Dibetes..The Silent Killer

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea, that would be great!My girlfreind says there a quite a few ads in the Cleveland area for local o/o's for vans,It has just been so long since I ran local,I don't know who the scumbags are anymore.

I'll fill you in on who's who I've been in and out of the courier biz for years

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Fastman, a friend of mine found a dietitian that incorporated the GI index into her diet plan, they are out there. Good luck at getting this under control and hope you can get back out on the road soon.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wish it was a requirement for all Dietitians but alas it isn't.

There are a few other things that people need to be aware of about Diabetes and this profession.

Stress is a major problem in controlling glucose levels. If you are under a lot of stress, your glucose level will be high. This also goes for if you are faced with an issue like an accident, where you are stressed out - watch your glucose level.

With the up and coming changes with the DOT to register, train doctors, people going through this process may have a harder time with the 'new' process and have more stress. I was talking to my company a hour ago and told them I think it is a mistake because of the quality of clinic doctors opposed to the quality of GPs - but it was lost in the white noise.

Sleep is also a major issue, if you are not getting the right amount of sleep, which often means uninterrupted sleep for most of us, your glucose level will be higher.

Medication is a problem, make sure that if your doctor gives you a script that it does not counteract with any thing you already take. The doctors do not learn side effects of many of the drugs that they prescribe and depend on the drug rep for some of these new (and advertised) drugs.

With that last one, see what you are taking now, see if you fit into a small adverse effected group with that drug. For example a supplement blood pressure med I was taking may have actually triggered my diabetes because .3% of the study group in the phase three studies ended up with type 2 diabetes and was super sensitive to fruit like me. It took a lot of digging for that info but I found it. .3% doesn't sound like a lot but if you are one of them, it does make a difference.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Sleep is also a major issue, if you are not getting the right amount of sleep, which often means uninterrupted sleep for most of us, your glucose level will be higher.

Medication is a problem, make sure that if your doctor gives you a script that it does not counteract with any thing you already take. The doctors do not learn side effects of many of the drugs that they prescribe and depend on the drug rep for some of these new (and advertised) drugs.
Greg hit the nail on the head. Proper sleep is crucial and not just to diabetes but your general health. If you are over weight by any significant amount you have excellent chances of having an obstructive sleep apnea. I had mine diagnosed over 3 years ago and I've used a CPAP ever since.
Literally it was the difference between night and day in how I felt in the morning! I've heard many men (and not a few women) whine about using one and saying 'I'll never get used to that'
BULLHOCKEY!
If you can sleep in a moving truck you sure as hades aren't gonna be bothered by a CPAP mask. Besides once you've used it a night or two and realized you weren't really sleeping before...you will get over what ever objection you have to the thing.
As for meds...I do my own checks, heck with trusting a doctor to know what a driver can/can't use.