Dont what to think about this!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That is what I did in 2006, still at it and still making a lot of money. You should try it yourself before you knock it.

My ex used to try to get me to go skiing, because he loved it, but I wouldn't - I hate being cold & have just about zero athletic ability.
We're all different, with different abilities and interests. Xiggi wasn't 'knocking' it, just pointing out that if you don't have the skills required [I know I don't!], it's not likely to be a success. That's why we're here, to provide some info that can help people evaluate their options.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I never recommend to someone I don't know to get their own authority.
Very few make it.
And then some that make it really don't understand what making it really is.
Back in "the day" it was great to see a guy celebrate his 20 or 30 year anniversary because he liked working for you.
Not because he couldn't find anything better.
It was nice to see a family come back from a paid vacation,or the wife dropping hubby off at work because she is taking the kids to the beach. Dad made enough money that Mom didn't need to work.
We closed down our company when it became too hard to provide a good job and benefits to our employees.
We never had a better lifestyle than our best employee.
Now any yahoo with $1000 can be a trucking company. He can underbid your freight until he goes broke.
Then there'll be another yahoo in line to take his place.
If you want to fight that, go get your own authority.
There are a few that make it. A very few.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I agree, its a huge conflict of interest in my opion..Even if the carrier and or dispatchers deny favoritism it you know dang well those trucks will get preferred loads.

Would be interested in knowing what carrier this is..Dont really care who the truck owners are just what carrier. I see know harm in naming the carrier. Just to gives others a heads up that this could be happening.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
To get back on topic this to me is similar to being in a fleet that has mileage trucks and % trucks.
Even when you get a fair shake that ever present doubt will drive ya crazy.

twentyhigh

Seasoned Expediter
I personally think it represents a conflict of interest. Even if the carrier does EVERYTHING 110% right, it will always be questioned or doubted. IMHO.

I agree John. It won't matter what you do, if the element is there, human nature will provide the suspicious.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dispatch favoritism happens all the time, and there's no way around it. But it can be measured and tempered. When it's blatant and overt, as with dispatchers who also own trucks and vans, it's both scummy and icky, and destroys any Duty of Trust and Confidence between the contractor and the carrier, like John said, even if the carrier does everything 110% right and plays no favorites at all.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
Im not saying it hurt me at the company here. But it could im not going to let it happen. But on that note I did get my premier driver package today from last period when I hit silver. The sticker will never hit the van .

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I would love to know which dispatcher owns trucksi find it a little hard to believe because it is against Panther policy.