Electric chair to return

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Our evolution in terms of harnessing technology seems to far exceeded our evolution in terms of our own humanity.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
but, going back to electrocution? Whats next - ?

I have an idea - - - eliminate the practice!

As long a people commit outrageous crimes it will exist. While I may agree with the idea, it is just not going to happen. The need for revenge it too great. So is the need to protect.

There is not need to murder or rape either, all the programs and hand wringing has not stopped it, and nothing will.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Legum (@ Wonkette) strikes again:

ON TOP OF OLD SPARKY
10:00 AM MAY 23, 2014

TENNESSEE BRINGS BACK ELECTRIC CHAIR BECAUSE SETTING PEOPLE ON FIRE IS AWESOME

by GARY LEGUM

Gosh, was it only three weeks ago we were talking about the botched execution by lethal injection of Clayton Lockett, which led to talking about how horrible the electric chair is, which is why only a handful of states use it to execute people anymore, and even then only if the prisoner selects it over lethal injection (a real Sophie’s Choice, we know). As terrible as lethal injection is, it doesn't regularly set people on fire, which is such an aesthetically unpleasant way to kill someone. Which is why states have turned to the injection method – no muss, no fuss, just stick in the needle and watch 'em go. Unless they blow out a vein or the state is trying some secretive, untested drug cocktail because more humane countries than ours that manufacture the drugs used in lethal injections won’t sell them to the U.S. if they are going to be used in executions.

Well, screw those humane nations right in their hippie-loving hearts, the state of Tennessee won’t stand for such nonsense. Won't let 'em have the drugs? Tennessee will go back to electrocuting people. Stick that in your peace pipe and smoke it, Europe.

Last night Governor Bill Haslam signed a law passed by both houses of the state legislature last month with overwhelming majorities, which would compel execution via electric chair if lethal injection drugs aren't available. What's weird about this is that Tennessee is not a death-penalty happy state on the order of Texas or Virginia. In fact, only six prisoners have been executed there since 1960. Even subtracting the six years in the '70s that executions were declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, that’s quite a record for a red state.

Tennessee must have been getting tired of the backlog, because last year Attorney General Robert Cooper requested in one fell swoop that the state Supreme Court set execution dates for 10 prisoners sitting on Death Row. The sudden bloodlust may have had something to do with the state finally coming up with a death protocol using a drug it could actually get its hands on, and also because one inmate – Paul Dennis Reid Jr., who had been convicted of killing seven fast-food workers in 1997 – died of natural causes in a hospital, peacefully, before the state could make him really suffer. People in Tennessee were apparently very upset by this.

The last prisoner to be killed in an electric chair was Daryl Holton and he was the first electrocution in the state in almost 40 years. So it's not as if the state has a lot of experience in this area, which increases the risks any electrocutions will be botched. Good news, though: according to Wikipedia, Fred Leuchter is still alive.

Or the state could join much of the civilized world and ban executions…HAHAHAHAHA, no.
Tennessee Brings Back Electric Chair Because Setting People On Fire Is Awesome

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Why do it halfway? Let's make all executions public, and attendance mandatory. Heck - let's bring back gladiators, and burning women at the stake - that's guaranteed to be a big crowd pleaser in a lot of states [yes, Texas, I'm talking about you]!

Really: the 'need' for vengeance is something a civilized society does it's best to suppress, not encourage, or they don't deserve the appellation.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
The biggest problem with any capital punishment.. is innocent people..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Why do it halfway? Let's make all executions public, and attendance mandatory. Heck - let's bring back gladiators, and burning women at the stake - that's guaranteed to be a big crowd pleaser in a lot of states [yes, Texas, I'm talking about you]!

Really: the 'need' for vengeance is something a civilized society does it's best to suppress, not encourage, or they don't deserve the appellation.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Sure: for the innocent people, but I've come to think the biggest problem with capital punishment is that it's wrong to say "Do not kill", and then make exceptions.
Even for war, and self defense - if we were truly a moral people, we'd find a way to disable our 'enemies' without killing them.
Vengeance feels better: when we're hurt, we want to hurt right back, just like a little kid.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

The biggest problem with a lack of capital punishment is guilty people offending again.

There is NO perfect solution and ALL solutions end with the death of innocents.

It's kind of like vaccinating. Some believe that vaccinations cause other problems, like autism. Others believe that the do not. We cannot vaccinate and the chance they cause autism is ended, but smallpox, polio and whopping cough, will return, and will kill, without a doubt, again.

Right now, there is no in between, vaccinate and risk other problems, don't vaccinate and ensure death from disease.

We need a third, worry free, option. As of now, that does not exist. We COULD put those who would be sentenced to death, into lifetime solitary, which would go a long way to solving both problems, but, that is too cruel.

Call me when you have a REAL answer.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We COULD put those who would be sentenced to death, into lifetime solitary, which would go a long way to solving both problems, but, that is too cruel.
I don't think those of us that are against the death penalty would object to this.

The guilty must be punished and punished severely.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think those of us that are against the death penalty would object to this.

The guilty must be punished and punished severely.

You and I would not be opposed to putting those who need it into solitary, BUT, it will never be allowed. It would be deemed too cruel.

You also misunderstand something, I am not "for" the death penalty. I am AGAINST giving certain people ANY chance to kill/rape etc ever again. I don't give a flip how it's done, just get it done. That does not ONLY mean killing/raping outside of prison, NO guard, inmate or anyone who may be in that prison should be in danger. I am for any idea that comes up, as long as there is ZERO chance for them to repeat.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, I got that a long time ago.

There are those that believe Death is the only answer, however.

Right now, it IS the only 100% sure way to prevent repeat offending. There is almost nothing being done to change that by those opposed to the death penalty. They want the penalty stopped, and that's it. There is little concern shown for what takes place after.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Right now, it IS the only 100% sure way to prevent repeat offending. There is almost nothing being done to change that by those opposed to the death penalty. They want the penalty stopped, and that's it. There is little concern shown for what takes place after.
Like you said, There is no answer to a very complicated problem.

With that said, I still prefer to err on the side of caution.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Like you said, There is no answer to a very complicated problem.

With that said, I still prefer to err on the side of caution.

No, you only err on ONE side, that is where you and I differ. There should also be NO chance of a guard or other inmates being harmed. NOTHING is being done. Solitary with NO chance of ever touching someone else would be a start. Your way MAY stop one kind of mistake, but, the other "mistakes" are ignored. It has to be 100% safe, just as you would want a 100% no chance of killing an innocent person. Extreme solitary would take it to about 98%, which is likely as good as it would get. It will never happen and the deaths will continue.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sure: for the innocent people, but I've come to think the biggest problem with capital punishment is that it's wrong to say "Do not kill", and then make exceptions.

Like innocent babies you mean? Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Like innocent babies you mean? Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

Regardless of what side of the fence you are, that does pose a interesting question. If someone is against the death penalty, how do they reconcile that with approval of abortion?
The idea is to keep from harming the innocent. Might be some interesting responses?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's just it. There is no reconciliation. It's a mental flaw and/or a character flaw in those people. To say it's fine to murder innocent babies but wrong to kill guilty criminals shows a fatal flaw in thinking or character or both. They'll come back with all sorts of excuses and bs but none of it matters. They are wrong. Always have been and always will be. No matter how much they argue. They're wrong. Abortion is wrong. Capital punishment of the positively guilty is right. Period.