Did he fear for his life?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Second, regarding Turtle's comment that schools are reversing the cell phone bans, and largely at the parents' request, I wonder whether the [very real] possibility of a mass shooting at school isn't playing a large part in their [the parents] thinking?
I also think that plays a factor, but it wasn't specifically mentioned in any of the 3 articles I read. Most of the parents' desire to be able to quickly and easily contact their kids stems more from helicopter parenting than anything, even though that term wasn't specifically mentioned, either. Not being able to cut the cord, GPS tracking, school shootings, helicopter parenting... it's all intertwined in there.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First, I agree that the officer simply used more force than needed to accomplish the job. Not only does that foster disrespect for law enforcement, it risks injury to the person being arrested, detained, whatever - it's much smarter to avoid the risk.
Second, regarding Turtle's comment that schools are reversing the cell phone bans, and largely at the parents' request, I wonder whether the [very real] possibility of a mass shooting at school isn't playing a large part in their [the parents] thinking?
I don't think it's because parents want to be able to contact their offspring during classes - it's so their offspring can dial 911 if the worst happens. After the events of the past few years, nobody thinks it "can't happen" in their kid's school anymore.
Gosh, I hadn't thought about that....valid point!

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Saw that article earlier, said the officer did not follow protocols, what I wonder is, in that situation, what was the "approved" thing to do?
His Protocol didn't have 'body slam her to the floor" in it....so says his Superiors.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a feeling what ended up happening is what she had in mind when she started this incident. How much you want to bet that the family has already retained a lawyer?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wonder why the school administrators didn't call her guardians - since there were no parents - and tell them to come to the school and take her away, at which point they could have served notice of her expulsion? The officer and one of his assistants could have picked up her and the desk and carried her to another location to wait for her ride. It's a bit surprising that these schools didn't have a policy in place for dealing with unruly brats who in some cases could be bigger than the adults. But then again, we're talking about the competence of high school administrators who IMHO should be held just as accountable as the deputy for the actions that were taken, since he was acting under their direction.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Saw that article earlier, said the officer did not follow protocols, what I wonder is, in that situation, what was the "approved" thing to do?

He released hold of her during the arrest, which violates the arrest protocol according to the sheriff. Ironically, he let go of her when he chucked her.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But then again, we're talking about the competence of high school administrators who IMHO should be held just as accountable as the deputy for the actions that were taken, since he was acting under their direction.
The principle and teacher have already both said they didn't think the SRO did anything wrong.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
How many millions do you suppose the student will receive? Scratch the HS diploma if that happens.
If there had been a black officer in the building or if someone had called t0 send one over, all this nonsense would have never escalated this far, but , hey, the way this went down, someone is gonna make some big bucks.....Way down upon the...........river......whoops, sorry, that was racial......

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He released hold of her during the arrest, which violates the arrest protocol according to the sheriff. Ironically, he let go of her when he chucked her.
Ticky tack stuff. She was tangled up a bit in her school chair as he tried to extricate her from it. The officer losing his job over this is just the result of politically correct cowardice from the Sherrif's department .

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ticky tack stuff. She was tangled up a bit in her school chair as he tried to extricate her from it. The officer losing his job over this is just the result of politically correct cowardice from the Sherrif's department .
Like I said....when do we stop blaming the police.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

'Didn't follow protocols' is just an excuse to use by the Sherrif's department when political correct bs hits the fan. Apparently any amount of force would have been too much. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
'Didn't follow protocols' is just an excuse to use by the Sherrif's department when political correct bs hits the fan. Apparently any amount of force would have been too much.
Really, you don't truly believe if he had slid her and the desk out into the hall it would have been called to much force now do you?

The majority of times I'm on the cops side, this time the guy went way overboard. Tangled in the desk, she was to blame, blah blah blah. Just like in any profession there are good and bad, this time the bad goes to the cop, see ya mr occifer.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Really, you don't truly believe if he had slid her and the desk out into the hall it would have been called to much force now do you?

The majority of times I'm on the cops side, this time the guy went way overboard. Tangled in the desk, she was to blame, blah blah blah. Just like in any profession there are good and bad, this time the bad goes to the cop, see ya mr occifer.
It wasn't necessary to slide her it to the hallway, but yes, that would have been excessive. In this instance though, the officer was taking her out of her school desk. And because she was resisting, her legs snagged in the desk. The officer merely separated her from the desk and slid her along the floor a few feet so he could cuff her. Disagree the officer went way overboard. I think it's ridiculous that he lost his job over this. Sherrif's department went way overboard. Just curious how you would have taken her out of the chair? Or if anyone else who wants to answer how they would have taken her out of the chair? What technique to use when she was resisting?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't have I would have just slid the chair, easy peasy. Just like some always blames the cops some will never blame them. Both perspectives are wrong.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It wasn't necessary to slide her it to the hallway, but yes, that would have been excessive. In this instance though, the officer was taking her out of her school desk. And because she was resisting, her legs snagged in the desk. The officer merely separated her from the desk and slid her along the floor a few feet so he could cuff her. Disagree the officer went way overboard. I think it's ridiculous that he lost his job over this. Sherrif's department went way overboard. Just curious how you would have taken her out of the chair? Or if anyone else who wants to answer how they would have taken her out of the chair? What technique to use when she was resisting?

Anyone who can reply intelligently to "how would you have done it" should have training in dealing with resistance, as LEOs are supposed to. If memory serves, that training requires them to use the least amount of force that will effectively work, and to increase it only if necessary. It is clear that this officer didn't do that. It's also clear that he didn't think ahead, because removing someone from that kind of chair can get tricky in a hurry, as it did. His best option would have been to lift her and the chair and remove them both, while reevaluating the next step.
Decisions made in a 'snap' fashion often are the wrong ones. [This I know from personal experience, lol] She wasn't a threat to his safety, so no need to subdue her instantly, as he did.

Reactions: vandriver2

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Like I said....when do we stop blaming the police.

When they're in the wrong? Never.
When they are doing the best job they can, we support them. That's how it works. It's not black & white, always wrong or always right.