Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
This is in btu
D-2 7k heat
D-4 14k heat
D-8 24k heat made for buses only.
there are also gas versions.

Hmmmmm. Based on the better insulation value of the Cascadia I wonder if that is why they recommended that model. I do put the higher insulation package on the trucks.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmmmm. Based on the better insulation value of the Cascadia I wonder if that is why they recommended that model. I do put the higher insulation package on the trucks.

All I ever hear of is D-2's going in semi's guess that's all they need.

I guess that -38 Windchill last night did something to my motion sensor lights on the house as there not working now. Changed the bulbs and still nothing. The motion sensor flashes but that's all. And of course discovered this as I'm walking out the door to leave for Toledo to have some work done on the van, figures.

Oh yeah and it's official, my espar D-4 is keeping me warmer then my house furnace lol.

guido4475

Not a Member
This is the cheapest I have ever seen Espar D-2's going for. Have the shop put them in, and you just saved a bunch of money. Very simple install. I did mine myself, with the help of a friend.
[h=2]Espar Airtronic D2 Bunk Heater[/h]
airtronic.png
The Espar D2 Bunk Heater is a compact and lightweight diesel-fired cab heater with 7,500 BTU, quality engineered for dependability and uniquely designed for inside mounting and easy installation. Even though this unit utilizes a truck's own diesel fuel and batteries, it does so with the engine off and uses only about 1 gallon of fuel over a 24 hour period while using less power than a marker light. The Espar Airtronic features a digi-controller that offers manual control and digital temperature adjustment, with 4 speeds for a wider range of operator comfort, as well as on-board diagnostics. If you're looking for warm, quiet comfort with significant fuel savings and reduced periodic truck maintenance, order your Espar Bunk Heater today for the unbeatable price of only $895.

Click on the Airtronic picture to get started or go to Truck Heating & Air Conditioning (AC) Systems | Home Page | BunkHeaters.com. The Espar Airtronic D2 ships in one package from our company headquarters in Youngstown, Ohio typically within one business day of an order being placed.

5751 Cerni Place • P.O. Box 4176 • Youngstown, Ohio 44515 • Toll-Free: (888) 252-9136 • Fax: (330) 652-2470

guido4475

Not a Member
Freezing rain here in West Memphis. Everything is iced over and getting worse. Rocketman is even staying home...lol....He says hello to everyone.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am talking about putting them in all the company tractors. Any feedback on that good or bad?

Like some other items, the numbers on paper may not make them look like a good Return On Investment. That said, if they save one motor, keep a driver or two, then how valuable are they? Just may two cents worth.

Happy President Day all, still trying to find a load to somewhere warm. It's a balmy 22 here in North Carolina, with 3-5 inch of snow except later this afternoon. Stay warm all

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Morning folks.

Hey John the shower needs some attention. It will get two or three inches of water in the pan then suddenly start draining normally. Been doing it for a couple weeks now.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the D-2 would work fine in the company sleepers. I've had both in the Sprinter and would guess it has more cubic feet than the sleepers. While the d4 defiantly kicks butt 95% of the time the d2 should have no problem in that space. On the very coldest of times like this I bet they still would keep them in the 60's minimunn. I think Jason has them in his trucks?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think the D-2 would work fine in the company sleepers. I've had both in the Sprinter and would guess it has more cubic feet than the sleepers. While the d4 defiantly kicks butt 95% of the time the d2 should have no problem in that space. On the very coldest of times like this I bet they still would keep them in the 60's minimunn. I think Jason has them in his trucks?

I will give Jason a shout. And I will get the shower checked out today.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A D2 will keep an insulated Sprinter quite warm, so it should have no problems with a truck cab with a large sleeper, even one of those with a stupid-large condo. I have a D4 in my Sprinter, but most people I know who have them have a D2 in their Sprinter and they don't have a problem keeping warm.

The difference between the two is oomph and capability. The D4 will keep a rather large space warm, maybe even a 53' trailer, whereas a D2 probably wouldn't be able to keep up. In a smaller enclosed space like a Sprinter or a truck cab wit a sleeper, you're way below the keeping-up threshold, as both will keep up just fine, it's just a matter of how hard it has to work to so it.

These units have 4 power levels, Boost, High, Medium and Low.

BTU HEAT OUTPUT
BOOST
D2 - 7,500 BTU (2.2 kW)
D4 - 13,650 (4.0 kW)

HIGH
D2 - 6,150 (1.8 kW)
D4 - 10,200 (3.0 kW)

MEDIUM
D2 - 4,100 (1.2 kw)
D4 - 6,800 (2.0 kw)

LOW
D2 - 2,900 (0.85 kW)
D4 - 3,400 (1.0 kW)

You can see the D4 puts out considerably more heat at each level. What that means in a confined space is, the D4 spends less time on higher levels to keep the same space warm. Where the D2 may be on Boost for 10 or 15 minutes initially to warm things up, the D4 might only need 5 minutes. There the D2 may spend most of it's time on the Medium level to maintain the temperature, whereas the D4 will spend most of its time on Low. In temperatures like this, single digits or colder, the D4 will be on Medium and the D2 will be on High most of the time.

BTU heat output is part of it, but the other main consideration is airflow.

AIR FLOW, Cubic Feet per Minute
BOOST
D2 - 48
D4 - 85

HIGH
D2 - 40
D4 - 69

MEDIUM
D2 - 27
D4 - 50

LOW
D2 - 19
D4 - 30

The D4 puts out nearly twice as much heat at a given level, and will move it around nearly twice a much. A D4 on Low has roughly the same heating power as a D2 on Medium. Fuel consumption is the same, where the D4 on Low will consume the same fuel as the D2 on Medium.

Sooo, in that confined space, both will keep up and heat it satisfactorily, it's just the D4 will have to work a little less hard to do it. I'd go with the D2 for the trucks.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I am snowed in near Fort Campbell, KY. Managed to drive 30 miles in 90 minutes. Apparently Kentucky doesn't have many plows in this area. Most roads including major highways are not driveable from here. Hope this clears up soon.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I am snowed in near Fort Campbell, KY. Managed to drive 30 miles in 90 minutes. Apparently Kentucky doesn't have many plows in this area. Most roads including major highways are not driveable from here. Hope this clears up soon.
I'm in Murray, about 70 miles west of Ft Campbell. Down here anything 4 inches or more is considered a "Major Snow Event." And it's mainly because of the lack of snow removal equipment. Everything here in town is shut down, including Murray State University.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have a D-2 in one of the big Sterling's, 96" condo Bentz sleeper and it keeps it toasty warm.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I am headed that way from Detroit in a few hours. Hopefully they get the roads cleaned up by the time I get south.