Express-1 Set to Grow Big

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
nice article I am curious to hear from some e1 drivers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Why would you want to hear from E-1 drivers? Looking for the truth? YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH! Sorry.....got caught up in the moment.

More Miles at current rates- you get to the poor house faster.
More Miles at current rates- your expense's go higher faster.
More Miles at current rates- your ware and tear on your equipment happens faster.
More Miles at current rates- your wife thinks you need a "real job, real soon" uh, faster.
More Miles at current rates- your feet better not fail you now.... Run away faster!

Although- That 811 mile'er I just ran, did pay 1.38 per mile.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
All of these new offices and start ups have been truckload brokerage and freight forwarding offices. While they may be additional freight streams for Express-1, I don't think they are going to be terminals.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Great growth comes with great problems and only great management can control it. Be carefull what we ask for, its a long ways down. imho There are just so many miles for drivers in service and like Panther, u get top heavy, will u got the picture.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
All of these new offices and start ups have been truckload brokerage and freight forwarding offices. While they may be additional freight streams for Express-1, I don't think they are going to be terminals.
When there I've picked up at sister companies...like Concert Group a few times, they have outlets in many major cities a freight forwarder....and just a few times for Bounce Logistics.....not every load gets fed to E-1 automatically...some hit the load boards...

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
How am I ever going to get any busines for my comopany with E-1 taking over the entire broker market? :-(

Ya out think em, out work em and mostly out pray em. When a customer loves you and just likes them you win. When someone is looking for a person they trust to handle their frieght, many shippers still prefer a hand shake and a smile instead of a dull computer interface. People still love it when they feel appreciated by personal attention and many love to work with smaller companies instead of just being a number for some mega-carrier/broker.

I know you said that with a bunch of sarcasm but just keep rockin Blizz. Maybe you will be one of the companies that E1 buys out then you can just retire to an island somewhere. Better yet, you may end up buying them out or, like Jacobs said, it would be cheaper to offer sign-on bonuses to get their drivers...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
How am I ever going to get any busines for my comopany with E-1 taking over the entire broker market? :-(

At the Sylectus conference, in the question and answer time that followed Jacobs' speech, someone in the audience asked, "Who are the losers?"

Jacobs had just laid out his plan for building a multi billion-dollar freight forwarding and truck brokerage company and was then asked, "Who are the losers?"

The questioner wanted to know, at whose expense would this big company be built? Who will go out of business when Jacobs builds his big business?

Jacob's first response was that he did not know. He said he does not spend much time thinking about losers. He likes to think about winners. Then, after having a moment to consider the question, he said the losers would likely be the small companies that will not have the software, networks and reach that larger brokerages do.

When Jacobs thinks about the industry, he sees XPO growing to compete head on with the likes of Expediters International and other huge companies. The companies he acquires will not be losing market share to XPO. They will bring their market share to XPO when they become part of that larger organization.

When Jacobs is looking for companies to acquire, he is looking for companies that are already large in the eyes of small brokers who work at their kitchen table or home offices.

You can get an idea of the scope of his vision by reading this: XPO Logistics Opens North American Operations Center in Charlotte, N.C.

XPO is clearly on the move and proceeding according to plans previously announced. Below are the CEO comments from XPO Logistics Announces First Quarter 2012 Results.

Bradley Jacobs , chairman and chief executive officer, said, “Our strategy is to scale up our operations through acquisitions, cold-starts and organic growth. Our first acquisition is Continental Freight Services, a 32-year-old company based in South Carolina with a loyal customer base and excellent employees. Continental is a good strategic fit because we can scale it up quickly by adding salespeople and carrier capacity.”

Jacobs continued, “Our cold-start program is running ahead of plan: Ann Arbor opened in mid-April, and Dallas started operating last week. Phoenix, our first cold-start, has exceeded our expectations – it launched in December and quickly ramped up revenues to $760,000 in April. Given our cold-start performance and healthy backlog of acquisition candidates, we’re comfortable with our target of a $500 million revenue run rate by year-end.

“At our new operations center in Charlotte, where our goal is 100 hires by year-end, we’re already nearly 30% staffed. The new IT platform we rolled out in March is giving us greater internal visibility, and stronger tools for sales and service management. And we recently added two key leaders in carrier procurement and employee training. These roles are vital to our strategy, and we’ve brought top talent on board.

“While it was a very successful quarter in terms of executing our plan, the investments in new infrastructure impacted our earnings, as expected. We also experienced market softness for both expedited and freight forwarding services. However, our truck brokerage business delivered very strong growth, with same-store profitability more than doubling year-over-year. We’re focused on optimizing our operations within each operating segment to position the company for substantial value creation in the coming years.”

Preacher Rich, kindly note that just because a company is big, it does not follow that trusted personal relationships cannot be developed between its brokers and/or agents and the customers it serves.

Landstar agents are a case in point. Landstar is a big, big broker and carrier, yet its agents develop and cultivate good customer relationships all day long. Many of these relationships were years in the making. Landstar Express America BCO's (owner-operator independent contractors) serve such customers, some of whom spend millions of dollars a year on transportation.

There will probably always be room for the kitchen-table or home-office broker to do develop personal relationships with small shippers. But when small shippers become larger, they will be targeted by larger brokers and carriers that can offer more than a small players can. Also, nothing prohibits a small shipper from using a large broker from the beginning, and many may prefer to do so because they feel they can count on the large broker still being in business tomorrow.

It's all one big slog. People pick their levels in this business and fight in that arena. Baseball has its major leagues, minor leagues and other leagues that don't even show up on the major league radar. So too with transportation. Jacobs aspires to be a major league player and intends to get that way by bringing a number of minors into the big-league game.

Blizzard, how will you get business for your company? You will do it tomorrow like you do it today. Pick your league and compete at that level.

(Full disclosure: Diane and I own shares of XPO Logistics.)

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't really see how XPO is just going to take over the entire freight brokerage industry. If one single company and a fist full of dollars could do that I think CH Robinson would have already put everyone else out of business. Remember the stats on this; only 40 percent of all brokered loads are handled by the top ten percent of firms - the other 60 percent are handled by small mom and pop operations and guys who work from their kitchen tables.

When you go with a big company you become a number and are treated as such. Case in point. My friend delivered a load for Panther to a customer that gives panther 30 loads a month - very high paying loads. The guy was so mad when my friend got there because he couldn't get anyone to answer the phone when he called in to customer service. Granted the guy is somewhat content with the level of service that Panther is giving him.

But if I were to come in there and solicit his business by telling him I'd dedicate 2 live people to work his shipments day and night, and that no matter what time of the day it is he would always be able to call in ant talk to a live person after two rings, he'd probably seriously consider my proposition. It doesn't take much to service 30 loads a month. Perhaps a list of 20-20 outside carriers to call upon to get the freight covered. The loads also paid well enough to justify two dedicated customer service reps.

The bigger a company becomes the more that company loses control over it's people and the more top heavy the company becomes. Jaccobs is more interested in his multi-billion dollar empire than he is customer service. That is where things will go wrong. Landstar on the other hand absorbs brokers and kind of lets them rent the system for a percentage of what they bring in. This type of system is better than the XPO model because the Broker Agents work directly with the shippers and along with the Landstar name comes confidence. Shippers know that Landstar operates very clean and safe equipment and the customer knows that their load is going to get to its destination in one piece.

XPO is not necessarily a trucking company with a huge reputation for on time service and great safety ratings. That makes them just like any other small guy out there. They are going to have to fight to gain market share, and if they fail to pay attention to customer service, then they are going to lose it. It is very expensive to open up offices all over the place, staff them, and all of that. I just hope they don't try and get too big and end up eating huge monthly overhead expenses. Sometimes ambition can be good and sometimes it can be destructive!

And to everyone out there. I will not give up. I will never close the doors to my company. "They will have to pry the keys to my company from my cold dead hands!" Even if I have to pay the 800 dollars a month fixed operating expenses that I currently have "out of my own pocket" I will do so for 2-3-4-5-10 years until my company gains access to all of the load sources that the big boys have, and we become profitable. I can get 800 bucks in less than 1 week a driving my own van personally and I will keep on pushing forward in the face of adversity until I succeed. I bet there was a time when Load One had to fight their way onto the scene.

Even Panther started out with 2 straight trucks, 1 cargo van, and the owners running the company from a basement. Imagine that, Panther once had their dispatch office in the basement of a house and Dan Sokoloski used to drive a cargo van and make deliveries! Look at where they are today with one owner bought out for 20 Million and now retired and the other remains head of the board of directors and is still pulling down a pretty sizeable income. Just two guys with an idea and a lot of dedication.

Don't tell me that just because a company starts out in a kitchen, bedroom, or basement that it cannot grow to become the next Roberts Express. Like i've always said before; some people need to be led around by their carrier and fed loads, paid, and coddled like babies, while some of us will move on to bigger and better things. It wasn't all that long ago that they laughed at Lawrence. I bet Lawrence was running around like Matthew Lesco with all the question marks on his suit down at the Detroiter and they laughed at him. Now he is what he is because he keep on moving forward. Some folks just don't have the stomach to go into business for themselves and for them there are the CEO's.

Last edited by a moderator:

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Preacher Rich, kindly note that just because a company is big, it does not follow that trusted personal relationships cannot be developed between its brokers and/or agents and the customers it serves.

Landstar agents are a case in point. Landstar is a big, big broker and carrier, yet its agents develop and cultivate good customer relationships all day long. Many of these relationships were years in the making. Landstar Express America BCO's (owner-operator independent contractors) serve such customers, some of whom spend millions of dollars a year on transportation.

There will probably always be room for the kitchen-table or home-office broker to do develop personal relationships with small shippers. But when small shippers become larger, they will be targeted by larger brokers and carriers that can offer more than a small players can. Also, nothing prohibits a small shipper from using a large broker from the beginning, and many may prefer to do so because they feel they can count on the large broker still being in business tomorrow.

It's all one big slog. People pick their levels in this business and fight in that arena. Baseball has its major leagues, minor leagues and other leagues that don't even show up on the major league radar. So too with transportation. Jacobs aspires to be a major league player and intends to get that way by bringing a number of minors into the big-league game.

Blizzard, how will you get business for your company? You will do it tomorrow like you do it today. Pick your league and compete at that level.

(Full disclosure: Diane and I own shares of XPO Logistics.)

Not disputing any of that. But when it comes right down to it, just don't discount the little guy. Like baseball, players can move up from the minors because they out play others at the major league level. No player decides that they want to be a great minor league player, they just want to be the best at what they love doing. They they dream every day of making it to the big show.

There will always be room for those people that decide they just want to be the best at something they love. The best transportation company 10 years from now, may still be in the planning stages on someones kitchen table. A couple guys just starting out can be the next big thing.

Just so you know, I am definately not anti big business. Every big company started out as a little one and those that remember where they came from, turn out to be the best ones. I have never met John Elliot but just by the comments of his drivers, I would be willing to bet that one of the reasons his drivers are so happy, is because he remembers where he came from. It appears that Load1 drivers for the most part feel like they are part of the team/family and not just another number by those "so and so's" at corporate. Just my opinion...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Is this an accurate comparison? Are XPO's salespeople similar to Landstar's "independent agent" business model, or are they employees?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't really see how XPO is just going to take over the entire freight brokerage industry. If one single company and a fist full of dollars could do that I think CH Robinson would have already put everyone else out of business. Remember the stats on this; only 40 percent of all brokered loads are handled by the top ten percent of firms - the other 60 percent are handled by small mom and pop operations and guys who work from their kitchen tables.

When you go with a big company you become a number and are treated as such. Case in point. My friend delivered a load for Panther to a customer that gives panther 30 loads a month - very high paying loads. The guy was so mad when my friend got there because he couldn't get anyone to answer the phone when he called in to customer service. Granted the guy is somewhat content with the level of service that Panther is giving him.

But if I were to come in there and solicit his business by telling him I'd dedicate 2 live people to work his shipments day and night, and that no matter what time of the day it is he would always be able to call in ant talk to a live person after two rings, he'd probably seriously consider my proposition. It doesn't take much to service 30 loads a month. Perhaps a list of 20-20 outside carriers to call upon to get the freight covered. The loads also paid well enough to justify two dedicated customer service reps.

The bigger a company becomes the more that company loses control over it's people and the more top heavy the company becomes. Jaccobs is more interested in his multi-billion dollar empire than he is customer service. That is where things will go wrong. Landstar on the other hand absorbs brokers and kind of lets them rent the system for a percentage of what they bring in. This type of system is better than the XPO model because the Broker Agents work directly with the shippers and along with the Landstar name comes confidence. Shippers know that Landstar operates very clean and safe equipment and the customer knows that their load is going to get to its destination in one piece.

XPO is not necessarily a trucking company with a huge reputation for on time service and great safety ratings. That makes them just like any other small guy out there. They are going to have to fight to gain market share, and if they fail to pay attention to customer service, then they are going to lose it. It is very expensive to open up offices all over the place, staff them, and all of that. I just hope they don't try and get too big and end up eating huge monthly overhead expenses. Sometimes ambition can be good and sometimes it can be destructive!

And to everyone out there. I will not give up. I will never close the doors to my company. "They will have to pry the keys to my company from my cold dead hands!" Even if I have to pay the 800 dollars a month fixed operating expenses that I currently have "out of my own pocket" I will do so for 2-3-4-5-10 years until my company gains access to all of the load sources that the big boys have, and we become profitable. I can get 800 bucks in less than 1 week a driving my own van personally and I will keep on pushing forward in the face of adversity until I succeed. I bet there was a time when Load One had to fight their way onto the scene.

Even Panther started out with 2 straight trucks, 1 cargo van, and the owners running the company from a basement. Imagine that, Panther once had their dispatch office in the basement of a house and Dan Sokoloski used to drive a cargo van and make deliveries! Look at where they are today with one owner bought out for 20 Million and now retired and the other remains head of the board of directors and is still pulling down a pretty sizeable income. Just two guys with an idea and a lot of dedication.

Don't tell me that just because a company starts out in a kitchen, bedroom, or basement that it cannot grow to become the next Roberts Express. Like i've always said before; some people need to be led around by their carrier and fed loads, paid, and coddled like babies, while some of us will move on to bigger and better things. It wasn't all that long ago that they laughed at Lawrence. I bet Lawrence was running around like Matthew Lesco with all the question marks on his suit down at the Detroiter and they laughed at him. Now he is what he is because he keep on moving forward. Some folks just don't have the stomach to go into business for themselves and for them there are the CEO's.

Wonder if Fred Smith throught that way when he was forming the FedEx Brand from a table in his house. Or when he had to sell his watch to pay the fuel bill on his Falcons.....

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Is this an accurate comparison? Are XPO's salespeople similar to Landstar's "independent agent" business model, or are they employees?

I believe it is an accurate comparison to a limited extent today and will be more so in the future. Express-1 president Jeff Curry spoke to this when I asked about cross selling among XPO divisions (Express-1, Concert Group Logistics, Inc., Bounce Logistics, Inc.).

He said, "Most of those stations are independently owned so those people are business owners and sales minded, sales oriented. A couple of them are directly compensated by Express-1 as independent sales agents for us. And they do a pretty darn-good job."

Clearly, Express-1 has independent "stations" selling on their behalf now. I look for more of that in the future.

(Full disclosure: Diane and I own shares of XPO.)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't really see how XPO is just going to take over the entire freight brokerage industry.

XPO Logistics, Inc. has no intention of taking over the entire freight brokerage industry, but the company does have plans to grow into a multi billion-dollar company within the industry. You can read about the plan and the reasoning behind it by reading this XPO Logistics Investor Presentation.

(Full disclosure: Diane and I own shares of XPO.)

Last edited:

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Looks like they want to grow their temp control / defense business on the expedite side. That seems like a pretty "ho-hum" plan to me. I mean isn't every expedite carriers desire to gain market share in the lucrative TVAL market ? And defense ? , I would think that market would be shrinking, at some point, with the cessation of our skirmishes in the middle-east. It will be interesting to watch XPO.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums