Disappearing Industry

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
...Ontario is banning ALL coal burning by 2014
.The two units slated for shutdown by the end of the year are the Lambton Generating Station and the Nanticoke Generating Station, which at its peak capacity of near 4,000 megawatts was one of the largest coal facilities in the world.
U.S. impact minimal
It likely would not affect the U.S. coal industry, even though much of Ontario's former coal supply came from south of the border, he said.
"Ontario's decision in the context of the United States is minor," he said. "The U.S. industry has other assets."
Ontario's plans likely would not change the dynamic in other provinces, he said. They will be influenced much more by national coal regulations announced last year, and the province's own rules, he said.
The Canadian national regulations go a step further than U.S. EPA rules in requiring existing coal plants to eventually match the greenhouse emissions profile of natural gas plants -- a requirement that can only be met via yet-to-be-proved carbon capture technology
Ontario Phases Out Coal-Fired Power - Scientific American

Meanwhile, China is opening one new coal-fired plant every week to meet the electrical demands of its population.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Meanwhile, China is opening one new coal-fired plant every week to meet the electrical demands of its population.
China? a commie country that doesn't care how many of its citizens it runs over with tanks?....they surely don't care about a little smelly air!

that is good if KY can meet their need for a good price...they an burn it over there.....I imagine Canadian coalers will be knocking on the Chinese doors as well....

aristotle

Veteran Expediter

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
At 8:30am this morning, the temperature in Lexington, KY was -3 F. The temp in Pikeville was +2 F. Speaking with my brother by phone a few days ago, his coal mining operation is working in 12 hour shifts 6 days a week producing coal as fast as possible for shipment. Demand is strong. That some coal-fired plants are closing is offset by the fact that many, many more are opening worldwide. The autocrats in Washington,DC would rather we freeze to death or live without electricity than concede that coal is a blessing.

Obama's utopian pipedreams may lead to the next energy crisis in the United States. A totally artificial and unnecessary crisis where suddenly domestic demand for electricity cannot be met while we sit atop billions of tons of available coal.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Developing countries need a cheap source of power and Coal is it... It doesn't change the fact it is dirty!

Coal is dirty compared to what feasible alternative? Every extraction of fossil fuels comes with an environmental cost. Ask the Japanese how they feel about having nuclear reactors. One strong earthquake can compromise a nuclear plant and expose thousands, if not millions, to radiation. Wind and solar power are impractical. What does the Left have to offer?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coal is dirty compared to what feasible alternative? Every extraction of fossil fuels comes with an environmental cost. Ask the Japanese how they feel about having nuclear reactors. One strong earthquake can compromise a nuclear plant and expose thousands, if not millions, to radiation. Wind and solar power are impractical. What does the Left have to offer?

Unfortunately you have never lived down wind of three of the world's largest coal burning facilities.. Amazing the damage they did done on the forests

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can appreciate your defense of your states economy. Acquire two more Toyota plants like Georgetown and You're even

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately you have never lived down wind of three of the world's largest coal burning facilities.. Amazing the damage they did done on the forests

These Canadian plants should not have purchased nor used coal with a high sulphur content. We have burned coal in Kentucky for a hundred years and our forests are fine. 30 or 40 years ago, many public utilities unwittingly or indifferently used high sulphur coal because it sold cheap. Today, there is no market for high sulphur coal in the US.

High sulphur coal will produce a yellowish or brownish smoke into the air. It can't be mistaken for anything else. Good coal, with low sulphur content, will release a gray or black smoke. Low sulphur coal has the added benefit of a higher BTU output.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
These Canadian plants should not have purchased nor used coal with a high sulphur content. We have burned coal in Kentucky for a hundred years and our forests are fine. 30 or 40 years ago, many public utilities unwittingly or indifferently used high sulphur coal because it sold cheap. Today, there is no market for high sulphur coal in the US.

High sulphur coal will produce a yellowish or brownish smoke into the air. It can't be mistaken for anything else. Good coal, with low sulphur content, will release a gray or black smoke. Low sulphur coal has the added benefit of a higher BTU output.

Thanks for that info much appreciated Gillette Wyoming has one of his three mine shut down because they have no manpower maybe some Kentuckians would like to move?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I can appreciate your defense of your states economy. Acquire two more Toyota plants like Georgetown and You're even

It's more of a defense against inaccurate statements made about coal. It seems your opinions have been shaped by damage done to Canadian forests. The utilities managers who used high sulphur coal are responsible for that event. Why would anyone choose high sulphur coal? Ignorance? Trying to save a few bucks? Low sulphur coal can be safely used. High sulphur coal presents too many difficulties.

The Toyota plant in Georgetown has prospered in part due to the cheap and unlimited availability of electricity provided by coal-fired generating stations. Cheap electricity offers a competitive edge to industries in the US. Say goodbye to having a competitive advantage. Thanks, Obama.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for that info much appreciated Gillette Wyoming has one of his three mine shut down because they have no manpower maybe some Kentuckians would like to move?

Wyoming??? My wife has just accepted a nurse coordinator position at a hospital in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We are moving south in less than 30 days. She had a competing offer from Florida, but MBSC won out. Good conservative state. Culturally similar to Kentucky.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wyoming??? My wife has just accepted a nurse coordinator position at a hospital in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We are moving south in less than 30 days. She had a competing offer from Florida, but MBSC won out. Good conservative state. Culturally similar to Kentucky.

I lived there for a few years. Two different places in the tourist and off season.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I lived there for a few years. Two different places in the tourist and off season.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

We were there on Jan 2nd and 3rd for wife's interview. Almost a ghost town compared to summer. June-Sept we expect crowded streets.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Last edited: