FedEx Custom Critical ???? Are they what they say they are??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
There are two side to every story...

We have never been told our lease would be pulled if we did not accept a load. We have never been FORCED to take a load we turned down.

We have been asked why we have turned down a load, sometimes I reply sometimes I do not.

Why would I lie Linda. I have nothing to gain from it. FedEx is FedEx, and what Davekc is talking about is when FedEx bought Roberts Express. If your truck wasn't white and you refused to paint the box white your lease was pulled. Henry Church was forced to paint the box on his brand new truck or have his lease pulled.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
First off Bruno why in the world did you think I was singling you out? There are always two sides to every story and two views. Neither side is a liar they both have their own views.

My point is what YEAR is DaveKC talking about it? Is this new news or something I do not know about on the first hand experience?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In our case, it was as Dave indicated, it was shortly after Fedex made the purchase of Roberts. We of course were one of several. They gave thirty days and I said they wouldn't have to wait that long. I don't do well with someone micro-managing what I am doing.
Might have considered staying if I could have went to an all purple truck.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
There are two side to every story...

We have never been told our lease would be pulled if we did not accept a load. We have never been FORCED to take a load we turned down.

We have been asked why we have turned down a load, sometimes I reply sometimes I do not.

Durring that big winter storm in DC when the local officals were saying on the news to "not be on the roads unless it was an emergency..." we were refusing a repeated offer to accept a load from Indiana to DC. We were told that if we refuse the load because we would not go there, we must take our truck OOS since we were not willing to take that load. I reminded him that there was several trucks ahead of us and closer to the pick up and if they start taking or demanding trucks go OOS who is going to run loads in the rest of the country? I recognize it for what it was. A frustrated dispatcher trying to get the load off his board in defiance of safety, and the DC officials. This was an individual acting outside the policies of FEDEX. We still turned the load down, imformed our CC what transpired, and shortly after got a nice load to Texas. Follow the Contractors helper guide on the proceedure of escalating issues. Be proffessional and state facts not feelings. It Works. As to others never being "tested"...the dispatcher(s) probably know better.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
In our case, it was as Dave indicated, it was shortly after Fedex made the purchase of Roberts. We of course were one of several. They gave thirty days and I said they wouldn't have to wait that long. I don't do well with someone micro-managing what I am doing.
Might have considered staying if I could have went to an all purple truck.

What year did this happen that you are still irritated about?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
First off Bruno why in the world did you think I was singling you out? There are always two sides to every story and two views. Neither side is a liar they both have their own views.

My point is what YEAR is DaveKC talking about it? Is this new news or something I do not know about on the first hand experience?

Because you posted that there is two sides two a story after I posted what I said. Linda you know I was a FedEx supporter and defended many things in regards to FedEx over the years. Just be glad your not in White Glove. The agents in White Glove sometimes was very rude. The best agents at FedEx was Lisa White, Kendra, Candi, Ken G, which is now at Panther. The best CC's was Chris G.,Viki, Kevin M. There are some great people that work at FedEx I really must say. Rick Franks, Joe Reedy, Claude Lawson, Kathy Mc Donald, Pat G. Scott Mc Cain, Ryan Henry, Robbie R, Jeff S, Joyce C, Tom in the C-link department. Some of the other great people was let go after I was gone.

Then are some that would throw you under the bus in a heart beat like Michelle T. Lisa B. Debbie T. and many more.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Why would I lie Linda. I have nothing to gain from it. FedEx is FedEx, and what Davekc is talking about is when FedEx bought Roberts Express. If your truck wasn't white and you refused to paint the box white your lease was pulled. Henry Church was forced to paint the box on his brand new truck or have his lease pulled.

I can't comment about other people's experiences with truck and box paint, except to agree with Linda's point that the rules change from time to time. Also note that FedEx Custom Critical's contract is an at-will contract, meaning that contractors can be terminated for any reason, or no reason.

I can comment about the Glen and Janice Rice truck pictured below. This truck was leased to FedEx Custom Critical for a while before it was destroyed in an accident. It was not something that snuck in under the radar. EVERYBODY at FedEx Custom Critical seemed to know of this truck, including the people who make contract decisions and enforce policy.

Notice the blue lines on the top and bottom of the box. Because they were there, the Rices were not allowed to display the FedEx Custom Critical logo on the truck. They were allowed to bring the truck into the fleet and run it with FCC. Their lease was not terminated because of the box color.

As Diane and I understand the rules today, we could paint or graphic design our truck body (box) any way we wished (within reason and good taste) while continuing to lease the truck to FCC. We just would not be allowed to display the FCC logo on the truck.

Rice_truck.jpg

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The Rice's truck was much later. I believe our situation was in 98. Fortunately, they may have changed things but certainly not all. Nothing complicated, just not the right fit for us.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I can't comment about other people's experiences with truck and box paint, except to agree with Linda's point that the rules change from time to time. Also note that FedEx Custom Critical's contract is an at-will contract, meaning that contractors can be terminated for any reason, or no reason.

I can comment about the Glen and Janice Rice truck pictured below. This truck was leased to FedEx Custom Critical for a while before it was destroyed in an accident. It was not something that snuck in under the radar. EVERYBODY at FedEx Custom Critical seemed to know of this truck, including the people who make contract decisions and enforce policy.

Notice the blue lines on the top and bottom of the box. Because they were there, the Rices were not allowed to display the FedEx Custom Critical logo on the truck. They were allowed to bring the truck into the fleet and run it with FCC. Their lease was not terminated because of the box color.

As Diane and I understand the rules today, we could paint or graphic design our truck body (box) any way we wished (within reason and good taste) while continuing to lease the truck to FCC. We just would not be allowed to display the FCC logo on the truck.

Rice_truck.jpg

That is the way it should have been from the start Phil. I bet DaveKc would still be there.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Durring that big winter storm in DC when the local officals were saying on the news to "not be on the roads unless it was an emergency..." we were refusing a repeated offer to accept a load from Indiana to DC. We were told that if we refuse the load because we would not go there, we must take our truck OOS since we were not willing to take that load. I reminded him that there was several trucks ahead of us and closer to the pick up and if they start taking or demanding trucks go OOS who is going to run loads in the rest of the country? I recognize it for what it was. A frustrated dispatcher trying to get the load off his board in defiance of safety, and the DC officials. This was an individual acting outside the policies of FEDEX. We still turned the load down, imformed our CC what transpired, and shortly after got a nice load to Texas. Follow the Contractors helper guide on the proceedure of escalating issues. Be proffessional and state facts not feelings. It Works. As to others never being "tested"...the dispatcher(s) probably know better.

Very well stated. Dispatchers are human and in moments of frustration may make mistakes or commit bad acts that run wide of the rules. But the company policies about safety and covering loads are very clear.

When I said above that Diane and I had never been pressured to take a load, I did not mean that no dispatcher had never tried. I meant that we never felt any pressure even when dispatchers acted badly.

We felt no pressure because we knew the policies were clear and we were on solid ground. It is very rare for a dispatcher to act badly toward us but the one or two that have came to regret it after we alerted their superiors to the breach of company policy.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Refusing a truck like that to have a company logo on it is just silly. What a waste of a great marketing opportunity.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is the way it should have been from the start Phil. I bet DaveKc would still be there.

Possibly, but the micro-managing and pom-pom stuff from a few likely would have taken its toll over the years.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Possibly, but the micro-managing and pom-pom stuff from a few likely would have taken its toll over the years.

Knowing you, yea you would have left. I wish Roberts Express was never bought by FedEx.

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
i have been with fedex for the last 7 years and enjoy it
yes they will sometimes try to get you to accept a low paying load if no one else wants it but its youre choice to accept it or not
i never felt forced to take a load although they will send a offer multiple times trying to get something covered
for the most part i like it here:)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Pookie8me,I don't know what yuour talking about and the VRU hit me in the face saying.I was with FDCC for 25 years.I didn't care for the reason my contract was ended,but in the 25 years,even in the days of the 2 turn downs and you would be put out of service,I had never been made to do any load,especially if I told them it wouldn't be safe for me to do it.THe company knows safety,and safety comes first.If I told them roads were unsafe and I had to stop,or my co driver and I were just to tired to run a load,we were never forced.All this sounds like sour grapes to me.
As far as this thread and a promiss.In most cases the company is like anyother company,they are business to make money,and will try and keep you busy to do this,but remmeber,your not the only truck they have to work with,and 99% of the time,the dispatch system works pretty well.I'mnot with FDCC,and there isn't any reason I should stick up for them,and as happy as I was with FDCC for the 25 years I was there,I'm just as happy if not more with the company I'm with now.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When FED EX first took over Roberts,they did want all the boxes on the trucks to be whiite,they didn't say paint the trucks.AND what I remember,anyone not painting their boxes white were going to have their leases pulled.Bruno,you wish fed ex never bought Roberts,I wish Roadway never bought Roberts.This is all water over the dam.Evalution is part of life.My life is so much easier with a small company,and now that my truck is down,I'm thinking of driving a company truck for Tri State,this could be interesting,havent driven a company truck in 30 years

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
fedex cc is no good......will change loads and try to force you to accept or take you out of service......even if it is unsafe.....no good.....B unit cargo van team average $2500 week....on road 6-8 weeks at time...some weeks $3000 and some $2000. most workers are nice but the few dumb one's ruin the whole bunch...oh and don't worry about a call back....Fedex never calls you back....never......
Change loads on you,are you nuts,calll you back,they have always called me back.Sounds to me if your that unhappy you shoild leave.Or do you make so much money that you don't want to leave.After reading your BS,if I was in Safety reading this,your lease would be in jeopardy

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Dave,not 1998,My 1999 was still Roberts,I dont think the painting thing happened til FED EX was changing our signs fron Roberts to FED EX and I think that was 2000

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Lest get back on subject,your going to run solo in a straight truck.You have to remember,expedite is over night delivery.You will most likely get your dispatch in the afternoon,and delivery the next morning,and because of the HOS rules,you most likely wont get reloaded 'til the next day,so thats a run evey other day if the company is busy.If you stay in the right area,OH<MI<IN<IL,you will do better as a solo.Their computer system will over look you,at least it use to, if you dont have the full 14 hours to operate.I never drove a straight truck,justa tracto,but I did run solo for a time,and the HOS and FDCC'S computer was my enemy
Welcome to EO,and as a solo you there may be better places fo you to lease to

Status
Not open for further replies.