English, anywhere but here

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am one who struggles with English due to being educated in public schools and this is the reason I strongly feel we need to eliminate public schools but that is another thread for another time. My extent of English education during my school years up to my graduation was less than my niece had in grade school and it was only in College that I was given a second chance by a rather odd professor who I truly think was Hemmingway himself (looks, attitude and writing).

But I think that my example still applies to many students in the school systems today and especially with immigrants (not invaders) and urban minorities, no one really seems to care. The former are not required to learn English to enter this country but the latter has been ignoring everything to create a situation where we now have schools telling the teachers not to correct the students English grammar because of fear of being called racist and to the extent that a few schools are studying the ‘new urban’ English to see if it can be taught in all schools (by the way being paid for by our tax dollars).

So after that intro, here is the problem – we in this country do not believe in a single language to improve the country but China has been pushing forward with improving their English speaking skills in preparation of the 2008 Olympics.

They have been telling people in Beijing that you learn English properly or you can’t do business here, example taxi drivers must pass an English test to keep their licenses.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No argument here - I get annoyed everytime I hear "Press one for English" when I call a business or organization. I've never pressed any other number, but if it were up to me, the response would be "Hang up & call back when you learn English!"
It never ceased to amaze me when a non English speaking person was admitted to the hospital, and the family expected excellent care, and the staff certainly would have liked to provide it, except none of us happened to speak Farsi. Or Urdu. Or even "urban English", which is an oxymoron, if you ask me.
The lack of an official requirement for speaking a common language is an issue that needs to be addressed, because it's critical to our success as individuals, and as a country, IMO.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All things considered, I'd rather learn to speak French! ;) And BTW: who's Barbara Billingsly?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
French? Why and what form?

I think that Klingon is a more useful language :p

You got to be kidding me, who's Barbara Billingsly?

Oh come on Cheri.... Leave it to ..... ?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Highway Star, that was a great scene from the movie "Airplane".

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
"Press 1 for English."
"Press 2 to learn English."

That scene in Airplane was awesome! "Excuse me, stewardess. I speak jive." :7

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh, THAT'S who Barbara Billingsly is! There are so many screamingly funny scenes in Airplane! it's hard to pick a favorite, but I'd vote for the "Suckerware party", myself...course, you guys have probably never been to a Tupperware party, and didn't think the idea was as funny as I did...:p
Any movie that you have to see a second time, to catch the stuff you missed while you were laughing the first time, is a great movie!