DOT physical for sprinter

coastline

Expert Expediter
I have been involved in passenger transportation for 19 yrs. I am looking to change to sprinter/cargo van service.
What companies do not require a DOT physical for Sprinter/Cargo van work? DOT regs do not require physicals for GVW >10,000 but it appears many companies do.

Thanks in advance.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some carriers require a CDL regardless of the vehicle. Others require a DOT physical for van drivers at least initially, but not every year or two after the initial physical.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A CDL holding driver that fails a DOT physical with one carrier is not likely to get a non-CDL driver role with any of the reputable carriers. Consider the liability issue if your malady created an adverse situation for you, the public, the carrier or its customer's freight.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A CDL holding driver that fails a DOT physical with one carrier is not likely to get a non-CDL driver role with any of the reputable carriers. Consider the liability issue if your malady created an adverse situation for you, the public, the carrier or its customer's freight.

You assume that the disqualifying condition is unstable. Not always the truth. I can’t get a med card because of an eyesight deficiency in one eye. That’s a lifelong problem that is no more unstable than anyone needing a new prescription every couple years.

My diabetes is hard to control out on the road, I admit, but I’ve never had a hypoglycemic episode.

I understand, and actually support the fact that people in larger vehicles need to be held to a higher standard, but these are vans we’re talking about. Pardon me for not buying your argument hook line and sinker, but I need to make a living.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
xmudman, you are correct. I made a reasonable assumption in the situation of coastline that he/she was unable to pass a DOT inspection, could not get a waiver and had eyes on one of the well known companies of which I am aware. I also erred in my comment about "reputable" companies. I had no intent in suggesting that a company that didn't require a DOT card was not reputable. I stand corrected.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m sure it’s a lot easier for companies such as L1, FDX, etc who have trucks in all classes, to hold all drivers to the same standard. I’m not sure how requiring a vanner to have a CDL affects the insurance, though....

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

coastline

Expert Expediter
Terryandrene Thank you for assuming I failed to pass a DOT physical. I have not failed any physical. Xmudman, thank you for questioning and clearing up assumptions people have.
I'm looking to get into the expediting / sprinter business for the first time. From reading the DOT regs, It's my understanding the sprinter >10,000 GVW vehicles are not required to be DOT compliant however, I am finding that many companies for whatever reason ARE requiring a DOT physical.
I was DOT compliant in passenger service for 15 years. My reasons for switching industries are personal.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There’s nothing wrong with someone assuming you failed a DOT physical.
Although your question could have been academic, almost anyone asking that question does it because they can’t pass a physical.,
It’s a major reason older/experienced drivers look at under 10,000 lbs.

Reactions: Turtle

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I operated under 10,000 lb vehicles, I’d want my drivers to pass a physical.
It’s a piece of mind thing. It can bring issues to light that may be overlooked if the physical wasn’t required. And it could be a positive in any court proceeding.

On the flip side, A guy I knew passed a physical, stopped and had one beer, went home for dinner, and died prior to dinner, probably less than 3 hours after passing the physical. He was a dispatcher.

Reactions: TheHardinsI

TheHardinsI

Seasoned Expediter
My husband and I have been Expedite Dtrivers for almost 12 years. Some states require you to have a Class C license. Most states your regular license is all you have to have.. Not saying a Company won't require more.. Asking about a Physical there is other options in who you drive for.. you can bid and drive for yourself instead of working for a company.. Best Wishes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
From the thread title, I was hoping this thread would answer my question. But there seems to be debate.

I'm in SC (Charlotte metro area) and am looking at starting up with my own van (as in, getting a van in order to start up). Do any major carriers, like BOLT (seems to be a good option from other posts), not need the DOT physical?

I don't mind anybody making assumptions : )

EDIT: I'm still talking about Sprinter/Promaster vans.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From the thread title, I was hoping this thread would answer my question. But there seems to be debate.

I'm in SC (Charlotte metro area) and am looking at starting up with my own van (as in, getting a van in order to start up). Do any major carriers, like BOLT (seems to be a good option from other posts), not need the DOT physical?

Your best bet is to just call the carrier of your choosing and ask them if they require one or ask one of their drivers about it. Nice and easy.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My friend drives for Bolt. They do not require a cdl but still require a physical. It’s an insurance deal.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are team drivers that transport dogs around the country. Some don’t require a physical or cdl.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Talked with a Bolt driver last night and asked him your question. He said that you need DOT med. card.

Reactions: ntimevan

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
Hey thanks, Treadmill.

If you deal straight with brokers, instead of working with a company, it isn't needed right? but then, dealing straight with brokers is harder (in that I have to find my own loads) and generally pays less, right?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey thanks, Treadmill.

If you deal straight with brokers, instead of working with a company, it isn't needed right? but then, dealing straight with brokers is harder (in that I have to find my own loads) and generally pays less, right?
I don’t deal with brokers, so i don’t the answer to that question. Maybe somebody will come upwith the answer. I do know that its not easy to make tons of money off the load boards.