Expediter Types

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I don't have a clever name for them, but the ones that boil my potatoes are the hyper-compliant ones, the ones who go way beyond both the spirit and letter of the law and inconvenience the rest of us.

I'm not talking about personal choice things that impact no one but themselves, but things that affect others. Forex, when entering a construction zone, they not only slow down to the construction zone limit, but even more if they see a worker in it, even if the worker's not particularly close to the traffic.

And then there are the ones who, when seeing a cop on the side of the road, change lanes and THEN slow way down in addition. It's move over OR slow down if traffic doesn't permit you to change lanes, not both.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A-Team, you guys forgot to put the new breed of expediter in your piece. There are two types of new breeds out here. The first one is the lot of drivers who work for multiple carriers and the second lot are the ones who run their own company from a laptop inside their truck. There are also a few straight trucks drivers who run under their own authority and also work for multiple carriers as partner carrier trucks. You also forgot to name someone who has lost three vans in 5 years and refuses to give up "this also includes a few other hard-headed drivers who post in here" I call our types "the die hards!" lol

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Escape Driver: One who just wants to get away from his or her significant other and pretends to be working.lol

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Escape Driver: One who just wants to get away from his or her significant other and pretends to be working.lol

lol "the escape driver" I met a sprinter driver who worked for Express-1 a few years back and this guy claimed to have a couple of hundred thousand dollars stored away in a secret bank account that his wife didn't know about. I call that a true escape artist!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Blizzard wrote:

lol, since so many people have called you a hobby expediter, we're going to have to build a glass bottle around your truck! Make it look like you are a hobby boat/truck builder and painter.

LOL, make sure the bottle has a "amber tint"..and that there are big holes in the bottom so the van wheels stick out and can steer...i still need to be mobile and get to the next "sight seeing" locations!!! :D

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
And there's me, the tourist expediter, having a blast traveling and site seeing while making money at it.

Sent from my DROID X2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am bored..after 11 yrs it is getting old....very few new places....I65 and I 75 & I94 & I40 get really boring...I feel like I am on auto pilot....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
TennTrucker wrote:

And there's me, the tourist expediter, having a blast traveling and site seeing while making money at it.

LOL, yeap just another out here making a this into a paid vacation!! :D Me persoanlly I concur!! :D

But, be aware that you are subject to the "rath" of some that feel you are not a professional and that you are doing nothing but making people believe that this is not really a business... and that anyone can do this....:eek:

Enjoy yourself, I know I do!!!:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not talking about personal choice things that impact no one but themselves, but things that affect others. Forex, when entering a construction zone, they not only slow down to the construction zone limit, but even more if they see a worker in it, even if the worker's not particularly close to the traffic.
Yeah, I know what you mean. How dare these selfish inconsiderates drive a safe and prudent speed through dangerous road conditions!

Where you see one worker, there might be another, and they might not be way over there away from traffic.

And then there are the ones who, when seeing a cop on the side of the road, change lanes and THEN slow way down in addition. It's move over OR slow down if traffic doesn't permit you to change lanes, not both.
Actually, in some states it is both. New York is one, Florida is another, Montana is another. There are several.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, I know what you mean. How dare these selfish inconsiderates drive a safe and prudent speed through dangerous road conditions!

Where you see one worker, there might be another, and they might not be way over there away from traffic.

How dare they impede traffic in an area in which the speed limit has been lowered--usually substantially more than necessary--to reflect the changing conditions? I imagine you remember the Tim Conway shtick from the old 1970s Carol Burnett variety show...

I worked with a guard who would do that shtick on duty. And he wouldn't break character until he was darned good and ready to. He'd hear a noise, go "Eh?" and take a good 30 seconds to turn around and see what it was, in an only slightly hyperbolic impression of the average, minimum-wage guard. Side-splitting every time.

But infuriating to Harvey Corman's character when he's trying to catch a plane and has to get through Tim Conway's character at the ticket counter to do it. And infuriating on I-65 when a safety Nazi decides to do 25 in a 45 mph construction zone when 55 or 65 would have been plenty safe.

Actually, in some states it is both. New York is one, Florida is another, Montana is another. There are several.

It's going to be a sad day in this country when the last people who even remember being free have died, back before the war on everything reasonable and decent.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And infuriating on I-65 when a safety Nazi decides to do 25 in a 45 mph construction zone when 55 or 65 would have been plenty safe.

so you decide the safety factor and disregard the posted limit?

I am not saying I am honest Abe or something like that...while it is somewhat a PIA ..it well within ones right to obey the law...while us lawbreakers speed by them or get held up by the law abiding citizen...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
so you decide the safety factor and disregard the posted limit?

I am not saying I am honest Abe or something like that...while it is somewhat a PIA ..it well within ones right to obey the law...while us lawbreakers speed by them or get held up by the law abiding citizen...
no, I almost always drive the posted speed in the construction zone. what I'm talking about are people who slow down substantially below that, when conditions don't warrant it. the dot has already examined the work zone and determined the safe legal speed, then they posted the signs. so what I'm talking about are people who slow down even more than that. I mean, there is such a thing as impeding traffic.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
no, I almost always drive the posted speed in the construction zone. what I'm talking about are people who slow down substantially below that, when conditions don't warrant it. the dot has already examined the work zone and determined the safe legal speed, then they posted the signs. so what I'm talking about are people who slow down even more than that. I mean, there is such a thing as impeding traffic.

I feel your pain on that one and the ones that slow down way too much just because the see a cop car...and make me change lanes....why do they do that? Then there are the ones that won't pass a cop either? the limit is 65 and the cop is doing 60 just messing with people I think...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You also have to take into account there are people who are not as comfortable driving through construction zones, especially at night, what with all the lights, barrels, barriers and every other distracting thing, so they will slow down to a speed which is comfortable and safe for them. I'm fine with that, 'cause the alternative is for them to likely cause an accident.

And if you do the math, you'll find that more often than not, the time you lost while being stuck behind Tim Conway is mere seconds, a minute, maybe two depending on the length of the zone.

1 miles at 25 MPH is 2 minutes, 24 seconds.
1 miles at 45 MPH is 1 minute, 20 seconds.

I was stuck behind a slow-poke the other day for 3 miles in a 50 MPH construction zone. He was going 40. Wasn't that big a deal, really.

3 miles at 50 MPH is 3 minutes, 36 seconds.
3 miles at 40 MPH is 4 minutes, 30 seconds.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
True, not everyone feels safe at the posted speed and if it's construction or a new area, a person might drive slower.
I know I probably make people mad in the winter, but I am from California so I don't feel safe driving 65 on the snow, I drive as fast as I feel safe!!!

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
chefdennis wrote:

LOL, yeap just another out here making a this into a paid vacation!! :D Me persoanlly I concur!! :D

But, be aware that you are subject to the "rath" of some that feel you are not a professional and that you are doing nothing but making people believe that this is not really a business... and that anyone can do this....:eek:

Enjoy yourself, I know I do!!!:D

Yea I lay awake and toss and turn a whole 10 seconds at nite worrying about what people think of me, but thanks for the warning.

Sent from my DROID X2

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Amonger could you plz post a photo of your rig in case I'm the tt being cautious near you? At least I could wave when you honk or hold the number one sign at me....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

One of my favorite bumperstickers says "Happiness is a large & loving family - in another city."
I think it's a Ben Franklin quote [and he'd know, having spent half his life in England & France without his wife.] :D

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
OK. To get back on topic.... ;)

RV Expediter... those who drive trucks with big sleepers and small boxes... (who can't be making any real money, yet inexplicably are still out here...lol)

Professional Homeless. Those who live full time on the road.

Liar. "Anyone who does it different from the poster, and claims to make a living" :rolleyes:

Dale

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sexy Driver-I am often known as the sexy guy or the best looking driver...;) Usually the good looking one driving a sprinter with Load One on the side Unit 188 lol jk