Express-1 Set to Grow Big

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Now published is an article I wrote after interviewing XPO CEO Bradley Jacobs and Express-1 president Jeff Curry about the future of Express-1. You can read it here.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
nice article I am curious to hear from some e1 drivers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

xlman78

Active Expediter
started in Feb with E1 on Sprinter, mu buddy stared a month after me, and we are not optimistic as Bradley, maybe more $ for E1, but not for us, miles are low.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Gee reading that article made me think of OVM's Tag Line..."Drive LESS, Make MORE..." All I heard was miles, O/O's need miles...LOL...Thanks John and Load 1, I'll stay right where i am...:D

I wonder, did they get their "nickel or dime" (not sure which it was that was taken from them) back???

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I noticed that also. For a guy new to the transportation industry, Mr. Jacobs already knows the buzzword that will get most truckers salivating, MILES.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is what the buzz word was when i was with them....MILES....they constantly pitched that they have tons of miles available.....so if you drove your butt off there was money to be made....eventually.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That comment on "miles" would give me time to pause. My preference would be to focus on the profitabilty. More of them "miles" at the wrong rate only means you are working harder and going broke much faster.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
For a newbie o/o coming into the industry, its understandable to think you need miles to make a profit..it takes time to figure it out...we all know there are even old timers with that same mentality...just thick headed..but for that thought pattern to be part of the mentality this high up in the "food chain" of a carrier...wow....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if they use a similar line on their hourly employees?

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
Express-1 Definitely sounds Like a Company I would Like to be a Part of; once I Decide to Go Back into the Business 3 Years Down the Road!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder if they use a similar line on their hourly employees?

I always thought....they should tell employees... we are going to cut your pay....But we have lots of hours to work to make up for it.....how would that go over?
......effectively that is what they did to I/C's with the last rate cut......They just made a BIG announcement of increasing rates for solo straights to $1.20...oh boy...all they did was give back what they took 5 years ago back....

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Gee reading that article made me think of OVM's Tag Line..."Drive LESS, Make MORE..." All I heard was miles, O/O's need miles...LOL...

I noticed that also. For a guy new to the transportation industry, Mr. Jacobs already knows the buzzword that will get most truckers salivating, MILES.

Just read the article....and noticed this too.

The "Miles" question was directly answered by Jacobs......while most of the other questions was answered by Curry. I then went and looked at Currys BIO over on the E1 site. Curry has 10 years there at E1, and what looks like only 10 years in the Expediting Industry. But, he also understands Expediting.......

Jacobs is still an outsider looking in.....and learning.....but has yet to understand the "Drive Less....Make More" cliche Expeditors strive for. My opinion.....he doesn't get the "Exclusive Use" of Truck that should bring in higher rates to get loads moved yet. Combining the 3 companies as has been done is turning E1 into basically a "Schneider/CRST" type of trucking company, with "HUBS" all over the country, and Jacobs believes that will bring in more "MILES" for everyone to enjoy, and to benefit and profit from.

We'll see what the Future brings for E1 under Jacobs's vision and money.

Again.......My Opinion.