Driver Responsibilities

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Drivers;

I've been in the trucking industry for about 30 years and everyday I encounter a new instance where a driver was unaware that he/she was responsible for something. What are some particulars that you as a driver are responsible for? We all know that there is more to driving a truck than simply driving the truck and delivering the freight safely from point A to point B.

An example: driver strikes bridge with straight truck. Truck roof and coving are peeled back a short distance leaving a hole. Debris from the roof and cross members is laying on customer freight. Would you ensure that you covered/repaired the hole in the roof prior to further transporting the load? Would you as the driver remove the debris from the customer's freight before arriving at the consignee?

I post this to help other drivers, or new drivers, think about or be aware of problems they may encounter.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Scottrucks

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not a driver as yet, but my experience comes from the warehouse side.
I have lots of experience as a warehouse Manager/Supervisor...
I would hope the driver did everything he/she could have to protect the shipment,
removed debris, covered the freight, temporay fix to the damaged area so the delivery could continue or get another truck to finish the shipment...I would hope the driver would tell me of what happened upon delivery and possible even have photos of the shipment just after the problem so the freight could be closely checked for damage.
We all have bosses to report to, so honesty and being up front make a BIG difference!!
Of course this is based only on the details you provided...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I post this to help other drivers, or new drivers, think about or be aware of problems they may encounter.
Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Why not post about the importance of researching your route, knowing your vehicle height and when in doubt, get out and visually check your clearance. Sure would eliminate cleaning debris off freight and repairing roof holes.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The main problem is...the driver should never have hit that bridge...there is NO and I repeat NO excuse for that...it isn't even an accident...pure neglect and irresponsibility....such a driver should be terminated. And the DOT should suspend the CDL till the driver shows why he/she should be able to continue to do this profession....

moose

Veteran Expediter
...it isn't even an accident...pure neglect and irresponsibility.... ....

will have to disagree on that one .
yes , hitting a bridge is uncalled for , but it is an accident .
for the simple rezones ,(& that rezone only !) ,that local city's are using bridges as a source of income .
as long as they issue tickets for 'U turning' a truck from infront of a low overpass , then they set up the trucker to fail .
i can't tell you how many times ,as a trucker i was facing a low overpass . some states allow city's to mark truck route into a low bridge . I.L , N.Y ,N.J ,W.V ,LA county ,and so on .

only 3 nights ago i called 911 to help me go around a train tracks in KanKakee ,I.L .
every single block in that 'state route' is marked 'truck route' . luckily i'v seen that bridge way ahead of time . from a closer look ,it seems that the bridge was hit so many times - I'd be afraid to ride the train .
the officer told me that it is a really big fine if he had to U turn the truck !!! - that shiny badge of him was financed by leading truckers to fail .
but then he don't drive a truck ,so he'll never understand what it takes to drive one. all they see is a golden egg lying traveling rooster .

Here's another good game ,to all of you with the 465T ,or any other truck routing .
try to go from :
ESA ,3525 torrance ave ,90503
to :
1955 torrance ave , 90501 .
funny , there's a 13'2" in the way ... no one know's ... , guess how big the fine for this one ...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been held up in traffic twice this month because 1 straight and 1 tractor did not read signage or thought the signs did not apply to them....ALL TRUCKS LEFT LANE....going thru a CZ, because they lane shifted to the right and was too close to bridges....

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Guys;

Great responses, but what I am hoping to do is a listing of the "off the wall" responsibilities that seem to fall back onto the driver. I was using the bridge example as one unique instance. Does not matter whether the driver was right or wrong. Think about when you were a rookie driver. You were primarily concerned with obtaining your CDL and landing a job. The job would be great once those two items were accomplished - you could just drive the truck from point A to point B and get paid. You came to realize through experience and trail & error that your job is far more than just driving the truck. You have logs and other paperwork to complete, vehicle inspections and so on. You also encountered situations where you neglected to think about the big picture and something came back as being your responsibility that you never thought of. Those are the things I am looking to place on the compiled list to help drivers, both new and experienced, be prepared to handle situations and avoid costly mistakes. The items could be as simple as always chocking your wheels at shipper and receivers (because you didn't once and the forklift fell between your truck and the dock). Another could be that you were transporting an odd shaped machine which you secured between two load lock bars, but there was 3 inches of play between the machine and the bars. That play allowed the machine to move during transit causing $100k damage to the machine. You then realized you should have used straps on the machine - you lost $1k in escrow for the insurance deductible.

Heck, tell the whole story of "The load from Heck" if you have to. Make sure there is a Moral to the story which would help a fellow driver.

Thanks for your participation.

HotFr8Recruiter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From my opinion and experience...driver is responsible for everything to do with the truck...from maintenance, health and safety, load securement, to having all paperwork for truck, route planning. And then he/she has to drive the darn thing...We are not paid enough!

Oh did I mention having to know all local and state laws as well...:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Great responses, but what I am hoping to do is a listing of the "off the wall" responsibilities that seem to fall back onto the driver.
From the examples given, it seems you're looking not so much for examples of driver responsibilities, as driver irresponsibilities, perhaps a "To-Don't List".

Properly securing freight so as to not incur a damage claim isn't an "off the wall" responsibility, it's a "basic" responsibility at the core of what we do, which is to deliver freight in the same condition as when it was picked up. Avoiding an overhead collision is right up there on the list with avoiding parking on a railroad track while the red lights are blinking, or driving into a brick wall, or off a pier. Failing to chock your wheels, which results in an accident, isn't so much an "off the wall" responsibility as it is gross negligence and massive stupidity, especially since every dock-high facility has ubiquitous signs that read "Wheels Must Be Chocked".

These forums are read by various management types at many carriers. Asking people to post their exploits of how they failed to do their job is like asking a defendant to testify against himself. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post here can and will be used against you when shredding up your lease contract. You have the right to a recruiter. If you cannot afford a recruiter, one will be appointed to you.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Driver responsibilities can be covered with 2 words, common sense. I'm sure there are thousands of stories out there that would simply come back to those 2 words. The dolt that just used 2 load bars on a piece of machinery would be a good example of someone sadly lacking basic common sense.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
The only thing it takes to do this properly is common sense and a well developed sense of paranoia fueled by the knowledge that if ANYTHING goes wrong at all either the authorities or your carrier (or even both) are going to try and hang it on you regardless of actual fault.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Again, great responses. Unfortunately "Common Sense" is not something I can package and give to a driver. Many times during an orientation I can tell the driver is uncertain about some things but will tell you in no uncertain terms that he or she has done it all. Those are the folks that seem to lack the common sense. Destined for something to go wrong. Others genuinely need the assistance as they are new to the industry. Those are the people I want to help. We attempt to cover all scenarios in orientation - there is always something new that happens.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The most helpful advice I can think of is to question hearsay, and verify it from an official source before believing it. The FMCSA guide, contract with the carrier, DOT [federal and/or state] websites - those are good to learn, and knowing where to find the answer often saves a problem on down the road.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the things we were told when we first got into this business was secure your freight so that it becomes part of the truck.

It does not matter to us if we are getting paid to blanket wrap freight or not, or to use corner protectors, or anything else to protect what we haul, we will secure our freight so that if we stop suddenly or in a worst case scenario we lay the truck over the freight goes with us in a secure position.

If we damage freight we have to pay a hefty sum of the claim and that is an expense we do not need.

We are planning on have a freight securement workshop round table at the Expo this year. I am hoping that all of the participants will share and gain knowledge on how to better secure their freight.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Bob and Linda;

I think a load securement roundtable workshop would be an excellent idea for the Expo. Sharing your experience with others will truely be to their benefit. You have surely transported just about every type of Expedite shipment that exists, though we all know that the next load may be something new and different.

Look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks.

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter
John M

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I have one for you,
I was at a shipper that locks your icc bumper in when the truck beside me got the green light. He poped his breaks in steped on the gas started out of the hole and ripped his icc bumper right off. Turns out the lock was broken and diddent always retract.The light was green but he was still locked in. Always look under your truck to make sure!

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
wait heres another one, Fuel nossles! How many times have you gone to get fuel and the driver before you never released the handle and fuel comes gushing out.LOL I only did once, but every now and then I catch myserf not checking.