essentials

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
as a newbie would somone be able to give me the most important things i would need to bring with me out on the road

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Money and patience will be two of the most important things to bring out on the road.

Three categories of stuff come to mind. Personal belongings, business tools and vehicle tools. This list is, by no means, all inclusive so other folks have a chance to include their favorites.

Business tools you'll need include:

Paper or electronic record keeping materials,
Road atlas and or GPS gadget,
Envelope/stamps, BOL's,
receipt container,
clipboard, pens, notepaper,
DOT regulations , Hazmat guide, placards/holder

Personal belongings

Clothing for 7 day minimum (laundymat on weekend)
Reading material,
Cooler, portapot,
Satellite radio, TV/dvd player

Truck tools

Reflective triangles,
Flashlight,
Toobox, with spare of each lamp type, and each fuse type
One each of all your filters
B:C Fire Extinguisher
Duct tape

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't forget the wd40. If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it should move and it doesn't, wd40 it. Two tools, total solutions. Not really, but sometimes a useful theory.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
Expediters Online.com - The Best is Getting Better!
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
For your personal stuff, put everything you think you need in a pile, then leave half of it at home. Next time you come home, you will leave half of the stuff you took with you. Eventually you'll have what you actually need.

:+ :+

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wouldn't leave without my cell phone & debit/credit card - also my laptop, but it isn't strictly necessary, I'm just getting spoiled! I just found a sheet-fed scanner the size of a roll of aluminum foil, that means I don't need to have a copy of the BOL (no more looking for a copy machine), I just scan it before I turn in the paperwork. Now, as soon as I learn how to back up all the
copies, I'll be all set! :p One more thing: Since you don't know if you'll be in Miami or Maine, it's a good idea to take clothes you can layer, like t shirts & flannel shirts, long pants that convert to shorts with an unzip, etc. A hanging garment bag has room for everything, (if it won't fit inside, you can hang stuff on the outside, too), and hanging things up is a good use of limited space. Having duplicates of things like toothbrush, etc, means less packing, so whatever you can afford to keep two of, means never leaving it in the house when you have to fly out the door. Good luck!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When we first started, we brought too much stuff with us. If we had it to do over again, we'd bring as little as possible with us, a wallet full of cash, and we'd plan a trip home and a couple days off there after 60 days on the road. The money would enable you to pick up any essential items, most of which you could find at Wal-mart. With 60 days under your belt, you'll have a better idea of what to bring and what to leave behind.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i drive a sprinter van and started out with a roll-away bed, micriwave, fridge, tv, etc etc.. now everything is sitting in my garage except the roll-away bed....for me its much easier to go to a fast food restaurant and get my meal to go plus i can keep my cholesterol level higher...i do carry clothes, personal hygeine,and snacks with me at all times, usually it costs me about a 100.00 a week to eat on the road...showers etc...i put 99% of everything on my cabalas charge card and pay the balance in full every month...that way its basically interest free, and i get 1% towards future purchases , since june 05 i have 150.00 worth of store credit..i see a new hunting rifle or bow in the near future..imagine what you could have if you you used is too fuel a straight truck for a year???

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
don't for get a sents of humor to and a good alarm clock to

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
a pushmower. if you can't get a load you can ALWAYS find a lawn to mow.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
If you wear eye glasses, don't forget a spare pair of glasses. If you take any prescriptions medication, be sure you keep it in the original container, or at least have the container in the truck.

:+ :+

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, now for my 2 cents worth.... tools... Vise Grips and an adjustable wrench... screw drivers, needle-nose pliers, and while I saw flashlights mentioned... I didn't see batteries mentioned - the flashlights great, however it's no fun to be working in/on the engine or trying to trouble shoot a problem at nite and the light goes dead on you. Take batteries with you, when you pop open that new package - the next day go get a replacement package, always have an unopened pack of batteries. D, and double A batteries are most common for many lights. I've used my big MAG light (that takes 4 D batteries) to knock ice and snow off the trucks and busses - so they do have more than one use - also comes in handy to knock some sense into somebody that may or may not require it<-Story for another time.
I take clothes for 7 to 10 days minimum, and I carry enough whites (socks and stuff) for 14 days. Shorts are good to have all the time, even in the dead of winter - when you're toasty warm in the rig you don't have to be wearing jeans. Kleenex are good to have along to clean eyeglasses. Paper towels, wet wipes are good to wipe face off in the morning with, and they're also good to use to wipe the dirt/road dust off that builds up inside the truck, a small garbage can and plenty of garbage bags to keep things neat, windex (or some other kind of glass cleaner) to clean glass, mirrors, and the interior of the rig.

Rags to clean the rig and some kind of hand cleaner similar to Go-Jo, and writing pads of all shapes and sizes and good ink pens are also good items to have along. Blankets, sleeping bag, good pillow, a decent spair pair of tennis shoes...
and the rest you'll figure out along the way.
"BBB"

terryandcandace

Expert Expediter
RE: Sheet-fed scanner

WHERE, OH WHERE dd you locate the sheet-fed scanner -- the size of alum foil box? Been looking - at OD, OM, Staples & no one has even heard of it. I knew eventually I'd run into someone who did, but you are the first who has mentioned it. Saw one at a truck show 2 years ago, but wasn't ready to sign up for CPA monthly service at the time. Now, just need the compact scanner on board. Model # and vendor source would be VERY helpful. Thanks.:)

terryandcandace

Expert Expediter

TY! - right in r backyard - Lebanon, TN. Will hit the store next home time. Can't beat the $$$ either. CR

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

>compusa in nashville has'em; $150
>
>http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?No=20&N=200045

I tried the link and couldn't find a compact one for $150 on there. I also tried searching for stock number 200045 with no luck. I did however find this one and if you search 50240464 it comes up that way too. I'm going to get something and scan my copies of BOL etc. in the future.

Strobe XP100 Mobile Scanner
Manufacturer: Visioneer
Mfg Part #: SXP 100
Product Number: 50240464
$188.99

I'm kind of leaning toward something like this because of multi-function and pricing.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3918247

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
-----

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Leo: try again. It's model #50563910 at $148.99 (I rounded up) on the same page as the link.

Lots of scanners at CompUSA but TandC wanted a sheet fed scanner not a full sheet flat one.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I saw that one but it will only do about driver's license size documents up to 4.13 x 5.83 inches. I was focused on full sheet size units so I skipped over it.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
-----

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

OOPS. I didn't look at the document size. That model wouldn't be very useful for terryandcandice