Earning Your Wings

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Small celebration going on here tonight at the old homestead. Just completed 6 months experience in a straight truck, and it was not without many challenges. However, the trials did not come due to trucking, per say....it was the teaming aspect as noted in other posts. Ya, I whined a bit.

Recognized right away this forum is not for whiners, it's for those who get up and doing. Most members are very positive and happy to assist in specific questions toward all aspects; be it ST, Sprinter Van, or TT. It''s an excellent place to be, and being a newbie myself? All the better.

Maturity means you deal with the grouchy or obstinate shipper, the dispatcher who could care less today, the O/O who does not understand your current plight, the break down which came at the absolute worst time, and all manner of things unknown. Just tell yourself your going to make it, no matter what.

As for teaming? I'll never allow an O/O or trucking company to choose my partner again. The point being, the above aspect of trucking is simply not that tough and only represented around 25% of the headache. That leaves 75% frustration (I'm real good at math) dealing with another person not of your choice. THAT is tough.

New position has this person in a Sprinter Van. Whole new ballgame and I'll be leaning on persons here for the new venture. Got to run solo for one week in the ST and really enjoyed it. The freedom, the sights, sounds, and scenery are well worth the small headaches of the aforementioned.

Guess I looked up to the people here because they did they're time and are now happy for the most part. Personally, I look forward to the new venture knowing I did my time and made it. So, from one slightly advanced newbie to the real deal, do what it takes, and if you team drive for your wings? Know there are those who've gone before and if anyone doubts you can make it. Tell em what I do:

"It might have been a problem...for a lesser man"

Thanks to all.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It sounds to me that you got this far not because you focused on the problems but because you focused on the solutions.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Congratulations on sticking it out for 6 months doing the team thing. Running solo isn't all fun and games though. Some day soon you will get into a serious disagreement with yourself. This will lead to a physical fight and one of you will take a whoopin'!

Monty

Expert Expediter
I was watching tv the other night, ironworkers on the Weather Channel, when one of them said something I liked.

"There are no problems, only solutions!"

Good advise in any situation.

Congratulations on finding the "solution" rather than concentrating on the problem! You'll go far.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Congrats, Maverick! Six months doesn't sound that long - to someone who's never been there, done that, lol. It's a loooong time to be tied to someone who drives you nuts though.
The bad news is that now you don't get to blame the other guy when things go wrong - unless you go all Sybil, and develop a few new personalities [stop that! It's my turn to talk!] to deal with it.

PS Don't listen to her^^, she's a crazy lady. We know.
;)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Congratulations on sticking it out for 6 months doing the team thing. Running solo isn't all fun and games though. Some day soon you will get into a serious disagreement with yourself. This will lead to a physical fight and one of you will take a whoopin'!

Send me the video!!!! I gotta see this!

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Maverick, First off Congrats on your six months!
Second teaming is tough but it is done everyday. Don't judge it all bad because of one experiance if u get the right person it can be rewarding. Both drivers have to give and take you know work together and trust each other. Not that you should run out and team anytime soon but you never know what is up ahead. However I know you will enjoy that solo gig I just hope the money is good enough to meet your needs. Best of luck to you and keep the shiney side up.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Post edited to proclaim the following "would not allow an O/O or trucking company to choose team partner". Nice points by all commentators and your right Moot.....reality will set in while the two little guys sitting atop your shoulder shout into opposite ears. I think that's what may have happened to Cheri? All those voices in your head......;) Pssstt, Cheri, if there's more than two voices, time to get rid of the imposters.

There is more to this story than just having to team and runrunner has it accurately portrayed. Was very fortunate to have a person who fits the ideal scenario for the final 3 months and I owe him much personal gratitude. Would not have made it with a 3rd person being the same caliber as the first two. Offered a TT position coming out of CDL school and dreaded the thought of going out with a terrible trainer for 6-8 WEEKS.

Little did I know it would be two bad ones in a row....for 3 months. Oh well, new challenges await and we'll let that debris keep flowing downstream, and far away. Time to hitch up the britches and run some freight.

Heads up to the Sprinter boys....here come the questions from someone without a clue!

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Congrats on passing six months and the attitude! Looking forward to seeing you around here for a while!

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Send me the video!!!! I gotta see this!

I could post a link to Youtube showing a clip from one of Cheri's favorite movies where a man kidnaps himself at gunpoint. But, posting the link would probably get me banned from E.O.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I could post a link to Youtube showing a clip from one of Cheri's favorite movies where a man kidnaps himself at gunpoint. But, posting the link would probably get me banned from E.O.

HMMMM Blazing Saddles? Great scene