Fast and Furious Records Sealed....

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I guess the administration is above the law.....

U.S. Seals Court Records Of Border Patrol’s Murder

View Discussion
Last Updated: Wed, 11/30/2011 - 4:15pm
The Obama Administration has abruptly sealed court records containing alarming details of how Mexican drug smugglers murdered a U.S. Border patrol agent with a gun connected to a failed federal experiment that allowed firearms to be smuggled into Mexico.

This means information will now be kept from the public as well as the media. Could this be a cover-up on the part of the “most transparent” administration in history? After all, the rifle used to kill the federal agent (Brian Terry) last December in Arizona’s Peck Canyon was part of the now infamous Operation Fast and Furious. Conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), the disastrous scheme allowed guns to be smuggled into Mexico so they could eventually be traced to drug cartels.

Instead, federal law enforcement officers lost track of more than 1,000 guns which have been used in numerous crimes. In Terry’s case, five illegal immigrants armed with at least two semi-automatic assault rifles were hunting for U.S. Border Patrol agents near a desert watering hole just north of the Arizona-Mexico border when a firefight erupted and Terry got hit.

We know this only because Washington D.C.’s conservative newspaper , the Washington Times, got ahold of the court documents before the government suddenly made them off limits. The now-sealed federal grand jury indictment tells the frightening story of how Terry was gunned down by Mexican drug smugglers patrolling the rugged desert with the intent to “intentionally and forcibly assault” Border Patrol agents.

You can see why the administration wants to keep this information from the public and the media, considering the smugglers were essentially armed by the U.S. government. Truth is, no one will know the reason for the confiscation of public court records in this case because the judge’s decision to seal it was also sealed, according to the news story. That means the public or media won’t have access to any new or old evidence, filings, rulings or arguments.

A number of high-ranking Border Patrol officials are questioning how the case is being handled. For instance, they wonder why the defendant (Manuel Osorio-Arellanes) hasn’t been tried even though it’s been almost a year since Terry’s murder. They also have concerns about the lack of transparency in the investigation, not to mention the recent sealing of the court case.

Osorio-Arellanes is charged with second-degree murder. The four other drug smugglers fled the scene and their names were blacked out in the indictment. In 2006 Osorio-Arellanes had been convicted in Phoenix of felony aggravated assault and in 2010 he was twice detained for being in the U.S. illegally.

During a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing this month to address the flawed gun-tracking program, Attorney General Eric Holder said it’s not fair to assume that mistakes in Operation Fast and Furious led to Terry’s death. Holder also expressed regret to the federal agent’s family, saying that he can only imagine their pain.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where is the "press" these days? When there was word of a mere B&E at the Watergate they went nuts "investigating" it. Of course, Nixon was a Republican.

Here we have at least one dead person, maybe more. Of course, Obama is a Democrat. I don't see the Washington Post or similar papers going after this gonads to the walls.

One wonders why? Surely it is not bias. Must be an oversight. They will get to it soon. As soon as they finish digging up more "victims" of Herman Cain. Funny the same crowd let Clinton slide too. A pattern? :rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No pattern that I can see. It seems to me, they let Reagan slide also and he was a republican.

Slide for which one? Reagan was only a Republican in name only.

The question still is, why are they not going after this? Why is the Obama administration sealing the records. What have they to fear? Must be pretty bad.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Slide for which one? Reagan was only a Republican in name only.

The question still is, why are they not going after this? Why is the Obama administration sealing the records. What have they to fear? Must be pretty bad.

My point is, the press hasn't gone after any President since Nixon. Dem or Rep.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sure, they have all been leftists. Why are they not going after them? Are they "owned" by the same people that own the presidents?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wait a minute... WHO, exactly, sealed the court records?

There is no way "the Obama Administration" sealed the court records. A judge (in Tuscon) sealed them, same as judges seal court records in murder case all the time if the cases are still being investigated, to prevent information in the records of giving people ideas about who witnesses are, what kinds of evidence is to be presented, all kinds of stuff.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
From the article:

During a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing this month to address the flawed gun-tracking program, Attorney General Eric Holder said it’s not fair to assume that mistakes in Operation Fast and Furious led to Terry’s death. Holder also expressed regret to the federal agent’s family, saying that he can only imagine their pain.

But when given the chance twice to apologies, he refused to do so...he must have felt in doing so, it would have been some sort of admission of guilt on the DOJ's part....and i am sure he felt the need to CHisA...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An "honest" president, one who claims "transparency" would release 100% of the information he has and instruct those who work for him, like Holder, to do the same. Not that we have had an "honest" president in my lifetime.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Wait a minute... WHO, exactly, sealed the court records?

The now-sealed federal grand jury indictment tells the frightening story of how Terry was gunned down by Mexican drug smugglers patrolling the rugged desert with the intent to “intentionally and forcibly assault” Border Patrol agents.

Who is in charge of "federal grand juries"??

The federal grand jury hears evidence presented by a federal prosecutor. The grand jury has no investigative staff of its own, so it relies on the prosecutor's information and expertise. The prosecutor shapes the case before the grand jury, deciding which witnesses will be called and what evidence to present. The grand jury may ask to call additional witnesses if necessary.

Full story here...

The federal prosecutor, or Assistant United States Attorney (“AUSA”), is the primary government official interacting with the federal grand jury

Sounds like DOJ to me......full story here.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An "honest" president, one who claims "transparency" would release 100% of the information he has and instruct those who work for him, like Holder, to do the same. Not that we have had an "honest" president in my lifetime.
Are you really and truly suggesting that the president, Holder, and the prosecuting attorney's in the criminal court case release to the public any and all information regarding the case, even before the investigation is complete and the case goes to trial? Really?

While I wouldn't call Obama "honest" even on a bet, honesty's got nothing to do with this. A federal judge sealed the records, and for good reason - to prevent a slam-dunk mistrial.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you really and truly suggesting that the president, Holder, and the prosecuting attorney's in the criminal court case release to the public any and all information regarding the case, even before the investigation is complete and the case goes to trial? Really?

While I wouldn't call Obama "honest" even on a bet, honesty's got nothing to do with this. A federal judge sealed the records, and for good reason - to prevent a slam-dunk mistrial.

We shall see.

I don't believe for one second that this was "sealed" to insure a "fair trial". I believe it was "sealed" to find a way to remove any and all evidence that Obama ordered this mess and it was directed by Holder.

It is also my belief that this was "set up" to "prove" the statements that Obama made in Mexico that the guns used there are all coming from the U.S. That way he can push for more "restrictions" on the Second Amendment. If some people get killed as a result, so much the better for his case.

Orders like this always come down from the top. Only those on the bottom go to trail. I looks like a normal case of CYA to me, but time will tell. I don't trust any of those bums in charge.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Who is in charge of "federal grand juries"??

Full story here...

Sounds like DOJ to me......full story here.
Yes, thank you. I'm well aware of how grand juries work, and who is in charge of them, and that once a grand jury issue an indictment the indictment is returned to a judge. I'm also aware that no one other than a judge can order court records to be sealed.

"The now-sealed federal grand jury indictment tells the frightening story..."

Whoever wrote that is a full-tilt boogie moron. For one, an indictment is simply a formal charge that doesn't tell any kind of story at all, and two, a sealed grand jury indictment is one in which the indictment itself (the fact that a formal charge has been made) is sealed and kept a secret until the defendant is in custody or has been released pending trial. No one can reveal the existence of the indictment except as necessary to issue or execute a warrant or summons.

The Administration, the DOJ, prosecuting attorneys nor anyone else other than the presiding judge can order the court records to be sealed.

"Orders like this always come down from the top."

No they don't. Court records are sealed all the time without any directive from the "top", be that a mayor or a president. That's why we have a separation of powers at all levels of government.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"No they don't. Court records are sealed all the time without any directive from the "top", be that a mayor or a president. That's why we have a separation of powers at all levels of government."

I miss typed or you misunderstood what I meant. I meant that the "orders" that started "Fast and Furious" came down from the top.

Do I also believe that Obama, or his handlers, could "influence" a judge to "seal" something long enough to "sanitize" it to protect the guilty? Without a doubt.

I know that in theory we have separation of powers at all levels of government. I also no longer trust our courts to be as "independent" of the other two branches as they should be. I have, for the most part, lost all faith in our elected officials and courts. I no longer trust any of them.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Yes, thank you. I'm well aware of how grand juries work, and who is in charge of them, and that once a grand jury issue an indictment the indictment is returned to a judge. I'm also aware that no one other than a judge can order court records to be sealed.

"The now-sealed federal grand jury indictment tells the frightening story..."

Whoever wrote that is a full-tilt boogie moron. For one, an indictment is simply a formal charge that doesn't tell any kind of story at all, and two, a sealed grand jury indictment is one in which the indictment itself (the fact that a formal charge has been made) is sealed and kept a secret until the defendant is in custody or has been released pending trial. No one can reveal the existence of the indictment except as necessary to issue or execute a warrant or summons.

The Administration, the DOJ, prosecuting attorneys nor anyone else other than the presiding judge can order the court records to be sealed.

No they don't. Court records are sealed all the time without any directive from the "top", be that a mayor or a president. That's why we have a separation of powers at all levels of government.

In a perfect, Obamaless world, you might be correct but that's not what we're living in now, is is.......just sayin'

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I guess the administration is above the law.....
Newsflash: this isn't the first administration that ever thought so ... and if anything, the way was paved in gold-plated splendor for the current crowd by their predecessors ......

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Ya just couldn't make it up if ya tried ..... :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"No they don't. Court records are sealed all the time without any directive from the "top", be that a mayor or a president. That's why we have a separation of powers at all levels of government."

I miss typed or you misunderstood what I meant. I meant that the "orders" that started "Fast and Furious" came down from the top.
Ah, OK. I thought you meant the order to seal the records (since that's what the thread is about :D ).

The orders for Fast and Furious might have come from the top, but it might not have. I'm sure you are aware of a man named Allen Dulles who often created his own orders, and rarely obeyed the order he got from the top. ;)

Do I also believe that Obama, or his handlers, could "influence" a judge to "seal" something long enough to "sanitize" it to protect the guilty? Without a doubt.
Sure they could, but that it could happen is in no way any evidence that it did happen. So far, there's no evidence of that whatsoever.

I know that in theory we have separation of powers at all levels of government. I also no longer trust our courts to be as "independent" of the other two branches as they should be. I have, for the most part, lost all faith in our elected officials and courts. I no longer trust any of them.
Well OK then.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
Hers is a little more of the story.The way I am reading it is the only thing sealed is the case against the shooter.The thing that bothers me about it being sealed is that the judge also sealed his reasoning behing sealing it.

Armed illegals stalked Border Patrol - Washington Times

In other F&F news they only people that seem to be showing any Morals at all in this are the ones that are being punished.

'Fast And Furious' Whistleblowers Struggle Six Months After Testifying Against ATF Program | Fox News

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Sure they could, but that it could happen is in no way any evidence that it did happen. So far, there's no evidence of that whatsoever."

Glad you added the "so far" part, although I think that no one who could investigate it will. They have to protect their "boy" from blame. (boy not meant in the racist sense as some may believe I would say). Never said that it DID happen, just that I believe that it could happen and that it would not surprise me one bit.

The plan it self reeks of Obama and his leftist ideas and dreams of doing away with at least the "Bill of Rights" if not the entire Constitution.