Do you talk or argue?

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Sometimes during my 10 hour sleeper berth time when I can only sleep three (LOL) I find myself shotgun. However, when it comes to conversation I wonder if we are talking or arguing. Of course, Tod always thinks I'm arguing. Got some suggestions for a safe subject? (Davekc the helmet is on!)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I really had to laugh about this topic!! Bob and I have been married 28 years have worked together for the last 6 and have figured out we do not work together very well. We get along great, respect each others driving, each others work ethics and we are the best of friends, but when it comes to actually doing something together the sparks can fly. We both have totally different ideas on how to move a object. If both of us have to touch the same object we go in different directions. We have finally agreed to disagree and one of has to take the lead when we undertake a project. Just on of the many things that make life interesting being together 24/7. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think every couple has a few of those moments out there.
For us we delegated amongst ourselves who would do what, and we seldom questioned the other. It worked real well for us.
As fleet owners, we still pretty much operate that same way.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are some majorly heated arguments in my truck. Those voices disagree with me too often and I have to tell them how the cow ate the cabbage. :+

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
And I thought this only happened in OUR truck!

A safe subject? For us now that summer is here, CUBS Baseball! Ahhhh...hold the phone, it's called loyalty, no matter loose or loose LOL, there's always next year.:) :) :) :)

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
We yell....for about 5 seconds (usually before one goes to sleep or just gets up) but we are closer since we started doing this and I couldn't imagine not having her silly butt around.
CoCo as far as the CUBS go wasn't it their goal to be 1st in last place this year? If so I think Dusty has done a fine job.
Mike and Cyn:7

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I think she is glad when I leave, I want to take her with me?? I will keep my mirrage safe, I leave we are both happy. Sure is nice to come home, can't wait to get going again though but please dont tell my wife that. But if the nieghbors were snitches I am sure they would advise me to only stay for a couple of days. But they are nice and only start asking after the first beer so how long ya home for? Got the hint...

kinilu57

Expert Expediter
Brian and I buy lottery tickets in alot of different states. We always talk about what we would spend the winnings on. It really makes you stop and think about who has been "Good" or "Bad" in your life. Along with "Who" you would help.....is "Why" you would help them.

Believe it or not.....we even can argue over money we haven't won.

Sometimes we laugh so hard about how we would get even with some people for things that happened years ago. It gets hysterical.

:+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When my wife runs with me, we read to each other. We get a novel and the one that´s not driving reads to the other. We have a rule that you can´t read for more than half an hour, and when you reach a half hour, you are only permitted to finish the page you are on, til the next reading session. It leads to alot of conversation about things, as you sometimes discuss the book, a personal experience that was triggered by something that was read, etc. Most times, you are anxiously waiting to see what happens in the next installment. It takes quite awhile to read the average novel like that. As for aguments, after 25 years together, we know where the hot buttons are, and we stay away from them. We also have our designated agreed upon duties when the truck is on the road, and we don´t cross into the others territory, even if it involves waiting til the other person finishs thier job, so you can do yours. It´s all about respect for the other persons abilities and limitations I think. Respect being the operative word. On the road, the lead driver is me. With the accounting and paperwork, the lead driver is her. Best division of our labor pool.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
I agree with a lot of the things said on here about this topic. The most important thing though is having your space sometimes. It's not like having a job at home where you both go your seperate ways to work and then come home and talk about your day. Sometimes even the best marriage has it's hard times working together 24/7. I find with my husband the best thing to do, especially since we are in a D unit is to go to a mall or shopping center and just get away from each other. You can only take sooo much of being cooped up in a little space together. Now that I have my laptop I go into the truckstops and play on it while he stays in the truck and watches TV or sleeps. Space sometimes is the best choice so you don't argue.:p

Falconlady13

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After 38 years of marriage and 6 1/2 years on driving together, I have found NO subject of conversation to be safe all the time.
Since my husband is finishing up the final touches on the Ford Falcon for the car show in July...I can keep him talking for hours about that car..but there are moments when I sure miss a door to slam every once in awhile,to drive home my final point, the swish of a curtain just isn't the same.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The most important thing though is having your space
>sometimes.

<snip>

I find with my husband the
>best thing to do, especially since we are in a D unit is to
>go to a mall or shopping center and just get away from each
>other. You can only take sooo much of being cooped up in a
>little space together. Now that I have my laptop I go into
>the truckstops and play on it while he stays in the truck
>and watches TV or sleeps. Space sometimes is the best choice
>so you don't argue.:p

Diane and I are the same way. Every so often, and for no particular reason, we find it wise to put some space between us. Today is a good example. We're resting up, getting ready to go back in service. We spent all morning in the truck, sleeping in and quietly passing time. She took care of a couple of business tasks, as did I. In the afternoon, we both went in back to tidy things up and re-think and reorganize our equipment (getting used to new CR-unit space in back, there will be a few more such episodes before we feel we have it right).

Then we went our separate ways. We drove a few miles to the nearest Barnes and Nobel store where we sit as I write this. She is in the store reading. She has been there for several hours (she loves to read). I stayed in the truck to sleep, write, and plink away on EO. We'll trade places soon so I can get some fun store browsing and reading time in too. When the store closes, we'll find a place to park for the night, get a good night's sleep and go back in service with the sunrise.

One of the things we discovered on the road was that without knowing it, we also gave ourselves time apart when we had our house and previous jobs and house, but didn't realize it. She'd usually go off shopping or to lunch with friends. I'd usually lose myself in my home office with the door closed. Neither one of us minded a bit when the other did this. It turned out to be a more important exercise than we then understood.

On the road, we call it "me time." Because we give ourselves time apart, our time together is better and more productive than it would otherwise be.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Well Im single but if I were in that situation with my partener for life, riding the roads of America experiencing life together. I believe I would talk about her thoughts, her dreams, her aspirations, I would want to know her feelings about how well we communicate with each ot.....Ah h**L,, who am i kidding,, sorry guys gotta stop...I can't breath:7 :7 :7 :7

are12

Expert Expediter
>Sometimes during my 10 hour sleeper berth time when I can
>only sleep three (LOL) I find myself shotgun. However, when
>it comes to conversation I wonder if we are talking or
>arguing. Of course, Tod always thinks I'm arguing. Got
>some suggestions for a safe subject? (Davekc the helmet is
>on!)

Is there anything as a "safe" subject???

I know where you are coming from. There are alot of great suggestions on here for when the truck is not moving. We too, try to give each other space, when we are sitting. I usually stay in the truck and play around on my laptop, while my worse half goes in and watches TV.
As for while the truck is moving...that is a whole other story! I drive night shift so if I do not get a lot of sleep, I can be very crabby x( and usually not very talkative). I find the best thing to do is to either read or play a handheld game with very little talking, until I am ready to lay down again. Don't get me wrong, we talk but I try and feel out his mood first to decide what to talk about.
I don't know about the rest of you but I get annoyed when the hubby can't sleep and he is sitting in the jump seat playing with the CB or changing the radio station or even trying to carry on a conversation or worse yet, telling me how to drive, I feel he is invading my space so I try to remember that when I am awake while he is driving. Think about it, most of the time, when we are driving, we are up there alone, lost in our own little world and doing our own thing so when the other half gets up, it is like thye are invading our privacy and we may get a little testy.
}>
Hope this helps!

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Telling you how to drive?????? Imagine that! Your hubby has the same personality flaw mine has! lol:+

lisalewis

Seasoned Expediter
I also drive at night and feel the same way!! When I start my shift I patiently count down until he finishes his last cigerette and closes the curtain...then I think ahhhhh alone at last.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hubby started as a solo tractor/trailer driver and I rode along with him sometimes. I learned to drive and we did that for about 2 years before we changed to expediting.
We have our moments in the truck (usually me getting irritated) but we have a joke that most people get mad and slam the door. How do you do that in a truck? Slamming a curtain just doesn't have the same effect! LOL

We remodeled an old house together and we survived, this is easy!!:)