Expectations

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Seeing many new people eager to get started and many teams.

What would intrest you to enter into this? Are you financially well off already? Do you expect to make how much after all expenses?
Can you really stand to be stuck for days with no work just looking at each other??

bruchar

Expert Expediter
Broom,
Very good questions. First and foremost it's real important to set realistic goals. Teams will do better than solos, less expensive equipment won't put you in the poor house in case there's a downturn in the economy.
More importantly, if you are a team, keep in mind an illness or injury can take you off the road in a heartbeat, will you hire someone to drive your truck or can you afford to park it while you recuperate and still be able to pay the bills.
As far as finances, although you can make a lot of money in this industry it's important to put money aside just in case and for all the reasons above. As for us we've got a kid starting college in the fall so.... no retirement for us for awhile. Sure would like to see you moderate a financial forum!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can't remeber the next step of Robert's Rules, but count me in favor of the motion, too. :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Finances are a huge part of this business. The odds of making it are not very good without a good solid plan and some money put away for a rainy day. When you have sat a few days, the stress it a lot less when you know you have a cushion. You are also in a lot better position to make sound decisions. There are some that make it with no reserves but there are sure a lot more horror stories then there are success stories. With every settlement you receive you first put money away for the rainy day that is coming then you have your fun.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
For those that cant save money for that rainy day,for those that think this is there fortune in truck driving,and are starting out on a shoe string budget,I wish the very best of luck,cause that exactly what you will need,luck you wont sit too long waiting for next load,luck that ole Mr. Murphy doesn't show his ugly head,and while your sitting waitin for your next load,your wife or co-driver doesnt quit and go to McDonalds for their next job,might even be grounds for divorce,but with all that said,if your able to stick it out,welcome,this is the best part of trucking,just keep a positive attitude,and be patient.

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
Well personally I already had a the cargo van from my plumbing business. I am used to waiting for the phone to ring with plumbing jobs. Plumbing gets pretty slow up in my neck of the woods in the winter time, so I decided to expedite hoping to cover some van payments and maybe make a little extra cash while I was waiting for plumbing jobs. I really like expediting. I cant for obvious reasons do emergency service plumbing jobs while Iam out on the road so I planned on losing a little business in that aspect. I just try to schedule all plumbing jobs that come in for the weekends IF I get a plumbing call while Iam out. I havent had to pass up many jobs though because nobody starts coming back up here really until the first holiday weekend of the year. Then I might look for someone to drive my van thru fall until everyone winterizes for the year and heads for Florida.. Maybe it will work out and maybe it wont but one way or another at least Iam sorta my own boss... I worked for the man for a long time and to be in charge of your own destiny feels great after working for someone else my whole life...Looney:D

fastrod

Expert Expediter
We got into this business because it is the easiest way to make money that we have found. We am not financially well off, but we do make alot after expenses because our expenses are low. We are not stuck for days looking at each other because we go straight back home after each run and wait there for the next one. We also have a second business to take care of when we are home. We consider each business to be part time.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Looney2's post reminded me of a conversation I had with a former plumber at an RV park in Tampa, FL last weekend. Diane and I were staying there to rest up. This man was a company driver staying there too. He was there with his tractor, wife and pit bull.

He was delighted to be out of plumbing and into trucking. He hauled reefer freight over the road in a big rig. All equipment was company-provided. He had it worked out that he would drive only in areas where he would never have to chain up. His wife is a professional writer who rides but does not drive. He happily asked, "Where else can you make a grand a week driving a truck?"

That is a before-tax number but as a company driver he had no truck ownership or operating expenses. If you are willing to live on the road as a solo expediter, the financial pros and cons of being a Class-A licensed, over-the-road company driver should be considered before you jump in.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
What would intrest you to enter into this?

Freedom - specifically the freedom to choose when, where, and what we'll run. Whether or not we are in service or out of service. Freedom to take some time off when we need or want to.

Are you financially well off already?

I wouldn't say that we are financially well off already - but we do already have two steady income sources that covers a good part of the monthly nut.

Do you expect to make how much after all expenses?

Running a Sprinter van I'd be happy with clearing an additional $35K per year, after expenses. If we can do more that would be great.

Can you really stand to be stuck for days with no work just looking at each other??

Given the nature of how we intend to operate I doubt that this will be an issue for us. If we are not running we have plenty of other things in life to keep us occupied as opposed to sitting around and staring at our navels.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
when I entered into this,seems like ages ago,but I had a friend here.
I was hauling produce,he told me he was steeling money,easiest money he ever made
so with that,we took my trailer,his truck,cause I figured if he was bragging for no reason,we could get reefer loads and do ok
well,we never turned the reefer on,hauled all expedite freight,and for 2 weeks,I would grossed about the same money,but he got to keep most of his.Took me 3 months to get on,but I've been here ever since,except for 4 seperate years,I wont go into in this forum.