dumb things dock workers and guards have said and asked

guido4475

Not a Member
The other thread was a good one.But how many times do we encounter dock workers not so intelligent questions?

I used to haul prototype freight from Dearborn to Louisville and got to know the head of that dept very well due to alot of after-hour deliveries.It was a nice setup,Separate building from the plant. They hired a forklift driver that came from the main plant.She insisted I slide my tandems to the rear.I told her they dont move. "Oh yes they do" she said.She counlnt understand why they cannot move on a 10-wheeler.Finally I called Shawn on his cellphone to come down and listen to this.She got a reaming and sent back to the other side.

Or what always got me is when GM implied that rule of not allowing trucks with boxes older than 10 years old on their property.The security guards would always check the door jamb tag and not the tag on the box.Hmmm...

Or how many guards ask you what youre trailer # is when you are in a straight truck?

moose

Veteran Expediter
Last month i'd Picked up an MT trailer at the Sears Whs in Ontario C.A .
on the way out , the guard inspected the trailer , & asked me to open the doors so he can look inside ...
then he polled a black box , and insisted on fingerprinted me .
i told him : you know , this trailer is empty , you just looked inside ...
today i have more then a quarter of a million $ of household goods in the box , the place that i took the trailer from , did not even ask for my name...
(the name Moose seams to work well with shippers & guards BTW...)

moose

Veteran Expediter
It was always fun driving a str8 truck into a Speedco , and reminding them to grease the 5th wheel...

aileron

Expert Expediter
When I was driving a van I picked up a load and the shipper wanted me to put a seal on the van. I told him that I drive a van and I cannot seal it. He said ok, but came out with me to put the seal on the van anyways. He goes around the van and looks for a way to put the seal on, and asks me is it is ok to put the seal around the door handle. I said, fine, but that will not prevent the door to be opened. Then he says, I guess you cannot put the seal on the van. I felt like telling him that I already told you this inside, but instead I just thanked him and on my way I was. It was a good paying load if I remember correctly.

Olex126

Seasoned Expediter
The guard at Lear Seating in Kitchener, Ontario always came out of his guardhouse and tried to put a seal on my outbound flatbed load... it was only on the third load out the gate that he realized he was wasting his time walking out to the truck with a seal in his hand...
"But, But, But...You must half ze zeal...it is marked on the paperwork... Vhere shoult I put it?"

I finally humored him and scotch-taped the seal to the Bill of Lading...
"Ya, dat vill vork!" he said!

And then there was the time I had to explain an open bond to a U.S. Customs officer...!

Regards.

Dave

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This is not what someone said or asked but did. It is from a while ago.

greg334 said:
The Three Stooges on the Dock

Last night I had back to back auto loads (I jinxed myself by saying that FedEx doesn't focus on auto shipments), the first being transmission parts and the second being a special tooling both for a downed production lines.

The first one went as it usually does, everyone is working when I arrive and I am ignored. Not until I tell the supervisor of the dock that I am sent here because a entire production line is down and it would best to fit me in because the customer is spending a lot of money idling 300 people until I get there (don't know if that was true but it worked), she gets off her a** and moved to get me loaded fast. I got the dock assignment, back up into the dock and drop my dolly. I go back in and no one is around, dead silence except for the heater running on the dock. I walk around the plant and no one can be found until I stumble into the dispensary where the nurse tells me "oh didn't you know this is break time and they will be back in an hour" So I wait an hour, got loaded and went on my way with 6000 pieces of fancy transmission parts.

When I arrive at the plant, I am instructed to wait until a dock opens up and then take it in. I waited and then I dock my truck. I still have to wait until someone notices that there is a truck parked in the dock and then they stand there until I get over to unstrap the stuff for them. They can't get the forklift on the truck because of the step on my box so I push three containers to the edge. Finally I am unloaded and the parts are going into production but now I have to wait until I can find someone that can sign my paper work. There was another guy there that has waited 4 hours to get unloaded, but he was mad at the fact that they needed the parts so badly then made him sit while the line changes over to use the parts.

I get my paper work signed, a gate pass and I am out of there. I haul my truck over to another nearby plant and arrive just in time for lunch, an hour lunch. The shipping office (shipping trailer that is) has the shades drawn and a sign saying "out to lunch" in the window (too ironic isn't it?). So I sit and wait and wait, it is now an hour and a half. Finally someone comes to the window and opens the shade. I step up and the nice girl says "oh where have you been, they needed you to pick up this part a while ago". I just shut my mouth and went along for the ride. She explained to me what I needed to do; "take this ticket, drop it into the orange basket, not the red basket that looks something like orange but the orange basket then sign in and go sit at the table." Then she proceeds to tell me "at no time are you to go on the dock, you must always stay in the drivers area and when they finish loading, you must immediately pull your truck out of the dock and park it to secure your load." She then told me that I am taking a piece of tooling (she pointed over to a dolly with wheels that had a carefully padded and tie wrapped piece of aluminum tooling on it that supposed to have weighed 5000 lbs). She then called the dock supervisor to tell him to load me ahead of all the trucks (which there were 2 that arrived after me). Got a dock assignment and pulled my truck into the dock.

I walked back into the building and as I am passing the doors for the docks, I see there were three forklifts sitting near the dock door and one had the dolly with wheels on the forks. There were three guys huddled together and one was pushing the buttons on the dock controls. I watched as the ramp went up and down several times and tried to hear what was going on. It seems that they could not get the ramp to properly operate with my truck in the dock. The three were trying to get the ramp down farther than it was made to go, seeing my truck for some reason was lower than the other trucks in the wells (found out later why) and they were jumping on it, bringing up and down several times and even tried to drive a forklift on to it but nothing worked to lower it. All the while the dolly with wheels sat behind them on the forks. They worked on it for almost 15 minute, doing this or trying that to get the ramp down far enough at the same time trying to figure out what was wrong with the ramp. As we are all watching this spectacle of these three trying figured out what is wrong, the guy standing next to me mentioned that the dock is setup to raise the truck if needed, it seems he just retired from the place two years ago. As he is explaining this, someone who is driving one of those golf carts sees what is going on at the truck and whips around towards them. He stops his cart, walks over to the controls and pushes a button on the box the truck raises, which makes the truck level with the dock and the ramp then goes down with no problem. He gets back into his cart and drives away shaking his head.

The three were just looking amazed.

The group of three broke up and the guy with the dolly on wheels which is still on his forklift started to put it the truck, He stopped on the ramp, got off and looked up at the top of the box and his fork lift and then looked down on the floor of the truck, now there is another problem. He figured out that the height of the box was a problem, something that was obvious too all of us and his forklift was too high. He tried several times to put it into the box but could not get by the low ceiling of the box with the forklift. Now the other two notice this and came over, so again there are three forklifts at the end of my truck with three guys trying to figure out what to do. They all try to guide him to place the dolly on wheels on my truck but they can't figure out how to get past the low ceiling of the box. After ten minutes of this, here comes this guy again with the golf cart. He stops next to them, has the guy lower the forks with the dolly on wheels and he pushed the thing into my truck, gets back into his golf cart and speeds away shaking his head. The three all look at what he did and actually had the dumbest look on their faces.

We are all standing there watching this and know that there are problems at auto companies because of the unions workers but come on. The guy who mentioned the dock can be raise said it was worst than it is now and this was one reason why he left, to keep his sanity.

All of a sudden I get the dock supervisor telling me that I need to strap it down when it is in the dock (Duh), he realized it is on wheels and could just roll off the truck when I pull away. So I go onto the dock towards my truck, defying the instructions I got from the girl in the trailer. I get the dirtiest looks from the forklift drivers, ready to hear someone ask for my union card. I take my time strapping it in, making sure that the load bars are set, making sure that the dolly is strapped not the tooling (because of the 25 signs taped all over it saying fragile do not strap down) and then go back to the trailer to get my stuff signed... again with the looks from everyone as I walk on the dock. I go back to the shipping office, get my pass to get out of there and then have to go through signing the computer pad thingy what seemed like 25 times because the girl could not get the computer to work right. I finally got all my paper work and went to my truck to get out of there.

The guard looked at the paper work, and told me to go so I got out of there.

This is too much excitement for me.

Delivery was easy and rather cool. They had me pull into the press area of the factory, I drove right up to the machine and they unloaded it, unstrapped it from the dolly and put it on the machine as I sat there in the box of my truck in all in the warmth of the factory. I was tempted to ask them to let me stay there to sleep but ...

Str8Shooter

Not a Member
Recently delivering at International in, Springfield Ohio. I came in unsealed and the guard made me put a seal on to go from the guard shack to the receiving dock.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I deliver to a Walmart distribution center and at the guard shack they put a seal on the door, when I goto the traffic office they ask me to take the seal off when I back in.
Asked them what the purpose of the seal is and they state to secure the load. I asked them why do you ask me to take it off, never did get an answer. So the seal at the gate stays on my truck for maybe 2 minutes before I break it and back in. :rolleyes:
Oh, union shops are fun, I've been yelled at for taking a skid off the truck with my pallet jack. I once asked the dock worker "would you like to me to put it back on the truck so you can take it off":rolleyes:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
border guards count? once i had an in-transit bond. the woman in canada asked if there was a way to seal my van.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
yes they are funnies
i like ones for home del's
had a curb services only that means drop at the side walk and no further

and customer said your dispatcher said you would take this to the 3rd floor i looked at paper work and it said to curb service only and she asked what that ment and said drop at the curb and that is as far as i go
person asked what is your superviseor phone number gave her my cell phone and it rang she look at me as what
and left

guido4475

Not a Member
I deliver to a Walmart distribution center and at the guard shack they put a seal on the door, when I goto the traffic office they ask me to take the seal off when I back in.
Asked them what the purpose of the seal is and they state to secure the load. I asked them why do you ask me to take it off, never did get an answer. So the seal at the gate stays on my truck for maybe 2 minutes before I break it and back in. :rolleyes:
Oh, union shops are fun, I've been yelled at for taking a skid off the truck with my pallet jack. I once asked the dock worker "would you like to me to put it back on the truck so you can take it off":rolleyes:

I did the same thing at the Ford stamping plant in Walton Hills, Ohio back in 89. Being full of energy and hungry to get the next load quicker, I backed up to the dock and pulled my pallet jack out and put 4 skids on the dock.The union supervisor comes out yelling as if I had slept with his daughter.It was ugly.Never did get a load to there after that.....

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter

Same thing they do to me. They also would do that at Dell plants when they were still going strong.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
A rule is a rule and if you go to a place that has a new hire, you can be ready to hear or do about anything.

I ppull into a WalMart distribution center. Go in and get my dock assignment. Then new hire explains rules to me. Back in, drop trailer and pull out in center to park. But mam, I am in a straight truck. Doesn't matter, drop and pull out in center and wait. Mam, you don't understand, my truck is one piece. I try to tell her that normal procedure is to back in, dolly down, chock and bring keys in to her to keep till unloaded. She never heard anything like that. I had to wait till she found a supervisor and then he told her exactly what I said.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
We picked up a load at midnight this past Thurs at a place in Laredo. When we pulled up to the gate, the guy asked if we were picking up or delivering. Hubby told him and the guy said ok, just drive back there (pointing towards the back of the building). Hubby asked, "Any place in particular?" The guy said, "No, just drive back there, anywhere." Ok.

Hubby drove to the back and parked at the first empty dock. Once loaded, he drove back to the guard gate and a different guy came to the window of the truck and asked for our gate pass. Hmmm.. what gate pass? We didn't get one. The guy says, "You didn't get a gate pass?" No, we didn't get one. The guy says again, "You didn't get a gate pass?" Again, No, we didn't get one. The guy says, "Why didn't you get a gate pass?" Because the other guy in the red shirt didn't give us one. He told us to just go to the back. Once again, the guy says, "You didn't get a gate pass?" (I'm wondering, what part of NO didn't he understand?)

Now the guy walks towards the guard shack yelling "Why didn't you give them a gate pass?" at the other guy in the red shirt. He disappears inside and comes back out carrying the all important gate pass. He comes back to the drivers side and says "You need a gate pass." Hubby says, "What do you want me to do with it?" The guy says, "Take it to the dock with you and bring it back signed." Hubby says, "No. I'm already loaded, I'm not going back there again." The guy says, "You're already loaded?" (I'm thinking, Oh no, here we go again.) Yes, I'm already loaded. The guy says, "You need to get the gate pass signed for our information." He hands the clipboard to hubby and tells him to fill out the information. Hubby fills it out and hands the clipboard back.

The guy stands there looking somewhat confused for a few seconds then starts to hand the pass to hubby, who asks, "What do you want me to do with it?" The guy tries to think for a few more seconds, then says, "I'll give you the yellow copy." He tears out the copy, hands it to hubby and walks back to the shack. We went on our way and the yellow copy went into the trash.