Fed Ex Orientation

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When we started we had zero commercial driving experience. We signed on with an owner and drove his straight truck.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Contract coordinators are useless for vans if you ask me..just mu opininon..

Mine was Tonya...she always got the few issues I had, handled quickly. I think she moved to a different department about the time I left.

Dale

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine was Tonya...she always got the few issues I had, handled quickly. I think she moved to a different department about the time I left.

Dale

We had Tonya as well. She was very good. She has moved to a different department but we do speak to her from time to time.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Anyone been to Isis and Fedex ?
Fedex is very good for a cafeteria.

Tonya was in safety. Get her occasionally. Basically just send an e-mail off the extranet now. I think we've only had one issue in the year we've been in new truck.

I do like the way they get payroll right consistently and the tools they give an owner to track things via the VRU or the extranet.

Newbies, learn the VRU. It'll be valuable if used properly.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
If you are going to be driving a straight truck with no recent experience, FedEx will most likely have you pass a driving test. (Similar to the driving portion of the CDL exam.)

I had to take the driving test when I started (apparently they don't consider 25 some odd years as "recent"! lol)

It was given at Big Rig Truck Driving School in Canton. My wife didn't have to take the test, as she went through Big Rig to get her CDL.

At least that was the way it was 1 1/2 years ago.

As for Orientation, like others have said, take lots of notes. Also, get to know the other people in the class. You'll have a head start on having friends out here on the road. (One of the things I like most about this job is getting to meet other teams and drivers.)

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
On a serious note, orientation is perhaps the best opportunity you have to learn about the industry and especially about the carrier you are about to begin with. Pay attention. Don't blow it off. Don't look at it as something to sit through to get over with. Many people report being overwhelmed with all the information given and they have good reason to say so.

After being in the business eight years with FedEx Custom Critical, Diane and I moved to Landstar Express America. Even with eight years experience, we took Landstar's orientation seriously. They were nice enough to put us up in a nearby hotel at their expense while we attended their orientation. A large number of books, pamphlets, forms and such were distributed. Before going into service for the first time with out new carrier, we took an extra day to organize and study everything they provided.

To this day we can review those materials and learn something new or re-learn something better. The more experience you gain, the better able you become to relate to the information and absorb it in a different way. Hang on to the stuff they give you. It will come in handy months and maybe even years later.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you meet folks during orientation that you just 'click' with, trade phone numbers with them, because sometimes you have questions that just won't wait for an answer online, lol. Once orientation is finished, you likely won't see them again for a long time - if ever.
Maybe take enough chocolate to share.
;)

jackieg

Active Expediter
Oh I WILL let u all know this site has been So Very Helpful! ps is there any written tests I should study up for with FexEx?