Expediter Services leaving E-1

DragonLadyTN

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Expedite Services is moving 30 trucks from Express-1 to FedEx Custom Critical effective today! It is my understanding that this is an agreed upon change for everyone concerned.

The move does prompt me to want to take a moment to wish all my friends that are currently contractors with ES, the very best in your new adventure.

Stay in touch and above all Stay Safe!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Re: Expedite Services leaving E-1

I guess I still haven't figured out Expedite Services. I thought they sold trucks to people and helped them with the business. I didn't know they owned them as well. :confused:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

That is interesting news.

Thank you, DragonLadyTN for sharing it. Have you any comments to share as well? Lots of questions come to mind but I have no info beyond your report.

Last edited:

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

That is interesting news. Thank you, DragonLadyTN for sharing it.

I was thinking the same thing Phil. Express-1 seems to be a growing company that stock has been on the rise. Looks like they will have a very BIG class at the home office in Green. Good luck to all the drivers making a change to FedEx Custom Critical, I hope it works out for you.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I was thinking the same thing Phil. Express-1 seems to be a growing company that stock has been on the rise. Looks like they will have a very BIG class at the home office in Green. Good luck to all the drivers making a change to FedEx Custom Critical, I hope it works out for you.

Growing company aside..the rates were in the tank....I would speculate the 2 yr deal is over when they brought a snot load over...and the bonus system was not renewed. They were getting the TT fuel surcharge or could opt for 1.20 a mile.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

Growing company aside..the rates were in the tank....I would speculate the 2 yr deal is over when they brought a snot load over...and the bonus system was not renewed. They were getting the TT fuel surcharge or could opt for 1.20 a mile.

Hard to say Ken, so many things that carriers will do to get a fleet of 30 trucks. I'm sure it had to do with who was paying the best money to the truck. I know if I had that big of a fleet I would do the same thing. You can't blame the Expediters Services for going where the money is for there fleet.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hard to say Ken, so many things that carriers will do to get a fleet of 30 trucks. I'm sure it had to do with who was paying the best money to the truck. I know if I had that big of a fleet I would do the same thing. You can't blame the Expediters Services for going where the money is for there fleet.

Agreed Dave....only speculation I could have missed the mark completely...but you can be sure...it all about the money....
when one talks about the volume of trucks even a mere nickle a mile can sure add up....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Hard to tell but at those rates, it would be wise to switch. Not sure either but they might not been getting paid 100 percent for the DH either. Just a thought. Long deadheads could add up if you aren't compensated somewhere at the 1.20 rate.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hard to tell but at those rates, it would be wise to switch. Not sure either but they might not been getting paid 100 percent for the DH either. Just a thought.

The flat rate program at FedEx would be easier for them to manage their fleet.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ATeam

Retired Expediter

How long before they are at Landstar?

I think it would be difficult for any large fleet owner to put a large number of trucks on at Landstar Express America if the fleet owner's business model includes getting special deals.

Landstar's dispatch system is decentralized. Over 100 LEAM agents develop customer relationships and put loads on trucks. If any deals are made, they are made between the owner-operators and the agents that have particular loads to ship or particular customers to serve.

When the agents number over 100, and are located all over the country, and operate each in his or her own way, what agent or agents would a large fleet owner with a large number of trucks make a deal with?

Additionally, Landstar's health, safety and equipment maintenance standards are very high; higher than most other carriers. That would create a high driver recruiting bar over which a large fleet owner must leap. That too would make it difficult for a large fleet owner to bring trucks in. It's not just about the trucks. It's about the drivers too.

I might be wrong and maybe it will happen some day that a large fleet owner will bring a large number of trucks and drivers into LEAM. But with my limited understanding of the company (new to Landstar myself), I don't see how.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

I guess I still haven't figured out Expedite Services. I thought they sold trucks to people and helped them with the business. I didn't know they owned them as well. :confused:

However they may advertise it, they are strictly about one thing: Putting drivers in the seats of the largest independent expedite fleet owner in the country.

fireman08068

Seasoned Expediter

You can be sure of one thing there doing it to line there pockets only. There trucks at panther make a 1.35 mile there team drivers get 35%. I worked for them for 6 months ran pretty hard but at 17.5 a mile you cant make money.

Then when they send you to orientation they dont tell you your paying for it all. Panther tells you that the last day when its over.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

You can be sure of one thing there doing it to line there pockets only. There trucks at panther make a 1.35 mile there team drivers get 35%. I worked for them for 6 months ran pretty hard but at 17.5 a mile you cant make money.

Then when they send you to orientation they dont tell you your paying for it all. Panther tells you that the last day when its over.

I am wondering sir....a curious mind I have...one question.

What made you decide to drive for them at that rate?

fireman08068

Seasoned Expediter

Brand new to the expedite and over the road didnt know no better. I was promised the world and got nothing from them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Brand new to the expedite and over the road didnt know no better. I was promised the world and got nothing from them.

Thank you for that very honest answer....

the learning curve always takes a twist thru the wallet

fireman08068

Seasoned Expediter

I was brand new to the road and expedite so i didn't know any better. When it was offered i was told they would pay a min of 900 week. Never seen that. was averaging 400 - 500 week sometimes 200.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I was brand new to the road and expedite so i didn't know any better. When it was offered i was told they would pay a min of 900 week. Never seen that. was averaging 400 - 500 week sometimes 200.

Are you driving now?