Eubanks v. Panther II Transportation Inc.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Two more Eubanks settlement checks arrived for me on Monday here in MBSC. Two checks last year plus two checks this year brings total to nearly $1100.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Iron Balls McGinty... one dollar and NINE CENTS

Damm that was classic. :)

OK, that went right over my head, [but when you're 5'2", what doesn't?] but I bet it's like the novel QBXII, where the plaintiff who sued for slander wins, and the jury awards him what his reputation is worth: 1 cent.
Whatever, it's nice to see something bring you guys out of the woodwork, lol.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
OK, that went right over my head, [but when you're 5'2", what doesn't?] but I bet it's like the novel QBXII, where the plaintiff who sued for slander wins, and the jury awards him what his reputation is worth: 1 cent.
Whatever, it's nice to see something bring you guys out of the woodwork, lol.

It's from The Jerk. One of the best movies, IMO, before they censored it.

And yes, that was one thing that could bring me out of the woodwork. I thought I was done with this place.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The protagonist in The Jerk loses a class action lawsuit. Each plaintiff gets a paltry $1.09. The lawyers got rich, of course. Iron Balls McGinty was somehow also awarded money, because the protagonist kicked him in the groin, injuring his foot in the process, because, well, he wasn't called Iron Balls McGinty for nothing. After losing the lawsuit, the protagonist was shown writing numerous checks, all for $1.09.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I drove for Panther for awhile, [an ex Con, like Turtle & Moot] but I never filed for the class action suit - figured $1.09 would be about all I could expect, cause I didn't stay long. El Gato Negro was not a lucky one for me.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
♪♪♫♪♫ The wheels on the bus go round and round ♫♪ round and round ♫♪ round and round ♪♪♫♪

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
hey its ca$h and it didn't cost you a cent...someone else took them on and you get a few bucks you never had before....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
hey its ca$h and it didn't cost you a cent...someone else took them on and you get a few bucks you never had before....
The people that were leased to Panther during the time covered by this lawsuit were cheated out of money they earned. If Mr. Eubanks and his attorneys didn't have enough evidence of wrong doing, Panther would have told them to go hump a wheel chock.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The people that were leased to Panther during the time covered by this lawsuit were cheated out of money they earned. If Mr. Eubanks and his attorneys didn't have enough evidence of wrong doing, Panther would have told them to go hump a wheel chock.

Exactly!!!!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

That is probably true although I mindful that the minute you have a lawsuit it can be beneficial to do a payoff to make it go away. Why would I say that? If a carrier decided to fight this type of claim, it opens up more doors in which to litigate on. That can be pricey to say the least. There is a reason in that decision that one can not sue later for issues covering the dates that the lawsuit entailed. Or, not wanting to complicate the simple, they didn't want anyone prying into how they did anything else.
With that said, we did quite well with our recovery. Got plenty to buy that dollar store lamp. :cool:

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That is probably true although I mindful that the minute you have a lawsuit it can be beneficial to do a payoff to make it go away. Why would I say that? If a carrier decided to fight this type of claim, it opens up more doors in which to litigate on. That can be pricey to say the least. There is a reason in that decision that one can not sue later for issues covering the dates that the lawsuit entailed. Or, not wanting to complicate the simple, they didn't want anyone prying into how they did anything else.
With that said, we did quite well with our recovery. Got plenty to buy that dollar store lamp. :cool:

"The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all I need."

Looks like you're set, Dave; once you pick up the chair and magazine. :cool: