Dibetes..The Silent Killer

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
all righty some of you wanted updates on my Journey with Diabetes, I'll try to update once a week, so far...I was at the Doctor this Morning, here are my starting Numbers, Weight 253 pounds.(down from 273 at Christmas) my Blood Sugar was 388 this morning before insulin, havent check it after yet thay said wait 2 hours,my blood pressure was 144/82, low for me but still high. I have a great support group behind me, I starting somewhat of a exercise Program gonna be a mall walker a hour a day to start. I've set a goal to get down to 200 pounds and eat a healthy diet (which the Doc gave me books on) and signed up for a Diabetes Class once a week. my goal is to be off the needle in 3 months. Peace! Jim

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Jim,
I asked this before in the other thread, how's that going to work with the DOT, taking insulin is type one, right? Waiver is needed to get back on the road, right?

Watch out for dietatians, they are not experts of your body but generalist and few understand the GI index and it will interact with you. Very few can show you how to build your own index to narrow down what you can and can not eat. The GI index is not perfect or consistent and even if you follow the standard diets, it may not be enough.

Exercise, diet and weight loss didn't do crap for me until just recently, but building my own index and limiting hidden sugar did. I went from really high levels to actually really good levels and what changed was the consistent use of my personal GI index and portion control was reduced to an average 1200 calories daily intake with an increase of vitamins.

Just wondering why the other thread was locked?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe someone felt two different streams of input would be confusing...

But does a Dr have to report this to the DOT immediately
..or does he have until his next dot exam to get it under control?
Note he did say he was taking 3 months off to do this...

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Twenty pounds in less than a month! Thats outstanding.
Greg, insulin is a complete no go for a CDL holder.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good Luck Jim. Dropping the 20 pounds is a great start!! My wife teaches walking clinics and the results she gets from her students are amazing for just walking....I should really do the same!

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Insulin is not a total block to a CDL, it is a hassel,but doable if your doc is willing to jump through the dot hoops with you; good luck, this crap will control your life unless you really stay after it. good luck...

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Insulin is not a total block to a CDL, it is a hassel,but doable if your doc is willing to jump through the dot hoops with you; good luck, this crap will control your life unless you really stay after it. good luck...

§391.41 Physical qualifications for drivers.
(b)(3) Has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of diabetes mellitus currently requiring insulin for control;

§391.43 Medical examination; certificate of physical qualification.
Diabetes. If insulin is necessary to control a diabetic driver’s condition, the driver is not qualified to operate a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce. If mild diabetes is present and it is controlled by use of an oral hypoglycemic drug and/or diet and exercise, it should not be considered disqualifying. However, the driver must remain under adequate medical supervision.

I don't see any hoops here to jump through.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that's the waiver part. The insulin doesn't stop you dead but it puts a big obstacle in your way.

How do I obtain a federal exemption or waiver?

If you don’t meet certain physical or medical standards included in Section 391.41(b) Title 49 CFR (Federal Motor Carrier Regulations), you may be able to continue driving interstate if you qualify for a federal (interstate) exemption or waiver. Federal exemptions or waivers can be granted for the following:

• Loss of limb or limb impairment (exemption) - see Section 391.41(b)(1) or (2) of Title 49 CFR
  • Diabetes (waiver) - see Section 391.41(b)(3) of Title 49 CFR
  • Vision problems (exemption) - see Section 391.41(b)(10) of Title 49 CFR

Don't know if he even needs a waiver at this time, Obviously under 10k drivers seem to again fall out of that category.

I know of two people who drive with the waiver, they are using the "pump". I won't go into the other issues.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jim,
I asked this before in the other thread, how's that going to work with the DOT, taking insulin is type one, right? Waiver is needed to get back on the road, right?

Watch out for dietatians, they are not experts of your body but generalist and few understand the GI index and it will interact with you. Very few can show you how to build your own index to narrow down what you can and can not eat. The GI index is not perfect or consistent and even if you follow the standard diets, it may not be enough.

Exercise, diet and weight loss didn't do crap for me until just recently, but building my own index and limiting hidden sugar did. I went from really high levels to actually really good levels and what changed was the consistent use of my personal GI index and portion control was reduced to an average 1200 calories daily intake with an increase of vitamins.

Just wondering why the other thread was locked?

Greg I have no idea yet on the DOT other than if on shots I can't drive or at least that what I believe. I don't know why the other thread was locked...somebody is lock happy

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
GI index

Wiki - everyone can edit it- pedia

The glycemic index, glycaemic index, or GI is a measure of the effects of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels. Carbohydrates that break down quickly during digestion and release glucose bloodstream have a high GI; carbohydrates that break down more slowly, releasing glucose more gradually into the bloodstream, have a low GI. The concept was developed by Dr. David J. Jenkins and colleagues in 1980–1981 at the University of Toronto in their research to find out which foods were best for people with diabetes.

The one issue about dietitians is some ignore this little issue about the GI and tell people "sure eat lots of fresh fruits" but don't get that some people are intolerant of fruit sugars - I'm one of them.

It took me a while to find someone who knew about the GI index and help me with building my own index - everyone is different.

From what I understood is that even temporary use of insulin is a stopper because you have to document everything like this on the DOT form.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thank you, Greg.
I'm not diabetic, nor were many of the patients I cared for [Trauma/Orthopaedic unit], but it's good to know stuff anyway. :)

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Referred to the backside of page 1 of my long form.
Buried there (but listed nowhere in the regs I quoted earlier from the FMCSA website) is a phone number. (202) 366-1790 for an application for a diabetes exemption.
So there IS a loophole apparently.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have to call you, youre in my prayers.Contemplating on running local, just getting burnt out being out here since 1989.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to call you, youre in my prayers.Contemplating on running local, just getting burnt out being out here since 1989.

I've look local and had no luck maybe I burned to many bridges in my local years, call me next time your home we can do coffee

greg334

Veteran Expediter
NP Cheri, I hope you never get there either. It is a b*tch of a problem and sometimes there are no easy answers or good doctors to treat people.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I don't know how to show a previous post on here, but on 10/15/2007 grog111 wrote about the waiver process for type one/insulin using drivers to get and keep their cdl. Perhaps one of you site experts can find and post the thread, it was helpful. Thx, Greg

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know how to show a previous post on here

It's easy. hi light and copy the link address from your address bar at the top of the page. Open a reply.
Along the top of the reply box you have drop down menu's 'Fonts' 'Sizes' then 'A' and a Smiley. STOP.
Look directly under that smiley and click that ball looking thingy with the chain link.
A little pop up box will appear for you to paste that address into.
You're done!

guido4475

Not a Member
I've look local and had no luck maybe I burned to many bridges in my local years, call me next time your home we can do coffee

Yea, that would be great!My girlfreind says there a quite a few ads in the Cleveland area for local o/o's for vans,It has just been so long since I ran local,I don't know who the scumbags are anymore.