Dispatchers?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the load is offered below your contract rate it doesn't count as a refusal. If it's more than 8 hours till pickup time weekdays or 24 hours weekends it's not a refusal.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
It is seems that if dispatchers are given the ability to "ding" your profile with a refusal or some sort of negative report without consulting a supervisor, then they will do it out of a power trip. Hey LDB, that might be something to discuss with your driver council. Seems like way too much power to me. I don't like the idea of some immature brat that I can't talk to face to face having the ability to taint my reputation with every other dispatcher based upon their perceived offense.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

greg334

Veteran Expediter
x06col,
yep that is the biggest problem and I can only see that older people who want to do something seem to fill the gap with this issue easier than the younger people.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
But, only IF, they understand the gap. And, really choose to fill it, steada having something to do for a while. Never know when that "homerun" will pop up. You may watch for 18 hours straight, and at 18 hours 8 minutes, there is the home run. Just 8 minutes after the puter goes off. Dispatching is not for the part timers, unless you gang up on it, and that opens up a whole nuther can of worms.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea I know what you are saying, this would not really work for the mom and pop shops but panther and fedex would actually benefit from it but again I doubt if they would embrace it because of the incentive thing - they don't want to pay extra for performance they would get.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Won't work for them either. Incentive or otherwise. Look at the expediting force. How many you know that realize their floor each week, then roll craps for home?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing like getting dinged for a refusal by declining a 42 mile mini with 86 miles to the shipper.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
But, would it get you 130 miles closer to home, or a gooder area?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Well I know Tri State will allow you to refuse a load that the dh is greater than or equal 50% to the total loaded miles without any negative implications.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No! I was in Rockfish, Ill. The load picked up in Milwaukee and delivered in Racine. Shortly after refusing the mini I got another load offer. About 20 miles into my drive to the shipper it canceled. Dry run. Then I got a call about the first mini. They were desperate and we agreed on a new $ amount. On the way to the shipper, it too canceled. Another dry run. So it goes!

The problem I have with the refusal rating is I am not a big fan of negative reinforcement.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Dispatchers are just like drivers

There are great drivers

There are some that are lazy as a pet pig

I try to find the dispatchers that have thier heads on straight and when I need something ask for them by name.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
We were with Tri-State for 2 1/2 years.......Never in that time did they ever mention a problem with refusals. Although we very seldom refused a load.
One thing we did was look at the load, miles to pick up, paid miles to delivery, etc. Look at the $0.00 the load paid and the FSC.....then decide......If we didn't think it was a good load for us, we'd simply qual-comm back with the message "Refusing load, not a good business decision". Never had a problem.

Not sure if she's still working there or not, but one of the best dispatchers, by far, was Betty. She worked the midnight shift and you could tell just by talking with her that she knew what she was doing.
We'd actually wait until it was time for her shift, call dispatch and ask for her specifically, ask her for suggestions for an empty move or load possibilities from where we were sitting. She'd always try to move us to a better location or give us little "hints"....She might say..."give me a few hours, I"ll see what I can do to find you a load". 9 times out of 10 she'd have us on a load before the end of her shift......It was a pleasure working with her!!!! :) To bad there weren't more dispatchers like her.

I must say from my experience at Tri-State, most all of their dispatchers are easy to work with and pleasant to talk to. They try hard to keep the trucks moving. Several times a dispatcher would call us asking for a "favor" in getting some freight moved. Some short run they couldn't get anyone else to take, or a van load they couldn't get any vans to take.....We'd take the load, at our contracted straight truck rate, keep our original board position when we were done and the dispatcher would dig us up a very good run after that......
Sometimes you have to give a little to get alot......

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
now at ceva, what was egl, here in norfolk , in my case they know
don't call me at 2300 for 0400 p/u as i'm not getting out of bed
but if you tell me at 1600 hey to you want this most of time i will due it
some think because i'm in a van able to drive 24/7
still follow the rules drive 11 off 10
and than start all over again
most part we have great people here in norfolk va

Pappy

Expert Expediter
37 years dealing with dispatchers and agents has told me a few things. I personally think that anyone who is considered to be a dispatcher candidate should have at least 3 to 5 years over the road driving experience.
I have seen more than one dispatcher end up with his nose under his ear simply because he had no idea what drivers went through on the road---Had no idea how to deal with drivers---and handled a situation the wrong way!

Pappy :)