Did he fear for his life?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Well, not in my bizarro-world, but in the numerous training classes I've attended, and the numerous times I've actually used force, been investigated for, and been found that I've applied it properly.

The thing you fail to understand is that the top of the continuum demonstrates the aggressor has shown zero regard for life. Running away, running to....what? In the feeble example you're trying desperately to one-up me with, you have no idea whether the suspect was armed or not.

In the case of the moron seated at her desk, she demonstrated that she intended to remain. .....pay attention ......I'll type slowly.......passively resistant. While it is painfully obvious that she intended to be a pain in the rear, she, nor her actions, were a physical threat to no one.

Maybe that's a little different than the last time you were formally trained on the use of force.

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, not in my bizarro-world, but in the numerous training classes I've attended, and the numerous times I've actually used force, been investigated for, and been found that I've applied it properly.

The thing you fail to understand is that the top of the continuum demonstrates the aggressor has shown zero regard for life. Running away, running to....what? In the feeble example you're trying desperately to one-up me with, you have no idea whether the suspect was armed or not.
He initially was running from the officer and became a significant distance away. At that point an officer can deescalate from lethal force. Not continually engage someone who he physically couldn't handle by himself, let alone that he had another person he may have had to deal with. When he was running away and a great distance away, the immediate threat was over with. Wait for backup, and engage the individual with less lethal methods (tasers, etc) to conduct the arrest. And then if the individual produces a weapon and intends to shoot, escalate to lethal force. Just don't stay locked in on lethal force. Not trying to one up you. Just showing the inconsistency in your force continuum analysis.
You would stay locked in when using lethal force on someone running away, but an officer choosing a more aggressive approach to subdue an individual is way over the line.
For example, there are many ways to take a individual to the ground from a standing position. One is by the officer using his arm around the neck of an individual(not the choke hold method) and bringing them to the ground. Another is for the officer to apply both of their thumbs to the center and top side of an individual's hand, grasp their palm with their fingers and turn counter clockwise. The person is on the ground. Many would argue the first example just 'looks bad' and is excessive, but it can be done just like the second example without any harm to the individual. It is just a more aggressive approach to arrest someone but within acceptable methods to subdue someone safely without injury.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How did it come to this, cops in schools? When I was a kid we had nuns. Enough said.

This un-newsworthy, non-story does illustrate problems with the K-12 public school system, lack of respect for peers and authority and how people will not accept responsibility for their actions. Everyone wants to blame someone else for their own failures. I will now attempt to spread some of the blame around.

This student's parents failed to instill in her the basic concept of respect or she rejected their efforts. Respect for her teachers, fellow students and herself.

The classroom teacher failed to do his/her job of enforcing the no phone rule and controlling the class.

The assistant principal also failed to enforce the no phone rule and control the situation so he/she had to call for police backup. In my school days, assistant principals were male and the school disciplinarian (badass). If an assistant principal was ever called to a classroom for a discipline problem, somebody was in a world of hurt.

What happened prior to the SRO's appearance? Why couldn't a classroom teacher with the aid of an assistant principal handle the situation? Why did the SRO have to be called? What if the SRO couldn't get the girl to comply, call in SWAT, the National Guard, use nuclear force?

The cop failed to exercise a bit of self control. I do think he did the right thing by forcible removing the girl from the classroom, thus regaining control of the situation for the teacher and assistant principal. But he probably should have done so with a little less enthusiasm.

I was involved in a similar situation as the SRO when I was a school bus driver. I had to extricate a high school boy from his seat by the window, drag him to the front of the bus and deposit him on the floor next to the driver's seat. This didn't make the news. I heard nothing from his parents, school officials or the owner of the bus company. The kid's mom may have asked him why his tee shirt looked like someone tied it into a knot in the middle of his chest. I'm sure he didn't tell her the truth. This kid wanted to test me to see how far he could go. He found out.

Back to cops in schools. SRO is an an acronym for Student Resource Officer. At this school it appears that the cops are a resource for the teachers and staff, not the students. A more apt title for this cop would be Faculty Resource Officer. Ooops, put a call into the PC police. I think I just made a PC blunder.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How did it come to this, cops in schools? When I was a kid we had nuns. Enough said.

This un-newsworthy, non-story does illustrate problems with the K-12 public school system, lack of respect for peers and authority and how people will not accept responsibility for their actions. Everyone wants to blame someone else for their own failures. I will now attempt to spread some of the blame around.

This student's parents failed to instill in her the basic concept of respect or she rejected their efforts. Respect for her teachers, fellow students and herself.

The classroom teacher failed to do his/her job of enforcing the no phone rule and controlling the class.

The assistant principal also failed to enforce the no phone rule and control the situation so he/she had to call for police backup. In my school days, assistant principals were male and the school disciplinarian (badass). If an assistant principal was ever called to a classroom for a discipline problem, somebody was in a world of hurt.

What happened prior to the SRO's appearance? Why couldn't a classroom teacher with the aid of an assistant principal handle the situation? Why did the SRO have to be called? What if the SRO couldn't get the girl to comply, call in SWAT, the National Guard, use nuclear force?

The cop failed to exercise a bit of self control. I do think he did the right thing by forcible removing the girl from the classroom, thus regaining control of the situation for the teacher and assistant principal. But he probably should have done so with a little less enthusiasm.

I was involved in a similar situation as the SRO when I was a school bus driver. I had to extricate a high school boy from his seat by the window, drag him to the front of the bus and deposit him on the floor next to the driver's seat. This didn't make the news. I heard nothing from his parents, school officials or the owner of the bus company. The kid's mom may have asked him why his tee shirt looked like someone tied it into a knot in the middle of his chest. I'm sure he didn't tell her the truth. This kid wanted to test me to see how far he could go. He found out.

Back to cops in schools. SRO is an an acronym for Student Resource Officer. At this school it appears that the cops are a resource for the teachers and staff, not the students. A more apt title for this cop would be Faculty Resource Officer. Ooops, put a call into the PC police. I think I just made a PC blunder.

Well said!!! There is an epidemic in this country of people who do not respect authority, you don't have to like authority, you just have to respect it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's kind of an incomplete report, shockingly enough.
It was 96 students, out of an enrollment of 2059 students, and they were out of class for all of 10 minutes. One of the the organizers of the protest, senior John Cassibry said, "I believe it is important as a student to voice my opinion. My belief on Deputy Fields is just that... I do believe he was too aggressive, but I do not believe it was any circumstance to lose his job, nor do I believe it was race-driven."

Part of what drove the protests is that Fields is generally well liked by the students, while the student who got body slammed is nearly universally hated by the entire student body. She must be a real slice of sunshine, that one.

Reactions: vandriver2

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not sure what interjecting race has to do with this particular discussion.
It's going to happen-- a white cop arresting a black person. As well as a white cop arresting a white person aggressively. Just because the white officer used an aggressive tactic( without injury) on a black person, some will automatically assume it's a racial incident. They see what they want to see and rarely can look beyond color and judge it by the particular situation and circumstances.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's an interesting read, for the police apologists and non-apologists alike. This one didn't make the news probably because it didn't conform to the mainstream media's boilerplate driving while black. It did go viral on FaceBook though.
Mobile Uploads - Steven Hildreth, Jr. | Facebook

The only reason this man isn't dead is because he was armed. Cops usually only shoot unarmed black people. I guess they could have shot him after they disarmed him. Hmm, it was on FB so it is probably a plant to make the cops look like good guys.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Steven Hildreth, Jr is a veteran of the US Army Infantry, is the Infantry Fireteam Leader and an MP at the Arizona National Guard, and is a Security Supervisor at Securitas Security.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The girl was not injured.

Well, that makes it all ok, then.
If she'd landed differently, and snapped a cervical vertebra, [say C5], and became a total paraplegic, then it would have been too much force, is that what you're saying? :rolleyes:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of course she should have but that doesn't change the fact that the cop reacted like an idiot.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When are people gonna face the fact it was a freaking teenage girl in school with a cell phone. He'll she didn't even steal cigarettes, harass a store clerk or as far as I know she wasn't packing any skittles

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Does it realy matter the problem is that groups of people it this country believe that they are above the law ( that is young and old, black or white, male or female)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Of course she should have but that doesn't change the fact that the cop reacted like an idiot.
Yes, the cop reacted like an idiot, and should be dealt with! That said, the fact remains, if an authority figure askes you to do something, do it and these things don't happen.

Reactions: Ftransit

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The point is it shouldn't have happened even if she was being a spoiled brat it's called over reacting because it was the wrong way to handle it

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The point is it shouldn't have happened even if she was being a spoiled brat it's called over reacting because it was the wrong way to handle it
Maybe the arrest shouldn't have happened. As pointed out previously, it probably should have been dealt with differently by school officials regarding the response to the girl and also summoning an officer to take care of the situation.
But since the officer was called and he decided to arrest her, it was nothing but a more aggressive style of an arrest.