that they can actually think about a map, odometer and clock at the same time and calculate themselves how much time they need to get to a delivery? Surely your service failures are voluminous compared to FedEx where contractors have the benefit of state-of-the-art, computer generated critical check out time messages!

Phil, Phil, Phil....one needs a computer for such mundane tasks?

You are given a P.U. time and a Protect Delivery time and you have the paid miles....

500 mile load

PU time 15:00 or 3pm
protect time 01:00..or 10 hrs later....

what is with this "Critical Check out Time"?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You lose that drive time and no accumulation of dwell time? So someone could POD out AFTER you, make it to an express center first and technically be ahead of you in dwell time..? Instead of "Time from Last Load"

There is no "time from last load." There is dwell time. Examples:

You deliver in Chicago, send in your POD (proof of delivery, the name of the person who signed for the freight), and check in by sending in an 08. The computer would automatically assign you to the nearest express center which is Elk Grove Village.

You deliver in Des Moines but think it better to deadhead on your own dime to Chicago to wait for freight there. You send in your POD. If you send in an 08, you will be assigned to the Des Moines express center. If you then drive to Chicago, you are supposed to check out of Des Moines and check into Chicago when you get there (actually within 25 miles or 50 miles for WG trucks). You would do that by sending in an 08 upon arrival, which would start your dwell time clock at the Elk Grove Village express center.

If you deliver in Chicago and go immediately to sleep but forget to send in an 08, dwell time will not start building for you until you later send it in.

You are also dependent on dispatch to process your 08 messages, which lately seems to take longer and longer. No processing, no dwell time until it is done.

Frankly, I like E-1's concept of "time from last load" better. And I think our carrier might too, if they thought it through. Some of the things in our dispatch system are holdovers from the good old days when phone booths were also important.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army

Yes, it is possible to deliver first and have someone jump you by getting to the express center before you. No dwell time while driving. You are supposed to be parked somewhere before checking in. If you leave that express center or go OOS you lose all dwell time. You can move around the express center as long as you don't check out. But you have to check in so they know where you are and how far from a potential load.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no "time from last load." There is dwell time. Examples:

You deliver in Chicago, send in your POD (proof of delivery, the name of the person who signed for the freight), and check in by sending in an 08. The computer would automatically assign you to the nearest express center which is Elk Grove Village.

You deliver in Des Moines but think it better to deadhead on your own dime to Chicago to wait for freight there. You send in your POD. If you send in an 08, you will be assigned to the Des Moines express center. If you then drive to Chicago, you are supposed to check out of Des Moines and check into Chicago when you get there. You would do that by sending in an 08, which would start your dwell time clock at the Elk Grove Village express center.

If you deliver in Chicago and go immediately to sleep but forget to send in an 08, dwell time will not start building for you until you later send it in.

You are also dependent on dispatch to process your 08 messages, which lately seems to take longer and longer. No processing, no dwell time until it is done.

Frankly, I like E-1's concept of "time from last load" better. And I think our carrier might too, if they thought it through.

Sounds like an unnecessary step to me...time from Last Load should suffice no matter where you are...your POD is the starting point.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I forgot to mention, we are allowed 2 hours OOS each 24 hour period without losing dwell time to take care of personal business. Showers, laundry, etc.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
500 mile load
PU time 15:00 or 3pm
protect time 01:00..or 10 hrs later....

what is with this "Critical Check out Time"?

Wait! wait! I know this one!

It depends on what state you are in because state-to-state, the legally mandated bar closing times differ. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Obviously the Feds don't think you are capable of thought....

I don't think they care, just so long as it's only what they think that counts.
Having a sense of humour [OVM spelling] is essential for processing the lunacy, and ATeam is doing fine at that.:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think they care, just so long as it's only what they think that counts.
Having a sense of humour [OVM spelling] is essential for processing the lunacy, and ATeam is doing fine at that.:)

It must have pained you to put that U in there...*LOL*

ryansexpress

Seasoned Expediter
There are some companies that tell you where your load is to be picked up, the time you need to be there and where you're
going. All on the phone without all the needless back and forth on the CLink. You take care of the rest, such as figuring out
which way you want to go, directions to delivery, making your own appt or having company make it if delivery requires dispatch to do that. ( they actually think you have a brain.. but don't tell anyone..lol )
Great thread !