February 2016 locations

Leonard2015

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Not sure where to ask this. I'm getting a class c license in Ohio and I am wondering No 1 will I have to take a driving test or just a written test?
No 2 what is the difference between a class b and a class c?
Thanks

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure where to ask this. I'm getting a class c license in Ohio and I am wondering No 1 will I have to take a driving test or just a written test?
Thanks
ClassA, B and C is all about the weight, not sure about the tests required, since I gave up my class B

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've seen that car before someplace......

OJ-Simpson.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks
Class B is any vehicle that weighs (or has a weight rating of) 26,001 pounds or more.

Class C is any vehicle that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting HAZMAT which requires placards.

You will have to take a road test. Among many things, you'll be out driving and the examiner will have you pull over to the side of the road as is you have a mechanical breakdown, and he'll ask what you should do. Obviously you'll use the emergency flashers, and then he'll want to know where the emergency triangles would be placed (so learn that part well). You'll probably drive under an overpass, and after you have passed it he'll ask you what the clearance for the bridge was, even though you're in a van and it doesn't matter. He wants to know that you're aware of heights and how high your van is, because it matters that you're at least conscious of things like that when you're hauling HAZMAT or people. He'll probably have you show him how you test the brakes before you even start rolling (pump 3 times and then hold). He'll probably have you pretend you're hauling HAZMAT and then stop at the pretend RR tracks (or maybe real ones). It's all in the CDL Driver's Handbook. :)