Entering the USA

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'd like to draw members attention to the Border Crossings Forum. It appears that US Customs are enforcing the ACE regulations and returning drivers to Canada if the entries are not set up properly. This is for US bound freight.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Thank's Rob
We turned down a decent paying load to Ontario yesterday because we have a harder time returning to the good ole US than we do entering Canada.
We do not yet have US passports and I believe it has come time to have same for reentry...
Anyone have the latest info?
Mike and Cyn

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Mike you may have a reason that you don't have a passport but I find that there are a lot of expediters who won't get one and make a big deal out of it. I am still trying to figure out what the big deal is with people getting their passports?

I mean it is easy to do; get a picture at Walgreens, Riteaid or CVS, go to the post office with your birth certificate and other ID and the pictures, fill out the form and pay the fee then go back home and wait for it.

I would recommend everyone who thinks that they may go to Canada or Mexico, just get one.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I see a problem with it. We're turning into a society that'll be based on "Papuz pleez".

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
So what else is new?????
We have all been bitc--ng
about the U.S side of the border ever since 9/11.
It is here to stay.
SO GET USED TO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is nothing you can do except
DON'T TAKE ANY LOADS TO CANADA
THAT SIMPLE.

Mike
Whitewolf 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Thank's Rob
>We turned down a decent paying load to Ontario yesterday
>because we have a harder time returning to the good ole US
>than we do entering Canada.
>We do not yet have US passports and I believe it has come
>time to have same for reentry...
>Anyone have the latest info?
>Mike and Cyn

The Passport regulation has been delayed for at least another year.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Could explain ACE regulations?

David; I posted a link in the thread about being turned back at the border.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>So what else is new?????
>We have all been bitc--ng
>about the U.S side of the border ever since 9/11.
>It is here to stay.
>SO GET USED TO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>There is nothing you can do except
>DON'T TAKE ANY LOADS TO CANADA
>THAT SIMPLE.
>
>Mike
>Whitewolf 53
>
>HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD

Mike: There is something you can do.
Get familiar with latest US Customs regulations and follow them.
Why cut down on potenial earning ability by always refusing Canada.
Some drivers refuse haz-mat too; so when the next load out is Haz-Mat to Canada lots of drivers will turn it down ...and continue to sit.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
easy to stay out of canada
53' trailer + tractor with wheelbase over 244"
equals $10000 fine
no border crossing for me ;)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i like way egl does canada take if to buffalo, new york and canadian egl driver takes it rest of the way

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
After reading about what all you people are going thru with these crossings no one has even mentioned your dispatch!

Does not your dispatch do anything?

Our company, we fax the paperwork to them and THEY fax it to the right broker and confirm reception and then check what time we can cross and get release numbers and all. We do not approach the crossing till dispatch gives us the green light.
If theres a problem that I didn't see on the original paperwork they can get them fixed while on route.....This is why we pay them!
I've seen so many drivers literally stranded by there dispatch, I find this completely unprofessional and reflects badly on any company that does not back up thier drivers.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Nicely said. These new regs for the US boarder have had an amazing effect in Canada on the small carriers like IBCL who no longer take loads to the US. This leaves these loads for the companies like FedexCC, Dynamix, DECExpress, K-Dac etc. Some of these smaller outfits were going to the US for peanuts and could undercut the big boys and the drivers liked the money, but the new regs at the border and in Michigan have cut the number of drivers crossing. So now the loads go like they should.
Some of you should be looking at the opportunity these changes have made available to u.
Yes the crossing has become more hassle, utilize the preclearance system and all other resources at your disposal to help may your entry to the US as smooth as possible.
Rob Fis

darkunicorn

Seasoned Expediter
I was told that if you had a fast card didn't need no passport and that the customs agents are pushing to keep it that way would rather we all get fast approved than a passport its more thorough and lots harder to get.

Alvin

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Of course, it's nice to have the details handled by dispatch, but really: if you have to fax the paperwork anyhow, wouldn't you feel better doing it yourself? I do, because the more parties involved, the more chance for a miscommunication. I want to hear with my own ears, and I want to learn what I need to verify, so that dispatch can focus on something that I can't do - like book my next load, lol. ;)

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
I don't have a problem going in or comming out of Canada

I fax the paper work at the shipper my self

I call the broker my self.

At the border while all the others are getting held up

I go through.

Yes I have a fast card but unless Your on a Fast Load you dont use it or the fast lane, also if you run team your co driver has to have one as well.

Do I like going to Canada nope.

Do I like Comming Back to the States Yup

Do I like the hard time I get comming back to the States nope.

Do I do it yup.

So What do I do? Show them My green Card and i can get through
Oh sorry Should have said my Military Retainer ID card, Not actualy retired till my 30 mark but I serverd for 23 with honors.

Ok now just stand in line and wait your turn next.

By the way, Ive seen quite a few Streached Tractors up in Canada
next time Im up there I'll take some pic of em.

Have a Safe one

kevin

:p :p
[email protected]

are12

Expert Expediter
We have our Fast cards and show them along with our Driver's License. Normally they do not ask any questions - just tell us to have a good day and send us on our way.