EEOC and Bass Pro

Camper

Not a Member
The simple, common sense fact is that fishing and hunting are recreational interests of an element that's predominately white male. That being said, the racial make up of any store that caters to this niche is bound to reflect that of said niche. Therefor, common sense would dictate that most of the employees are going to be white men- nothing newsworthy. I'm hard pressed to believe there are many african americans chomping at the bit to work for Bass Pro or Cabela's. I'm sure most of them would agree this charge by the EEOC is bogus.

This is either a case of a beaucracy being out of touch with reality or an effort on the EEOCs part to drum up controversy in a lame attempt to justify its existence.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
HTML:
The simple, common sense fact is that fishing and hunting are recreational interests of an element that's predominately white male. That being said, the racial make up of any store that caters to this niche is bound to reflect that of said niche. Therefor, common sense would dictate that most of the employees are going to be white men- nothing newsworthy. I'm hard pressed to believe there are many african americans chomping at the bit to work for Bass Pro or Cabela's. I'm sure most of them would agree this charge by the EEOC is bogus.

This is either a case of a beaucracy being out of touch with reality or an effort on the EEOCs part to drum up controversy in a lame attempt to justify its existence. 

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App[/QUOTE]
   I thought expediting was a all white male recreational interest type of job .  I dont really see many African Americans chomping at the bit to do Expediting either.  Are we not recreational drivers so to speak, Im just saying, I have been in error b 4 on the planet IMHO.  

[ATTACH]2775[/ATTACH]
  was a good lunch

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am in need of a new sleeping bag for the van...I'll be spending that money at Bass Pro...screw the Fed Gov and the EEOC...

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
But crap T-Hawk, this started a while ago with the EEOC, I don't see it being because of guns or bibles.

In this case, it goes back to 2005, long before Obama. If you read the case file, there is a lot of things that point to the guilt of management not to correct the problems that were being complained about back before Obama took office. From retaliation of employees to destroying of records before the investigation took place.

I can't see this as a politically motivated hate fest of any industry or targeting people who enjoy hunting. Just the opposite, if any of this is found to be true, then pro bass was preventing people from entering any sport by limiting those who interface with customers to be white.

On top of that, the comment made is insulting, it shows the level of maturity of the pro bass people. The HR VP's comments show that there could be some arrogance and guilt that may prove the complaint as valid by deflecting it to a political move on the administrations part.

Ok lets look at the case file

Bass Pro rejected minority applicants, feds allege - Houston Chronicle

Sure seems like a bunch of he said she said to me.With the government taking the side of the so called victims.

Also sure seems like the EEOC takes on alot more cases then you want us to belive.

Litigation Statistics

Table B-8 Complaints Filed Bases and Issues - Grand Total

According to lawyers from EEOC their evidence against bass is about the number os white workers compared to black workers

James Sacher, the regional attorney for the EEOC responded, "I don't know where these comments are coming from."

The EEOC, he said, has statistical evidence based on the number of minority employees working for the company that Bass Pro has employed discriminatory hiring procedures.

Sacher told The Christian Post, "We believe there is a profound underutilization of minority applicants at such a high degree that the likelihood that could happen absent of discrimination is infinitesimal

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"BUT see it is a store chain, they have more than 25 employees and may be a publicly traded company - all of which means they work under different rules and regulations. It isn't the store manager who has the final say so in what his approach can or can't be in hiring people, that is something that is beyond his ability to do and he has a legal limitation that prevents him from discriminating against anyone - including the ones who show up in ripped up jeans and shirts. "

WRONG! I was hired right on the spot. I hired right off handed in apps. They may be a national chain, they ARE publically traded, BUT and this IS IMPORTANT, the industry is LOCAL. Fishing in MN is VASTLY different than fishing in Michigan. Ever when fishing for the same speices.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with discrimination. Even in hiring. IF I chose to hire a local who knows my business over a local who does not, that is discrimination. I most certinally discriminate and NOT hire dirty, messy people. I can discriminate by the ability to speak the language, regardless of what the government may say on that.

Hiring always uses discrimination to weed out those who do not fit the needed mold.

I don't believe for one second that Bass Pro partakes in ILLEGAL discrimination, such as race. I have taken, and passed their test. I would have been hired if I chose to work for them. The test was ALMOST as extensive as Cabela's test was. I passe that one too. As hard as they are to pass I just cannot see them turning down any applicant with that level of knowlage assuming they met all other needs.

I have NO problem with a policy that does not allow for felons to work around firearms. I would not hire one with a record of shoplifting, theft, embezzelment etc.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK what ever you want to beleive, I guess it is right then that I beleive that we should end social security becuase I feel the old farts had a chance to save money instead of buying those toys and putting food on the table.

No matter how you want to look at it, discrimination hurts all of us, not just the blacks of hispanics but also the old people and the 'tweeners who can't find a job. I can see where we can tolerate a form of it by a small company but bass pro and those others are not little businesses and it needs to follow the same rules as we expect GM and Pfizer to follow with no exceptions.

AND I chalk it up to the same old crap, no one seems to understand the reasoning behind the action but takes the word of an idiot - the HR VP who I would have fired for even going public in the shadow of litigation. He makes it clear that bass pro just doesn't care about anything other than sales - period.

Oh maybe you missed the retaliation part, you know the employees who were trying to do the right thing but the managers from the HR VP down who went after them for opening their mouths during the investigation. It seems that is another reason to fire the idiot.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No Greg, you are wrong about discrimination. There are some types of discrimination that have been made illegal, most types are not. Now, I have little doubt that our government would LOVE to expand the list of "bad discrimination" so they could force employers to hire people that do not meet the needs of the company. I mean, after all, congress has a MUCH better idea of who Bass Pro needs working for them than Bass Pro does. Just as congress has a MUCH better idea about what people should be paid than business owners do.

Any employer that is NOT discriminating in there hiring practices will not be in business long.

Any person who is NOT discriminating in their lives are likely to end up in trouble.

A GOOD example of not using proper discrimination properly is the housing mess. We USED to discriminate on the basis of being able to pay back a mortgage. The results of not discriminating have cost us billions.

Camper

Not a Member
No Greg, you are wrong about discrimination. There are some types of discrimination that have been made illegal, most types are not. Now, I have little doubt that our government would LOVE to expand the list of "bad discrimination" so they could force employers to hire people that do not meet the needs of the company. I mean, after all, congress has a MUCH better idea of who Bass Pro needs working for them than Bass Pro does. Just as congress has a MUCH better idea about what people should be paid than business owners do.

Any employer that is NOT discriminating in there hiring practices will not be in business long.

Any person who is NOT discriminating in their lives are likely to end up in trouble.

A GOOD example of not using proper discrimination properly is the housing mess. We USED to discriminate on the basis of being able to pay back a mortgage. The results of not discriminating have cost us billions.

I wonder if he thinks the NFL is wrongfully discriminating against women too.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No Greg, you are wrong about discrimination.

Nope not wrong, the use of the words you are using are ... by the way.

There are some types of discrimination that have been made illegal, most types are not.

OK so let's see ...

you judge the person's ability to do the job by the color of their skin - is that right?

You judge the person's ability to do the job by their gender - it that right?

You judge the person's ability to do the job by the way they are dressed - is that right?

You judge the person's ability to do the job by their age - is that right?

Everything that I asked there is done by seeing the person and using either stereo types or preconceived notions about the person who is applying. Most of them are types of discrimination that exists and the laws are made to make it an equal playing field in our country. I know there are others, people don't like them Italians so someone with an Italian name may be ignored for a job or told to look elsewhere but I have not seen a law that prevents that, have you?

Now, I have little doubt that our government would LOVE to expand the list of "bad discrimination" so they could force employers to hire people that do not meet the needs of the company. I mean, after all, congress has a MUCH better idea of who Bass Pro needs working for them than Bass Pro does.

Well I guess that the company wants to have white hick looking people to sell their products, it is their right to do so and maybe they can justify it but on the other hand, you and others seem to put a political spin on the issue without reading the actual issues and more importantly siding with the idiot HR VP. The issue isn't really the discrimination part, it is the investigation part and how Pro Bass people treated employees who were witness to the problems - a very bad thing. It goes to the credibility of the HR VP and others who has a hand in destroying evidence while it was being investigated. No matter if you side with the idiots who run the business based on your sportsman kinship or because you think it is an attack by the Obama administration to destroy hunting and all that, the real problem is that you are condoning everything they did so far including the discrimination which is the least of the issues involved.

Just as congress has a MUCH better idea about what people should be paid than business owners do.

Well that's a completely different subject and has zero to do with the subject.

What?!? Did I step back into 1917 in the south?

WOW!

OK I guess if that's the way you want to think, you have that right but see Layout, I can't and fought against this BS way of thinking. I thought that went out in the 1960's when people actually realized that people who were different were not like Martians.

I remember being in Kentucky back in the 80's when a Arby's just hired their first black person and the reaction to that was understandable but rather mind blowing. Here are people who refused to even step in the store because they felt it was wrong to hire anyone black person and this was in a county that was "dry". It was sad, really sad to see that reaction but hell it was a way of life for them.

Well you are twisting something up there.

The discrimnation you are talking about is not based on the skin color nor gender or anything else, it is a financial decision based on risks which is a completely different thing altogether. If I don't like the way you look, as an individual, I can say no but as a company who is incorporated, with lots of employees, I can't.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A SMART person discriminates against criminals, for example. You are who you hang with. There is NOTHING wrong with being a discriminating person. Keeps one out of trouble.

No I do NOT discriminate by color, age, country of origin, religion or sexual orientation. Those types of "discrimination" are both stupid and illegal. That type of "discrimination" will eliminate quality people. I don't need a "law" to tell me that. Never did.

As an employer I DO discriminate, by qualification for the job(s) being hired for, the ability to use Standard American English within accepted norms, to include reading, writing, speaking and understanding the spoken word. I do discriminate by appearance (within certain self imposed limits) It has been my experience that a person who shows up for an interview dressed like a slob, dirty etc, will not work to the levels that I expect. Same goes for inapporpriate dress, like mini-skirts, "muscle shirts" skin tight clothing etc. I has been my experience that people who dress like that for an interview are "lacking" in ability.

I NEVER said that I would discriminate against color etc. I also do not believe, based on my personal experience with Bass Pro and the industry in general that any of the 3 or 4 main retailers in that business do.

When I hired I expected the following: the applicant meets the minimum standards of the jobs applied for. They were physically and mentally capable of performing required jobs duties. They displayed an attitude that lead me to believe that they were both willing to work and willing to go that "extra mile" to insure a customer was taken care of.

As far as my hiring at Gander for MY fishing department ( I called it "mine" since I was responsible for the performance of it and I take personal pride in a job well done) I would often be able to ask ONE question of an applicant, IF they knew the answer to that ONE question (without the assistance of looking it up on the internet or history books) I KNEW that they both knew and understood the "River". You see either you know what you are talking about, or you don't. ) I cut some slack on that question if they were teenagers. They have to start somewhere)

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
Makes you think dont it.I mean when a person that finds so much wrong with the government is willing to take them at their word as facts.I know I know but there are workers that seen and heard it happen.There has never been a worker cry wolf befor either.